The best Race for different Builds.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
i havent tested it in mo2 but the stances used to give a static addition/reduction in damage in addition to the percentage. for aggressive stance this works in the favor of fast hitting, low damage weapons, and while not as great for slower/higher damage weapons, the percentage increase (5%) becomes more important for them.

defensive was insane because the static reduction happened *after* the armor reduction, making it extremely good for tank geared toons

i suggest you test with different damaging weapons to see if the percentages really work out like you think

-barcode

Reactions: Rhias

Rhias

May 28, 2020
i havent tested it in mo2 but the stances used to give a static addition/reduction in damage in addition to the percentage. for aggressive stance this works in the favor of fast hitting, low damage weapons, and while not as great for slower/higher damage weapons, the percentage increase (5%) becomes more important for them.

defensive was insane because the static reduction happened *after* the armor reduction, making it extremely good for tank geared toons

i suggest you test with different damaging weapons to see if the percentages really work out like you think

-barcode

Actually it does not. It only apply's to the certain condition we tested.
Steel armor vs bow.
Without defensive stance damage was ~26-28.
With defensive stance damage was ~22-23.
With defensive stance and oghmir clade gift it was ~19-20.
With the active oghmir clade gift (defense when standing still) it was ~8-9.

For agressive stance we tested:
damage without: ~31-32
damage with: ~36-38

Reactions: Xunila

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
what i'm saying is, if you test with low damage weapons and high damage weapons you should see very different percentages in the bonus from aggressive stance (same for defensive stance).

-barcode

Reactions: Rhias

Rhias

May 28, 2020
what i'm saying is, if you test with low damage weapons and high damage weapons you should see very different percentages in the bonus from aggressive stance (same for defensive stance).

-barcode

Yeah, I understood this.
Low damage weapon = higher impact of aggressive stance in %.
Same goes for deffensive stance and the armor.
Better armor = higher impact of defensive stance in %.

Edit:
Probably the beginning of my last message was a bit confusing:
Actually it does not.
What I actually wanted to say:
It is not a static % increase.

Bleak

Jun 15, 2022
I'm very curious to create a pure archer build. I was sold on a pure Veela foot archer with possibly a spear or dagger to maximize the use of dex. But the more I read, the more I'm concerned about the viability of this build. I purchased the game nearly a week ago and have not yet played at all. This is ridiculous, but I do not want to keep making characters and re-rolling them because I do not like them. So I am trying to think of what I would like to play the most and shoot for that at start. From there, I can change if I need to, but I really am trying to do my research first.

My playstyle, I usually played ranged DPS in just about every game I've ever played, especially in PvP. WoW - Hunter, ShadowBane - Mage Assassin, SWTOR - Sith Inquisitor, EQ - Necromancer (although not much PVP back then). I love mobility and escapability, and don't mind sacrificing high dps for survivability, however, I do love critical hits. I was looking at the Dex foot fighter on this build, but really want to use a bow. Would you be willing to adapt that build into a viable bow build with either a dagger or spear as secondary melee weapon? I know this would only be using a short bow, but not sure if I could get a decent enough short bow while maintaining that high end Dex with the Veela due to the lack of strength.

Dazin

Jan 29, 2022
I'm very curious to create a pure archer build. I was sold on a pure Veela foot archer with possibly a spear or dagger to maximize the use of dex. But the more I read, the more I'm concerned about the viability of this build. I purchased the game nearly a week ago and have not yet played at all. This is ridiculous, but I do not want to keep making characters and re-rolling them because I do not like them. So I am trying to think of what I would like to play the most and shoot for that at start. From there, I can change if I need to, but I really am trying to do my research first.

My playstyle, I usually played ranged DPS in just about every game I've ever played, especially in PvP. WoW - Hunter, ShadowBane - Mage Assassin, SWTOR - Sith Inquisitor, EQ - Necromancer (although not much PVP back then). I love mobility and escapability, and don't mind sacrificing high dps for survivability, however, I do love critical hits. I was looking at the Dex foot fighter on this build, but really want to use a bow. Would you be willing to adapt that build into a viable bow build with either a dagger or spear as secondary melee weapon? I know this would only be using a short bow, but not sure if I could get a decent enough short bow while maintaining that high end Dex with the Veela due to the lack of strength.

So as someone who is newer to MO2 but has played all those games and more, I know exactly where your coming from as I’ve always played ranged support/dps. Unfortunately, pure archers are not viable in this game unless you want to build a wheelchair mounted archer which then of course has the major downside of being reliant on a horse and horses suck in this game.

Other than that, your stuck with mage or mage/tamer and being mostly a pocket healer in groups or melee and that’s it. There isn’t cc at all in the game yet so you can forget about much survivability as a mage especially given how long spells take to cast and very few doing much damage. Melee is well melee and despite some people claiming there are all these different builds it’s really just minor variations that support slightly different play styles like being front line vs mid line vs diving etc.

Necromancy might be what you‘re looking for as supposedly it will provide some cc and survivability. That’s what I’m waiting for and hope it offers a viable play style beyond the current options.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020

So the issue in MO is that for bows str is everything. Gives higher str bows which are more damage. And it raises the str threshold for moving with a bow stam penalty, which is important if your trying to chase or run away, strafe, etc. As archer only you get dunked if they get close you you need to be able to rune away. but the higher str builds are the slow ones. So its be fast so u can kinda run away (barely, you will very slowly get gap, its not like you can outrun them and turn around and shoot), or have strong bows but die when they get close because you are trying to go bow only.

The current meta is ogh mounted archer. Which is highest str bows, and best mounted archer build because the worse speed doesnt matter mounted. But they are also strong fighters when their mount dies, and can shoot MA's horses with their bow. If you play this is likely what you should make.

If you are dead set on playing foot archer only you could refund on steam if you havent played 2 hours yet. Will be instant refund. Pure archer only is just really bad. Dont want you to waste your money if you cant play what you want.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020

So yeah "pure" archer is absolute and total garbage. Every alvarin with melee will close on you and slaughter you. Alvarin are fairly popular, and most are smart enough to run at least a bit of melee.

Swapping between a spear and bow as you mentioned is entirely viable though. Spears are one of the best melee weapons, particularly in team fights. They suffer from predictability (They aren't very strong for side or overhead attacks) but have good reach, can be paired with a shield, it's difficult to distinguish between their thrust and righthand swing when they are welded two-handed (without a shield), and due to their strong thrusts they are good for team fights as their controlled thrusts have less chance of friendly fire than some other weapons.

If you're interested send me a PM Kaemik#0057 on Discord and I can help you customize a build veela skirmishers build that will be the closest you can get to viable foot archer build.

That being said, I'd like to suggest something else. Every single game you mentioned is tab-targeted. (Other than possibly Shadowbane, i never got to try that one unfortunately) MO2 is a whole different animal. Just because you enjoy ranged combat in other games doesn't mean you will here. I'd experiment a bit. You might find playstyles you enjoy more. You wouldn't be the first player I've known who has a "type" in other games and runs something totally different in MO2.

Reactions: Jatix

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
The Alvarin

This Build (Alvarin/Veela) can be used for Dex Mages, Dex Footfighters, Hybrids between a Footfighter and a Mage, and for Hybrids between a Mounted Archer/ Dex Footfighter.

A Dex Footfighter will be a bit faster as any other race, will receive lower Falldamage and can jump very high in Combatmode. He have a Buff that increase the Movementspeed for his Friends for arround 10 Seconds

He have an active Ability, that refill his Stamina to 100 %, if he stands still for arround 1-2 seconds. (all with 15 Min CD)

One of his passives allow him to regenerate Stamina faster when standing still.

Alvarins are Guerrilla fighters. Their abilitys from their Claid Gifts allow them to ambush a Player, and to escape from a dangerous situation, using the environment to their advantage. If an Alvarin is wearing a lighter Armor, he will be able to jump down Mountains, and be able to jump from Wall to Wall, or House to House in Citys such as Gaul Kur and Kranesh with a drawn weapon, and if he chooses to learn swimming, he can escape in the Water aswell, if he is using a light weight Armor.

Note: In huge Teamfights the Alvarin will get hit very hard, especially from havy Weapons, if he is using a light Armor ! He need to avoid and parry those attacks, or there will be no tomorrow, if he gets hit by a 5 kg + Weapon.

A Dex Footfighter is recommended for Players that want to use Spears and Daggers. He have much less damage Bonus, but 125 Dex will allow him to make Weakspot Hits with a Dagger and a Spear more often. Some Materials used for Weaponcrafting, get a much higher weakspot Chance, if a Player reach the 125 Dex cap. For this you need to be lean and suffer a good ammout of HP.

If a Player want to use Swords, it is recommended to aim for 120 Dex and to be Stout, because you are not using a weakspot Weapon. Being Stout, instead of being lean, will give you more HP and additional 5 Str and - 5 Dex.

This might also be important, if you want to play the Hybrid between Mounted Archer and a Dex Footfighter, becuase 2 Claid Gifts will give you -10 Str Requirement for Bows and Stout will give you additional 5 Str to pull a 110 Str Bow. If you are lean, you need to find a good Bow for 105 Str, which will do a bit less damage.

Note: The weight can always be changed from lean to stout later on, depending if you eat greasy or vegetarian food.

The Ogmir

The Ogmirs are known to be the most powerful magicians, Powerful Tanks and Mounted FIghters. Their resiliences are enormous.

The Ogmir can be played as a Fatmage, Mounted Mage, Max HP Foot Fighter, Mounted Fighter, Mounted Archer, Hybrid between Mounted Combat and a tanky Footfighter, or as a Hybrid between Mounted Archer and a tanky Footfighter.

The Hugar can reach 121 Str, which allow him to pull the best bows ingame. 121 Str are needed to wield mounted Combat Weapons, without being forced to use an expencive weapon Hilt.

The Ogmir have a slower movement speed as the Alvarin and as the Human.
His Claid Gifts allow him to wear heavier armor than any other race before getting penelties.
He can drink more Potionunits as any other Race.
He can smoke Ichor to regain a lot of HP during a fight.
He has the Passive Stone Skin. A natural resistance against piercing and slashing damage
He can go for knockdown resistence, so he wont be able to get dismounted, or it will be harder to dismount him.
His active Warcry allow him to buff his friends to be more tanky for the next 10 seconds.
He have an active Buff that reduce the damage taken, if he stands still. (All with a 15 Min CD)

The Blain will have less Str and less damage Bonus as the Hugar, but will have more HP then any other race. (up to 251 HP)
This race is good for a pure tanky Footfighter (unless you want to use a bow) and for Fatmages.

Fatmages are the slowest Build to be played on Foot, but they can be played as Mounted Mages.
These can carry a shield, while being on foot, with which they can push back players and repel attacks. A Fatmage will heal players for much more HP and will deal much more damage with his spells compared to the Alvarin Dex Mage.

The Hugar have less HP as the Blain, but will have much more Str. The Hugar is used for Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, for the Hybrid between Mounted Combat and a tanky Footfighter, or for the Hybrid between Moutned Archer/ tanky Footfighter.

The Ormir/Hugar will have less damage Bonus as the Thursar race when played as a Mounted fighter. That means that the Ogmir possibly won´t be able to dismount other Mounted Combat Fighters, but won´t get dismounted ether, becuase of his CLaidgift, that give him additionals knockdown resistence.

The Human

Humans are known to be smarter and more flexible than other races.
Humans have more skill and attribute points than any other race.

Humans are a little slower than the Alvarins, but a bit faster than the Ogmir and the Thursar.
After the Thrsar, they can reach the second highest damage bonus.

The Human is good for Builds that miss a few Skillpoints. Because of his additional Attributre Points, the Human can be played as a pure Psy-Footfighter, with a good ammount of magic Resist, as a Mage/Footfighter-Hybrid with more Mana and more Damage Bonus as the Alvarin Hybrid.

His Mana Regeneration is less impacted from Armor weight, which allow him to
to wear heavier armor compared to the Alvarian Hybrid

The Human have more Skillpoints then the Alvarin Hybrid, and will be able to learn an additional Magic School, or alternativly controlled riding, to be able to use better Mounts, with which he can ride much faster from Town to Town. He can be played as a Tamer/Beastmaster Mage, or a Dominator Mage with a powerful Pet.
He can for example ride a lycator, dismount, and let his pet attack his opponent.

He can be played as a Hybrid between a Footfighter and a Beastmaster, but not without some drawbacks.

The human has a warcry that frees him and his allies from all debuffs.
He have a buff that give him more Magic Resist.
He have an active Buff, that make his allys do less team damage for 10 seconds
His Mana Regeneration is less impacted from Armor weight.

The Human will not have enough Str to go for a mounted Combat Build, without having to use very rare and expencive perfect Weapon Hilts.
But if a player can afford it, then that character will have more Magic Resist than any other Mounted Combat Character,
and Mounted Combat players have a particularly large hitbox, because of their large horse and are vulnerable against Magic.

The Thursar

Thursars are known for their large Size and Strange, are the hardest hitting, but also the slowest Race.
They are all about Damage.

The Thursar and the Ogmir are the only races that can reach 121 Str.

The Thursar can be played as a Footfighter, but maybe can be played as a pure Mounted Combat or Hybrid between Mounted Combat/Footfighter aswell. but we have to wait. I have heared rumors, that SV not want to see the Thursar being played as a mounted Character. That there will be a penalty for him when being mounted. It will not make sense to play him as a mounted Archer, becuase the Damage Bonus do not apply to Bows, and because he have a much bigger Hitbox. His size and his longer arms will give him a longer reach with his weapon, but this is useless for an Archer.

The Thursar will have an active Buff, that will give him liefesteal for 10 Seconds.
One Passive will make him regenerate Health after every 10 seconds.
His active Warcry will make him and his Allies deal more damage for 10 seconds.
This can be very strong, if you build a pure Footfighter with active and passive regeneration.
He can swing his weapon with 0 Stamina
He have a high resistences against Poisons.
He can switch stances. One Stance will make him receive more physical damage, but less magical Damage. The other stance will make him
more prone to magic but less vulnerable for physical Damage.

So in short...

Use an Alvarin for magic.

Use an Alvarin for melee.

Use an Oghmir for archery.

Use an Oghmir for mounted archery.

Use an Oghmir for mounted magic.

Use a human or thursar if you want to get memed on by the others.

Bleak

Jun 15, 2022
So yeah "pure" archer is absolute and total garbage. Every alvarin with melee will close on you and slaughter you. Alvarin are fairly popular, and most are smart enough to run at least a bit of melee.

Swapping between a spear and bow as you mentioned is entirely viable though. Spears are one of the best melee weapons, particularly in team fights. They suffer from predictability (They aren't very strong for side or overhead attacks) but have good reach, can be paired with a shield, it's difficult to distinguish between their thrust and righthand swing when they are welded two-handed (without a shield), and due to their strong thrusts they are good for team fights as their controlled thrusts have less chance of friendly fire than some other weapons.

If you're interested send me a PM Kaemik#0057 on Discord and I can help you customize a build veela skirmishers build that will be the closest you can get to viable foot archer build.

That being said, I'd like to suggest something else. Every single game you mentioned is tab-targeted. (Other than possibly Shadowbane, i never got to try that one unfortunately) MO2 is a whole different animal. Just because you enjoy ranged combat in other games doesn't mean you will here. I'd experiment a bit. You might find playstyles you enjoy more. You wouldn't be the first player I've known who has a "type" in other games and runs something totally different in MO2.

True, I have played games that were not tab based and still enjoyed archers. It's more difficult and I appreciate that, tends to force you to actually learn how to play. So now I'm still determined to play this game, and I'm still determined to use a bow. But I obviously don't think bow will be my primary weapon, unfortunately. I played Darkfall, Rust, Elder Scrolls, and New World also. I can't get away from the thrill of the bow hunt. It's more difficult, but I think that's what I enjoy about it.

So, now to determine if I should adapt and make a warrior/archer or arcane archer type or something like that. I may enjoy magic, but from what I've read so far about the magic use it doesn't seem like I would though. Maybe just a dabble for some self heals or debuffs, but not much else. I'm a bit curious about the taming aspect too.. seems like you could almost make a hunter style character with archery and pets. But not sure you'd have enough left over points to give yourself a heal as well?

I know I tend to really hate slow characters as I do a lot of solo play. So if I do make a slower character, I probably would lean towards mounted archer with a tanky build for foot fighting when not mounted. That is something that I think I would enjoy, even though I'd much rather just stay mounted... lol Also, how long would it usually take someone to be able to train/tame a mount anyways? Just starting off, that seems like it would be a handicap for a while until you could get your first mount.

I assume there's no stealth in this game which would rule out an assassin style of character? A theif/assassin would be pretty fun, I think. But not sure it's possible on here either.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Arcane archer is straight bad like foot archer. It's only viable as a mounted-only build, not a great one outside some real niche applications.

Skirmisher is a top-tier role. Skirmisher is the name that I give to melee/archery Veela. It's not stealthy but it uses speed and terrain advantages in place of stealth. Essentially your role as a skirmisher is to swing out to the side of the main group you are fighting with, and then press into the enemy backline to kill mages once you spot an opening. You also have the role of confirming kills on enemies attempting to flee.

There is a bit of variety in how you can build/play it but the common parts are always going to be you have a Veela that falls at or between the age/weight for max dex or strength. It's always going to have 100 (melee weapon skill), 100 archery, 100 blocking, 100 sprinting and combat movement, and 100 anatomy. You're always going to take all your movespeed/jump clades, your weakspot clade, and your bow draw clade. If you don't have all that, it's either something other than a Veela skirmisher, or garbage.

Dazin

Jan 29, 2022
Almost all melee can use bows but they aren’t really archers unless they are a mounted archer build. The way the game mechanics are, bows are crap against steel, arrows are slow and can be dodged, and weapon swapping is stupidly slow so realistically on foot your going to get a few shots off, if lucky, then you will be pulling out your melee weapon. If you don’t have your weapon out to parry in melee range you’re dead and right now you can forget about kiting without any crowd control mechanics.

There are no rogue type builds/playstyles available and imho you would be spread to thin points wise trying to specialize into archery/controlled riding, taming/creature control, and ecumenical/mental offense etc.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
True, I have played games that were not tab based and still enjoyed archers. It's more difficult and I appreciate that, tends to force you to actually learn how to play. So now I'm still determined to play this game, and I'm still determined to use a bow. But I obviously don't think bow will be my primary weapon, unfortunately. I played Darkfall, Rust, Elder Scrolls, and New World also. I can't get away from the thrill of the bow hunt. It's more difficult, but I think that's what I enjoy about it.

So, now to determine if I should adapt and make a warrior/archer or arcane archer type or something like that. I may enjoy magic, but from what I've read so far about the magic use it doesn't seem like I would though. Maybe just a dabble for some self heals or debuffs, but not much else. I'm a bit curious about the taming aspect too.. seems like you could almost make a hunter style character with archery and pets. But not sure you'd have enough left over points to give yourself a heal as well?

I know I tend to really hate slow characters as I do a lot of solo play. So if I do make a slower character, I probably would lean towards mounted archer with a tanky build for foot fighting when not mounted. That is something that I think I would enjoy, even though I'd much rather just stay mounted... lol Also, how long would it usually take someone to be able to train/tame a mount anyways? Just starting off, that seems like it would be a handicap for a while until you could get your first mount.

I assume there's no stealth in this game which would rule out an assassin style of character? A theif/assassin would be pretty fun, I think. But not sure it's possible on here either.

tbh I'd roll a lean veela!

There is an assassin char, but do you wanna play that way? If you pick a veela and try to catch people slipping and assassinate them, there's def a way. You don't need stealth, but the one thing that sucks about MO is that it shows you pop in far beyond, even under cover. If that wasn't the case, you could do even more stealthy things. I mean, you could easily wait in a spot on foot and ambush people if you wanted to.

As long as you have a bow and can ride a horse you are set for pve and a bunch of other things. Then you just wanna spec out what you want your char to be.

All of your builds sound too point heavy. I'd roll a light fighter (I like lean, but most people would suggest stout!), veela and just pick up a wep skill etc. You can def play assassin haha. Just remember that v a fully armored fighter, you're gonna have to do something special to win. One weird thing about lower stam pools is it probably changes the difference between who can manage stam well. You're def a lot faster than non-elves. The difference is almost nothing v other elves, but it's enough (if you go lean.) One thing I regret is not doing spears and just going HAM. Maybe if I come back to MO some day that's what I'll do.

Dazin

Jan 29, 2022
tbh I'd roll a lean veela!

There is an assassin char, but do you wanna play that way? If you pick a veela and try to catch people slipping and assassinate them, there's def a way. You don't need stealth, but the one thing that sucks about MO is that it shows you pop in far beyond, even under cover. If that wasn't the case, you could do even more stealthy things. I mean, you could easily wait in a spot on foot and ambush people if you wanted to.

As long as you have a bow and can ride a horse you are set for pve and a bunch of other things. Then you just wanna spec out what you want your char to be.

All of your builds sound too point heavy. I'd roll a light fighter (I like lean, but most people would suggest stout!), veela and just pick up a wep skill etc. You can def play assassin haha. Just remember that v a fully armored fighter, you're gonna have to do something special to win. One weird thing about lower stam pools is it probably changes the difference between who can manage stam well. You're def a lot faster than non-elves. The difference is almost nothing v other elves, but it's enough (if you go lean.) One thing I regret is not doing spears and just going HAM. Maybe if I come back to MO some day that's what I'll do.

Was this really a serious post or are you trolling….an ”assassin” build in MO2? Common man lol; I‘ve also heard corn pop was a bad dude but I’m not buying that either haha.

No stealth, no dual wielding, no mechanisms that give significant short term bonuses to evasion/dodge etc., no skills that gives measurable dps boosts and lowered time to kill that are not usable by other builds, no blinds/mutes, and no damage over time skills or abilities. TLDR: no assassin build heh.

You want to lob arrows at someone from behind a tree or pop out of a bush and hack and slash them then that is being a bandit or brigand, hell you can even be Robin Hood for all I care lol. It sure isn’t being an assassin by MMO definition or even in a real world historical sense.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Was this really a serious post or are you trolling….an ”assassin” build in MO2? Common man lol; I‘ve also heard corn pop was a bad dude but I’m not buying that either haha.

No stealth, no dual wielding, no mechanisms that give significant short term bonuses to evasion/dodge etc., no skills that gives measurable dps boosts and lowered time to kill that are not usable by other builds, no blinds/mutes, and no damage over time skills or abilities. TLDR: no assassin build heh.

You want to lob arrows at someone from behind a tree or pop out of a bush and hack and slash them then that is being a bandit or brigand, hell you can even be Robin Hood for all I care lol. It sure isn’t being an assassin by MMO definition or even in a real world historical sense.

I delete all my youtube vids on occasion. You're wrong tho. You're looking at things wrong. Do you assassinate a soldier? no. You assassinate a soft target. It's like ganking people at the crusher. You are thinking of more like a char that goes in and assassinates a fighter, but yea like I said, that's not it... and what I said about waiting and ambushing people IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE. I'm not trollin'.

I don't understand what you mean by the historical sense. Obliterating someone and taking their mats is an assassination. If there were actual political figures and actual assassins in MO, they would be veela w/ pokey stuff more than likely. It would work. There's no real way to be AN ASSASSIN in a fight tho. Like you think you're gonna drop a smoke bomb, warp behind someone, and backstab them or slit their throat, yea that's not in MO. Gotta be a little more inventive.

I didn't quit MO because it was hard to do w/e; I quit cuz it was boring. I could easily re-gear and get tons of 'assassin kills' if I wanted to. Not really any point, tho! But it sounds like you and I have a different idea of what an assassin is. You want a high dps (like a dps on off switch sort of char) squishy I'm assuming. You're getting a fast squishy that can handle people once they get out of guard protection range.

Bowing is something else, but it's helpful. I'm talking about just body bagging someone who is alone. A lot of classes can do that, but not every class can do it and effectively get away.