The Case for a General Chat

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
If no reason for general chat, then remove guild chat as well. Not realistic that you can talk to someone on the other side of the map. But then I forget that this game just cares about quality of life for big guilds

Same for alert tower messages. Restrict the radius of notification. Why can I "hear" an alert in the MK area when I'm in Meduli?

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I think the best set of chat channels should be as follows:

Help chat - Available indefinitely while the character is on Haven, once on the mainland it is on a 72-hour in-game timer. After that, the character is removed from it forever.

Local town chat - Available to all within a radius of the town that covers the town area plus the outskirts. Those who are citizens of a town will have a [Citizen] tag next to their name.

Proximity chat - What we have now, essentially local chat that can be heard within a short radius of the player talking.

Proximity yell - Same as what we have now as yell, has a larger radius than proximity chat.

Guild chat - The general chat exclusively available to members of a guild everywhere on the map.

No wilderness chat. Out there, no one can hear you scream. Except maybe the Predator.

Reactions: Xunila

azezal

Mar 27, 2024
Guild chat should have the same range as local chat, unless there is general chat. In the wilderness no one can hear you scream? Your guild members can.

If there is general chat then guild chat and general chat should be worldwide.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Guild chat should have the same range as local chat, unless there is general chat. In the wilderness no one can hear you scream? Your guild members can.

If there is general chat then guild chat and general chat should be worldwide.
The expression "no one can hear you scream" makes sense to people that if you go out there, don't expect to be able to communicate with every Tom, Dick and Harry.

And, only your guild members should be able to communicate with you out there. That is where general chat should end.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Why? Why should guilds get the communication advantage? What magical device do you get as soon as you become a guild member?
I see guild chat as just a miniscule extension of what every guild already has outside of the game through Discord, Teamspeak, etc. Those are already giving guilds the communication tools which can do far more than a simplistic guild chat ever could.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xunila

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
I see guild chat as just a miniscule extension of what every guild already has outside of the game through Discord, Teamspeak, etc. Those are already giving guilds the communication tools which can do far more than a simplistic guild chat ever could.
Discord is available to everyone. This is what makes not having general chat idiotic. It achieves nothing effectively.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
By your logic, since discord is available to everyone, there is no need for general chat. Discord already serves that purpose. Go use discord.
People already use enough 3rd party crutches to even make the game playable, just a few examples:
- discord being a trading replacement for the game due to SV's incompetence in making a functioning broker UI; if you doubt it try finding a good trinket on the market as an exercise in self harm.
- mortal online map site: Since the game limits player's map use without any real payback in the form of some cartography skills that could be used to add nuance, everyone uses this map site that has an additional function of twitch view botting.
- mortal online build calculator: The game's character build system is so badly explained to players that this is a must have to even play the game and make a functioning build.
- mortal online crafting calculator, book lookup and etc: See point above, same principle applies here.

All of these would be part of the game if a competent developer made it. As is, this is some private server quality level shit.