The Case for a General Chat

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
So, if i'm gathering correctly... The reason we don't have a general chat is mainly due to PVP callouts, and some attempt to maintain immersion.

I like that idea, it makes sense ON PAPER.

In practice? It turns out to be a very anti-solo and pro-guild solution.

You see... Guilds are like a hivemind. If i attack a guild, they will swarm me like cockroaches from nowhere... Why? They use alternate methods to communicate.

They don't follow this rule of immersion, and they get to callout with impunity behind the scenes. So what is the point of not having a general chat? All it does is harm the solo player, who is already at a disadvantage anyway.

Second.

The game has a LOT of grind based stuff, whether it be skills or gathering resources.. The game has grind. The chat is VERY helpful for keeping boredom at bay during these moments of grind.. Or maybe it is a moment of downtime in the wild. You're resting and recovering your health, so you use the chat whilst you wait.

This is HELPFUL for your game, because it means people are staying tuned into the game and not going elsewhere.

You have to understand... This is the age of low attention spans and ADHD. People playing your game probably have a youtube video or music going in the background or on their second monitor. People can't go long without stimulation anymore. Why give people the chance to look elsewhere when they could so very easily be distracted by a chat? Every moment they look away from the game, you've lost their interest, and you may then have them not play the game for the rest of the day because they get sidetracked, which overall, impacts the game negatively. It may even be the catalyst that leads to them finding another game they replace MO2 with...

I'm just saying, why give them the chance when denying us a chat doesn't change callouts as it relates to guilds. Let us also add, because guild members are associated by the fact they are in the same guild, it also increases the likelihood their callout will reap rewards.

The people who benefit most from callouts already do it, and they already break the attempt at immersion by being like a hivemind. So what is the point of not having a general chat? It makes no sense and would only benefit the game.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
General chat always degenerates in racists, homophobic, sexists, angry, and hateful speech. Always, always, always. People just cant help themselves. Even in help chat people go to vent, argue and call people names.

This is not a solo friendly game. Get in a group and you will have guild chat and voice coms.

General chat is not needed.

Backpackface

Jul 18, 2021
General chat always degenerates in racists, homophobic, sexists, angry, and hateful speech. Always, always, always. People just cant help themselves. Even in help chat people go to vent, argue and call people names.

This is not a solo friendly game. Get in a group and you will have guild chat and voice coms.

General chat is not needed.
Robmo is that you?

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Current help chat is full of shit talk and trash. Sometimes I'm following the help chat and try to answer on real help question. But it's difficult to see the real questions. Most players disable the help chat anyway.

The idea of a help channel is good and I like it. But the players are killing the good idea.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
forever help chat is yet another degeneration from MO1.

World chat is indeed toxic, even worse in a single world sandbox. It's not like they still care much about the game being immersive (imo?) but it's a huge immersion breaker. I can't believe people play with help chat on. I can't believe people would want world chat.

What in the 'world' no pun would be the purpose? To tell people where to zerg?

You can still get a lot of info from other places, and that is, in a way, sad, but at least it's not directly in game.

As for help being a good idea, it's arguably NOT. It could be if they designated certain people to be the helpers and have the rest be actual nubs, but the fact that it is open to all is a joooke.

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
I think there should be region chats like jungle/northern/forest/desert/ect to help build a sense of community among solo players that are not in a guild. Keeping chats to a region would aid against world wide alerts.

Another idea, I think a better one, is being able to have citizenship in one of the towns and then making a citizens chat for all of those that belong to that city faction. I think this would go a long way to build community especially if we could display that citizenship tag with our name.

I would imagine many ganks would cease to happen once the attackers found out "Oh hes one of us, don't kill him" and yes of course some still would but having that sense of "belonging" to something, a city, I think would go a long way bringing people together, as well as having other city rivals too...

Of course make the conditions to get citizenship a little involved, we wouldn't want people willy nilly jumping around too easily constantly changing their citizenship.

azezal

Mar 27, 2024
Why not just have an unmoderated global chat or regional chat and if people get upset they can always switch it off? It's an adult game but feels like it treats its customers like kids sometimes.

Eventually someone will make a mod and everyone will start using it anyway. People get banned by auto bot from official discord and the reason most don't use unofficial is that there are too many of them to serve as a global chat.

Besides I hate using discord because mostly I just see zoomers posting picture memes. I would prefer something with just text only.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Why not just have an unmoderated global chat or regional chat and if people get upset they can always switch it off? It's an adult game but feels like it treats its customers like kids sometimes.

Eventually someone will make a mod and everyone will start using it anyway. People get banned by auto bot from official discord and the reason most don't use unofficial is that there are too many of them to serve as a global chat.

Besides I hate using discord because mostly I just see zoomers posting picture memes. I would prefer something with just text only.
Because of the potential for lawsuits. Companies have legal obligations to take steps to protect the users (especially young ones) of their product from being bullied or harassed or exposed to extremism, sexual exploitation or illegal activities and so on. An unmoderated channel would open the door for all sorts of potential legal issues.

The internet its not a a flower picking picnic in a meadow of kumbaya. Companies have a responsibility to monitor their public spaces and safeguard their paying customers.

On top of that it would be bad PR for a gaming company to be known as enablers of harassment and bulling. MO is already on the edge of having such a reputation with its very greefy gameplay.

Last edited:

azezal

Mar 27, 2024
Because of the potential for lawsuits. Companies have legal obligations to take steps to protect the users (especially young ones) of their product from being bullied or harassed or exposed to extremism, sexual exploitation or illegal activities and so on. An unmoderated channel would open the door for all sorts of potential legal issues.

The internet its not a a flower picking picnic in a meadow of kumbaya. Companies have a responsibility to monitor their public spaces and safeguard their paying customers.

On top of that it would be bad PR for a gaming company to be known as enablers of harassment and bulling. MO is already on the edge of having such a reputation with its very greefy gameplay.
Meant to be an adult game. Most other games I play the chat is not policed. Although it's against the rules to be racist for example, someone actually has to take screenshots and manually send them to support to get someone chat banned. Obviously I'm against racism, but restricting stuff is a slippery slope, where it gets to the point people can't even say anything bad about the game.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I think there should be region chats like jungle/northern/forest/desert/ect to help build a sense of community among solo players that are not in a guild. Keeping chats to a region would aid against world wide alerts.

Another idea, I think a better one, is being able to have citizenship in one of the towns and then making a citizens chat for all of those that belong to that city faction. I think this would go a long way to build community especially if we could display that citizenship tag with our name.

I would imagine many ganks would cease to happen once the attackers found out "Oh hes one of us, don't kill him" and yes of course some still would but having that sense of "belonging" to something, a city, I think would go a long way bringing people together, as well as having other city rivals too...

Of course make the conditions to get citizenship a little involved, we wouldn't want people willy nilly jumping around too easily constantly changing their citizenship.
SV, please implement this.

Reactions: Backpackface

CherryKush

Jan 25, 2022
SV, please implement this.
If you were a citizen of a city and had your city chat Imagine the organization that would take place to go and attack rival cities, do dungeons, ect.... Would be a lot of fun I think... It's the perfect way to get a bunch of solo players organized by letting them be part of a faction. Citizenship with city chat would do this. (y)

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

interesting, the citizenship part!

https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalOnline2/comments/1bu2f1q
But the chat part, I dunno, can just walk around and talk to people? I DO THAT. I find it helpful. If people were labeled as citizens tho that would be cool.

Sally

Dec 2, 2023
Current help chat is full of shit talk and trash. Sometimes I'm following the help chat and try to answer on real help question. But it's difficult to see the real questions. Most players disable the help chat anyway.

The idea of a help channel is good and I like it. But the players are killing the good idea.
Exactly, it is hilarious. Why on earth do you want it to be all friendly. Are we not adults? Why are you trying to make it into a baby play park?

Listen.. You all need to understand : people WANT drama and conflict; we are starved of it in our real lives. Whether it is in the chat, in the game, there is a winner, a loser. It gets our blood pumping. It is fun.

"Toxicity" is some made up term that means literally anything the viewer wants it to mean. I could say "pineapple" and that would be toxic to someone out there.

STOP with these idiotic rules based in subjectivity. It is moronic. You CANNOT have a rule based on something fluid like subjectivity. It does NOT work. I know you'd be fooled into thinking it does, because our governments around the world use these grey area rules so they throw anyone in prison on a whim, but they are nonsense. They are used by sleazy tyrants to exploit the low IQ who can't distinguish between objectivity and subjectivity.

Please, rules based in objectivity ONLY. Please also stop with the babyland game chat. We are adults who want an adult chat.

I get we're always going to have our special class of insults that are too "offensive", i have to let that go, so long as we can just chat globally, that is enough for me. Also, we should be able to insult eachother because it is funny, so long as people aren't getting doxxed or anything, what is the harm in saying "You so bad at game!!!!". Like, who cares?

Again, i can't believe i have to say this but.. We are adults. Insulting people is a part of life, an important part of being human. I can't believe we really live in a world where people want to exclude something like this. What next? We ban the human emotion hatred? That is where it is going. The fact is, i know people will see this view as extreme, which just shows how pathetic people are these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gnidex

SirTexasSir

Jan 29, 2022
Texas

Think they really need to put a timer on it like they had in MO1 so after so long you are removed. The other thing is they should pick some helpers so that GM's don't have to monitor it 24/7 and have them be like moderators (since they aren't GM's) for the help chat when they are online.

As for call outs and such. Guilds have there own channel, though most use discord also. Alliances tend to use discord. There really isn't a reason to have a in game general chat. If you wat to be social than use local and do a bit of RP with others. We even have a Yell command but not sure if it even works.

Reactions: Xunila

azezal

Mar 27, 2024
Think they really need to put a timer on it like they had in MO1 so after so long you are removed. The other thing is they should pick some helpers so that GM's don't have to monitor it 24/7 and have them be like moderators (since they aren't GM's) for the help chat when they are online.

As for call outs and such. Guilds have there own channel, though most use discord also. Alliances tend to use discord. There really isn't a reason to have a in game general chat. If you wat to be social than use local and do a bit of RP with others. We even have a Yell command but not sure if it even works.

If no reason for general chat, then remove guild chat as well. Not realistic that you can talk to someone on the other side of the map. But then I forget that this game just cares about quality of life for big guilds