Thief/Rogue/Assassin Suggestions

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
So I looked at MO1 to see what skills that game had that , as it seems to be a good indicator for what the skills will be in MO2.

It appeared to be missing a skill i would regard as ESSENTIAL for a class that pertains to thievery/assassination...

Quiet movement.

Now, i never played MO1, so maybe someone can tell me if this was a thing.. But I just can't see how i'm going to sneak up and backstab someone when they can hear my footsteps...It feels pretty integral to the assassin/thief style.. The whole point of roles like this is to catch the opponent unaware. How would we do this when they can hear our footsteps through seven walls?

This could be implemented by a sneaking stance, or just a skill that makes your movement more silent.. Or maybe just a skill that makes all of the character's sounds more quiet.

Maybe it could be limited to soft armors only.. I already see Henrik talking about having weakspot chance being tied to armor lightness.. Why not add a silent footstep skill or sneaking stance that you can use with these softer armors?

Other than that, the rest of the MO1 skills look great for the thief/assassin role.

You have backstab as a sub-branch of daggers, makes sense.. You also have thievery, and all the things dedicated to that. I just would really like to see silent movement as some sort of skill to truly allow us to sneak up on our opponent. Note, i'm not asking for anything as broken as invisibility. Just silent movement, or perhaps a skill that reduces sound the higher it is. 50 skill being quieter, 100 being able to move with complete silence.

I'm also not suggesting this should be tied to sprint, silent sprinting might be pretty broken; who knows.. Maybe your regular movement free of sprint would be fine, but have sprinting still make the full sound? Or a reduced sound?

If someone could let me know if something like this was in MO1, that would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Rhias

May 28, 2020
I think the movement sound depends on your lower body armor.
IMHO light armor makes pretty low sound...

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Mo1 didnt have any sneaking or backstabbing. The thieving system was pretty straight forward. You could look inside people’s inventory if you were close to them. Looking was legal but the target would get a message in chat that you were snooping.
You could take items based on weight, so nothing heavier than a stack of 100 coins. As soon as you took something you went local grey to the the victim. He then had to hit you or push you to turn you global grey, and then guards would kill you.

Most thieves would hang out naked by the bank where most people stand still while browsing inventories. Then move behind their victim and, once they stole, they would run away to avoid getting hit. With the FP view there is enough of a blind spot that a good thief can come up unnoticed. Banks are also usually busy enough that sound doesnt matter.

Having said that it was really easy to avoid getting stuff stolen. All you had to do is keep everything in your inventory in larger stacks or keep it in your horse bags. Single items like trinkets, deeds, potions, etc were the ones that got stollen. It was more of a mini game than anything else.

Last edited: