Taming with new XP rates

Minyiky

Dec 10, 2020
Having rerolled to test out the new xp rates, one area that seems way off balance is taming, it is just so hard to level.

Now I understand that there is meant to be some process of levelling up and that is all fine and good but taming seems to be very slow, random and awkward.

If you want to level up a crafting skill, you can sit at a bench in town in keep crafting items using basic materials until you get to a high level, not the most fun experience, but it appears basically any material works the same and so you can use the easiest to find basic material to level up.

Taming is a different beast as you have to be taming the correct level of animal you can't do it all at once, you stop gaining at a certain point. It also doesn't seem to give you rewards all the time, in fact from my testing gaining xp seemed to be the exception, not the rule. I tested on Springboks, pigs, bushpigs, wolves and horses.

In my initial testing on pigs I was able to tame one straight away but then many others appeared to be bugged and I couldn't tame another one for a good hour.

I still haven't been able to tame a bush pig.

Springboks I managed to tame it about one in 10 attempts, all while giving me a grand total of 47xp. That is appalling, There is no way you can possibly progress based on that.

I have also not been able to tame a wolf despite attempting constantly for about 3 hours.

I have seen many people in help chat asking about taming as well, it seems like it is not just me so I thought I would post here.

What has been everyone else's experience with taming after the skill rate changes?

Reactions: Teknique

Fisher(Sath)

Apr 6, 2021
the taming was always defunct in this way it just didnt show so obviously until now. You have to specifically tame something within a certain skill range of your current skill otherwise its going to be either too low or too high for you to gain exp. Another thing to keep in mind is that the actual taming of the creature does not give you all the exp, the real exp is gained during the taming process. If you find a creature giving you taming exp do NOT let your tame finish until you milk that SoB for every exp point you can.

Reactions: Raknor and Teknique

Chub

Jan 10, 2022
I rerolled to test the taming leveling before launch. I tried taming pigs, then springbok, and kept switching to higher level animals when I could. The exp gains were random and tiny. I would get 5-8 exp every 1min or so attempting to tame springbok with taming level 50. It takes about 5k exp~ to gain a level which means it's going to take me roughly 12hr of actively taming to gain a level.

This is insane.

Read the book and forget about actively trying. I was told to try taming horses instead but there was no difference. Something is broken.

Minyiky

Dec 10, 2020
I rerolled to test the taming leveling before launch. I tried taming pigs, then springbok, and kept switching to higher level animals when I could. The exp gains were random and tiny. I would get 5-8 exp every 1min or so attempting to tame springbok with taming level 50. It takes about 5k exp~ to gain a level which means it's going to take me roughly 12hr of actively taming to gain a level.

This is insane.

Read the book and forget about actively trying. I was told to try taming horses instead but there was no difference. Something is broken.

Did you manage to get up to 50 without reading, if so I am impressed, After I tried to tame the same springbok 10 times and got 47 xp I assumed that was never going to happen for me

Chub

Jan 10, 2022
Did you manage to get up to 50 without reading, if so I am impressed, After I tried to tame the same springbok 10 times and got 47 xp I assumed that was never going to happen for me
No, ive gained 99% of my levels by reading

Last edited:

For Sure

Jun 25, 2021
You guys are utterly insane. The class is so overly broken, and you guys want to speed up its end game? You realize that its zero work to afk macro a tamed animal up right. BooHoo I have to work for really op things. Taming shouldn't even be in the game. It's actually really terrible for the game TBH.

Chub

Jan 10, 2022
You guys are utterly insane. The class is so overly broken, and you guys want to speed up its end game? You realize that its zero work to afk macro a tamed animal up right. BooHoo I have to work for really op things. Taming shouldn't even be in the game. It's actually really terrible for the game TBH.
You seriously think that afk macroing for ~1000s of hrs is an acceptable route to leveling and good for the game? If so then you're "utterly insane"

If tames are op at the endgame it's not going to stop the 1% from getting them and selling them for real money. Their power should be nerfed, not make the leveling process so slow that it gatekeeps anyone stepping their foot in the door. The idea that "if it's op it should be hard to get" is only valid if it takes skill to acquire not running my computer for months 24/7, otherwise whale players who multibox will just become insanely OP in a few month time.

AssassinOTL

Mar 23, 2021
This problem is a clear issue with the way they decided to make taming an unsure thing with the recent changes, the leveling system was set up for the way you tamed before changes, and they clearly didn't think of the leveling process when making the nerfs. 1 you only get xp during a successful tame, and because the number of successful tames only happen once per animal, not during the failure process, this is a flawed system that needs to be retroactively changed. Don't waste a Gamer's time just because you forgot to code it in or are too lazy to change it, but not lazy enough to make it inconvenient because of tears of players that macro their entire game to make it easy on themselves, but feel self conscious and want the rest of the game hard on everyone else.

XP gain should start from the second you press R on the tame, and should not stop until unsuccessful, tamed, or out of range of skill gain.

Last edited:

wwkiller

Mar 30, 2021
nederland
i can also add that the leveling getting stuck is still a thing..... wish i new that after i spend a ton of stuff crafing.....