Suggestions for skill progression in MO2

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
That would actually be shit way in the system I proposed.

Also most people I knew knew you could click a bottom so you wouldn´t have to delete what you crafted. So ... thinking might not be your friends strong suit.
I haven't played a billion games, so my experience is somewhat limited, but has there been a game that handled training of crafting skills in a good way that didn't involve making weapons and armor you'd never use because they're crappy until you've maxed them out?

I can't think of a way around spamming wood weapons and the like which would be a meaningful change. Making it skill up faster by changing the gains on better materials like you mentioned is a nudge, but just kind of shifts the focus to finding the cheapest material which gives best gains, and you would still have to spam it to some degree. But at least it's a nudge

What do you guys think about them expanding on what they've mentioned on how skill effects outcome from 70-100 skill where you're getting in the case of armor the max mitigation and proper wgt for the armor at 70 skill, and from 70-100 you get improved durability. Maybe they adjust that curve even more so those lower skill made items are better than they have been in the past and are still decent to use, but don't last long; could be sold at a discount since they're still functional at least. You can also use that stuff yourself while you're more organically raising your skill over time since you're crafter also fights and hunts etc. That's not that exciting, but maybe it'd be another adjustment they can make.

I also just realized that if they keep the same system with skill books generally reading to 70 skill. Even if they didn't adjust the quality of lower crafted skills to be more rewarding, the changes they've already mentioned make it so by the time you're done reading the book you're able to make proper weapons and armor for general use without having to spam anything at all unless you wanted to mastercraft stuff, which I think will be something only serious crafters and traders are going to do.

I've already decided I won't be going to 100 on the tradeskills I plan to use so that I can fit more trades on my character, and since I'll be able to supply my crafter with hunting on the same character, the fact that the weapons or armor won't last as long won't mean much to me.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
other games have crafting skill gains depend on the difficulty of the item you make, until it gives no xp once it becomes trivial.
MO has this for spell school gains and the taming/domination system, i think the glassblowing was this way as well.

perhaps something similar could be done for the other crafting systems, at some point crappy mats wont give you any gains and you'll have to use better ones. if they make the change tho it should come with an increase in skill gains since you'll be wasting a lot more better mats to skill up.

-barcode

Bathor

Sep 16, 2020
That would actually be shit way in the system I proposed.

Also most people I knew knew you could click a bottom so you wouldn´t have to delete what you crafted. So ... thinking might not be your friends strong suit.

Right, I forgot they added that 6 years after release mb - remove the "deleting" step, still not fun

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I haven't played a billion games, so my experience is somewhat limited, but has there been a game that handled training of crafting skills in a good way that didn't involve making weapons and armor you'd never use because they're crappy until you've maxed them out?

I can't think of a way around spamming wood weapons and the like which would be a meaningful change. Making it skill up faster by changing the gains on better materials like you mentioned is a nudge, but just kind of shifts the focus to finding the cheapest material which gives best gains, and you would still have to spam it to some degree. But at least it's a nudge

What do you guys think about them expanding on what they've mentioned on how skill effects outcome from 70-100 skill where you're getting in the case of armor the max mitigation and proper wgt for the armor at 70 skill, and from 70-100 you get improved durability. Maybe they adjust that curve even more so those lower skill made items are better than they have been in the past and are still decent to use, but don't last long; could be sold at a discount since they're still functional at least. You can also use that stuff yourself while you're more organically raising your skill over time since you're crafter also fights and hunts etc. That's not that exciting, but maybe it'd be another adjustment they can make.

I also just realized that if they keep the same system with skill books generally reading to 70 skill. Even if they didn't adjust the quality of lower crafted skills to be more rewarding, the changes they've already mentioned make it so by the time you're done reading the book you're able to make proper weapons and armor for general use without having to spam anything at all unless you wanted to mastercraft stuff, which I think will be something only serious crafters and traders are going to do.

I've already decided I won't be going to 100 on the tradeskills I plan to use so that I can fit more trades on my character, and since I'll be able to supply my crafter with hunting on the same character, the fact that the weapons or armor won't last as long won't mean much to me.

I don´t know of any game that does this and has item quality. It´s obviously easier if any item has set qualities.

So games have small non statistical items like nails, bullets, arrowheads etc. that give you experience and you receive the normal quality. Usually you would sell your leftovers to other players or recycle them (usually gaining more exp that way). This could be translated to MO2 if SV wants to. You would have to create a few extra lanes of crafting for that though. (Ideas would be craftable building packs that need nails etc., craftable arrows)

The other question is the effectiveness of an items.

If at 5-10 you create an 1% effective items no one will use it - ever. This is good however since you don´t want anyone who just "activated" a skill to participate in the economy. From here it gets complicated, since you have to determine when it is alright if the items become useable compared to skill 70. Say we start off at 30% effectiveness. A cuprum mace at that level would actually be good enough to kill walkers for example. So that would be alright. You might have to sell it dirt cheap, but then you are only an apprentice at that point.

If we take skill gains from MO1 I´d say if someone start at 11 (1 SP + 10 intelligence) and crafts a wooden maul that shoud give roughly 0,5 skillpoints. If the same person crafts a jadeite starmace that could give 3 SP for example.

So there is a lot to consider and I don´t envy the guy at SV who has to do this cause kids are gonna be upset. In my experience you can not cure people who are deeply into min/max. I think it´s a special from of OCD that makes them unhappy unless a skill is "finished" - even if it is less effective. IMO you should build systems around that mentality however since it leads to very boring gameplay.

I haven´t gone into skillbooks since I assume they will work differently somehow. They were pretty essential in MO1 which wasn´t super good IMO. I prefer active gameplay to sitting around waiting for timers.