Shards good or bad?

• Good

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Bad

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters

Bogler

Jul 6, 2020
Quick suggestion to potentially help the load on the main server. The idea is basically the same system as Haven but for the main server. You can limit the ability to swap shards only inside towns with a statue like haven so you cannot swap inside dungeons ect.

Also to limit issues in the future don't allow people to build anything on this second shard so that there is no problems with taking the server down. This could then be continued infinite amount of times to atleast get players into the main world. Then SV could determine after figuring out their consistent population if they want to open another actual server or whatnot to handle the load.

What do you think?

Reactions: Zebeid

Jasa

Jan 24, 2022
You would dilute the player base and that is not what this game is about. Haven is your one and only attempt to handle yourself in a controlled scape and make the character you want to be placed within the world. The interactions of players running into Tod who farms around here or those two horse archers that constantly attack this road, or the healer that just follows new people and gives them a few heals and runs away. Those interactions of the people you meet is lessoned by the impact they contribute to the world.

This is not a server game, this is a World and capacity will only increase with land expansions. This is the way of Mortal.

Reactions: Calcal

Bogler

Jul 6, 2020
You would dilute the player base and that is not what this game is about. Haven is your one and only attempt to handle yourself in a controlled scape and make the character you want to be placed within the world. The interactions of players running into Tod who farms around here or those two horse archers that constantly attack this road, or the healer that just follows new people and gives them a few heals and runs away. Those interactions of the people you meet is lessoned by the impact they contribute to the world.

This is not a server game, this is a World and capacity will only increase with land expansions. This is the way of Mortal.
Would the servers be actually be diluted if there is roughly 3-5k people in game and another 3ish k in queue? All that I see would happen is the 3k in queue would be able to experience those situations you mentioned. Once both servers are in a state where there's no need for another shard you just remove it and place everyone in 1.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
I've been told by Henrik the game can handle 100k peeps and he nerver mentioned shards and magical powders.

Lasrod

Jan 12, 2021
I like this idea and it feels like it would be doable without too much development time (although it is of course hard to know without inside knowledge).

Now in retrospect I there is a lot they could have done much better. For example they could have just made Haven larger with more things to do and they should not allow people to join the real world so quickly. If they had a requirement that meant that it took a week or two of playing on Haven before you had enough experience or gold or whatever it is before you could join the real world then there would have been a much smoother increase in population in the main world. They could also have had a second free stress-test to get a lot of players testing since as it is now it is clear that the main server does not handle as many players as expected.

A lot could have been done to prevent this but here we are. Now I just hope that they will manage to sort it out but I doubt that they will manage to do something magical. Maybe they can increase the amount of players on the main server by say 20-30% but that wont do much. I don't know the numbers on the main server but it feels like the majority of the players is either playing on Haven or in queue so how many players does the main server really handle at the moment? (2000? 3000? maybe 4000?). According to steamdb it is around 9000 players who have the game client running but there is no info no how many is actually playing.

Veeshan

Jan 29, 2022

26 hrs in queue so far myself with some drop outs so yeah im not the only one in the queue and would be a solution to that

2nd mainland shard however u shouldnt be able to place building or castles cause when it gets removed they go poof which would be bad. it woulsdd function like haven in regards of being muiltipul instances however when there no longer needed u can just poof it away and push everyone back on the main map.

only other way to deal with server queues is to reset the server every few hours to kick inactive players out to let people who activly want to play through queues.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
26 hrs in queue so far myself with some drop outs so yeah im not the only one in the queue and would be a solution to that

2nd mainland shard however u shouldnt be able to place building or castles cause when it gets removed they go poof which would be bad. it woulsdd function like haven in regards of being muiltipul instances however when there no longer needed u can just poof it away and push everyone back on the main map.

only other way to deal with server queues is to reset the server every few hours to kick inactive players out to let people who activly want to play through queues.

it's not worth it, man.

Reactions: Alocrin

Veeshan

Jan 29, 2022
This. The development team should be focused on getting the main server running and the bottlenecks removed.
if they reset the servers at random occasionaly (Give warning in game first though) to bump out all the players afk/afk macroing or crashed and character not logging out (Guildie char was in game standing at bank for 6 hrs after he crashed and couldnt log in sure there alot more in game that same) that free up alot of the space in game for active users. and very easily/quick to do with no additional work time, could be best temporary solution till they fix it.

Alocrin

Jan 29, 2022
The land of Eh?
if they reset the servers at random occasionaly (Give warning in game first though) to bump out all the players afk/afk macroing or crashed and character not logging out (Guildie char was in game standing at bank for 6 hrs after he crashed and couldnt log in sure there alot more in game that same) that free up alot of the space in game for active users. and very easily/quick to do with no additional work time, could be best temporary solution till they fix it.

They did do yesterday i think IIRC. I dont think it helped that much, could be wrong though. Most of the same people were still complaining.

Veeshan

Jan 29, 2022
They did do yesterday i think IIRC. I dont think it helped that much, could be wrong though. Most of the same people were still complaining.
didnt help me apparently 28hrs in queue atm with some resets due to crashing.

Didnt help me i havant been able to log in since they did the patch to "fix" it the first time

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
Yes. It's a slippery slope but since the devs intend on adding more continents it might work. But it would take them another several days to implement it and buy and install all the necessary hardware anyway, and by then the population will probably drop to what the current myrland can support anyway.

Hooves

Nov 30, 2020
Yes. It's a slippery slope but since the devs intend on adding more continents it might work. But it would take them another several days to implement it and buy and install all the necessary hardware anyway, and by then the population will probably drop to what the current myrland can support anyway.
Agreed - this may be too late for such additions. Shards would have been a great contingency plan for a scenario where players get stuck in 6 hour queues. Alas…

Veeshan

Jan 29, 2022
look tbh i would be fine if they kicked everyone back to haven so we can atleast log in :p and if we dare to leave haven again then well good luck :p

Jasa

Jan 24, 2022
Would the servers be actually be diluted if there is roughly 3-5k people in game and another 3ish k in queue? All that I see would happen is the 3k in queue would be able to experience those situations you mentioned. Once both servers are in a state where there's no need for another shard you just remove it and place everyone in 1.

Dilution of the server, if you have 1 shard of the game, that you constantly log into and there is another, you wont hear about it, or if things are swapping between both servers this could lead to guilds fracturing, forts being taken not being the ones you own, or two groups of people laying claim to the Location when servers merge. The story of how legion dominates X location or how Integrity or KOTA are in a town and call it home.

These things would be less important as you would have people experiencing different things at the same location.

Veeshan

Jan 29, 2022
Dilution of the server, if you have 1 shard of the game, that you constantly log into and there is another, you wont hear about it, or if things are swapping between both servers this could lead to guilds fracturing, forts being taken not being the ones you own, or two groups of people laying claim to the Location when servers merge. The story of how legion dominates X location or how Integrity or KOTA are in a town and call it home.

These things would be less important as you would have people experiencing different things at the same location.
thats why io said any addition shards of mainland that are tempory should have any building disabled on it so peopel cant place on them and when everyoneb can log into the main one then instanmces ones can go poof, can have a statue in all town banks that allow u to swap aswell to get into the main instances or out of it i spose too (Or a msg can pop up when saying main instance slot if available do you wanna ti enter main instance