Taming as Profession Skill

Tekk

Apr 5, 2021
Suggestion is simple. Change the Taming Skill so that it’s a Profession Skill and is only for mounts. All aggressive pets should be for dominating.

In one of Henrik’s stream, he and others said it would make Mounted Archer/Combat too strong or imbalanced. This is like saying that having bow crafting, as a profession skill, makes archers too strong. A full mounted fighter does not to have any taming skills while there is pet trading and pet tickets. I’m not suggesting moving all of the Domestication Skills over, just taming and maybe Beat Influence.

Taming acts just like any other crafting profession. You go out, look for a mount, bring it back to a city, then sell it or use it. I don’t see how it makes any mounted builds stronger than others. If anything, it balances profession skills out since they would have to use up other primary points for a pet tree.

I think there should be a Pet branch in profession. It would consist of Taming, Management, Pet armor, Pet bags, Beast influence (maybe a new primary for breeding).

Again, this would be good IF the system was changed so that only non-aggressive mounts could be tamed. Other aggressive creatures (that can attack) would require domination.

Reactions: Deleted member 44

EZgold

Jan 28, 2021
Yes, I agree Taming should be a Profession Skill. It makes no sense that acquiring (making) a pet to be considered a fighting ability, just like making armor or weapons is not. So the skills needed to GET the pet should be a Profession and the skills needed to USE the pet (on the battlefield) should be Action. Namely "Taming" and "Animal Care" in Profession and "Beast Influence", "Beast Mastery", "CC" and "Adv. CC" in Actions.

Reactions: Xunila and Tekk

Tekk

Apr 5, 2021
To add to this, Henrik secretly and unknowingly agreed.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
If the only way to get aggressive pets was through dominating that means players need two primaries for dominating as opposed to one primary for taming. That already is a huge imbalance. Also, who is to say players can't tame pigs or horses and use them to fight as well? That would make taming the only offensive-enabled profession.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
The reason it's like this is they didn't want everyone to just have combat pets if it wasn't a consideration for their action skills.

I agree that Taming should be a profession skill and split this out into various tiers of taming to make it a more in-depth profession tree. Breeding can be tied to this profession tree too.

Creature control should stay as an action skill because lores already counteract this if you were wanting to just be a profession tamer for e.g. horses.

Then just make it so you can only be effective with pets in combat when using Beast Mastery (200pp). or to balance it further, put it under Creature control making it (300pp to min max). Easy.

Tekk

Apr 5, 2021
If the only way to get aggressive pets was through dominating that means players need two primaries for dominating as opposed to one primary for taming. That already is a huge imbalance. Also, who is to say players can't tame pigs or horses and use them to fight as well? That would make taming the only offensive-enabled profession.

For dominating, you need Ecumenical and Dominating (both primary). So you already need 200 points. You cannot trade or sell dominates pets.

Pigs, horses, springboks cannot attack so I’m not sure what you mean.

Dominators can also buy pets from tamers.

Tekk

Apr 5, 2021
The reason it's like this is they didn't want everyone to just have combat pets if it wasn't a consideration for their action skills.

I agree that Taming should be a profession skill and split this out into various tiers of taming to make it a more in-depth profession tree. Breeding can be tied to this profession tree too.

Creature control should stay as an action skill because lores already counteract this if you were wanting to just be a profession tamer for e.g. horses.

Then just make it so you can only be effective with pets in combat when using Beast Mastery (200pp). or to balance it further, put it under Creature control making it (300pp to min max). Easy.
I agree with you. Which is why I mentioned that they should change which creatures can be tamed. Those used as mounts should be dominated. Or at the very least, as you mentioned, require beast mastery to attack.

There is definitely a lot of potential for tamers to be used as a profession. Breeding would be a great addition to this. Or even adding some cosmetic stuff to horses. Like styling their hair and stuff or making unique armor.

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
this seems to be mostly about horses and not mounts since they already mentioned that bears will be mounts in the future (maybe even direwolves) and they are not "passive". So if this is just about horses I think what the OP intends could be achieved by just requiring less SPs than currently (50) in taming to get a horse instead of redrawing everything. Even then I am unsure on how I feel about this.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I would really like my 50 points in taming back for other things. It really is only a time saving investment for quality of life.
CC should stay a action skill along with vet. Taming and animal care should be professions. You can buy pets anyway so all taming and animal care do is speed up getting those pets.

Tekk

Apr 5, 2021
Just to be clear. I don’t want the entire branch moved over. Just taming and even animal care.

Creature control and all the other skills would stay under action. Having taming in your action build does. Not having Taking in your build does not make you stronger. You can just buy the mount. But if you have a tamer profession, you might have to give up other professions like weapon crafting or armor crafting. That is the balance.

Tekk

Apr 5, 2021
Pets without beast mastery should not be able to attack . That should remain as an action point.

Tekk

Apr 5, 2021
here is a different viewpoint. Before pet trading was made available, you knew at some point a Mounted player had the taming skill. Now with pet trading, a mounted player never has to level up taming. They just need CC and riding.

A mount is a tool. A pet with bags are tools. Pets that attack is an action build.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Pets without beast mastery should not be able to attack . That should remain as an action point.
Well, it should be more like how it is in Mo1. Without any beast mastery skill, even a great pet at high level will have crap attacks.

Someone without any beast influence though... The pet shouldn't be able to attack unless its right there with you.