Suggestions for skill progression in MO2

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I was revisiting the new player experience in Haven today to kind of compare where we started from 10 years ago and where we ended up now with how player progression will likely be in MO2 and I wanted to mention a few easy things SV could change/adjust to make building and progressing a character a better experience for the masses.

First I think this aspect has changed for the better in a ton of ways. I remember waiting on books to read, or waiting for certain point breaks so I could open up a new skill with a book just to quit and start another book while I grinded up the new skill manually somehow.

This has changed for the better with SV making a lot more skills unlock automatically when your skill is high enough to do so, and I suggest making all physical skills which make logical sense to open up this way. Some skills that were overlooked were all swimming subskills and the riding subskills. There may be more, but overtime SV managed to change most of these. Is there other skills you think should be changed to auto learn that aren't currently?

Secondly, and I think this is a big one, it would be a lot better to change all the skills that were always macro'd up instead of leveled organically so that they level at a more reasonable pace and aren't gated such that you're basically worthless until you either max them out or nearly do. I'm not sure if the best method is to just adjust gains, or adjust the effect at low skills, but something should be done so you don't feel like you need to macro something instead of just playing the game properly and progressing your character while doing so.

I ran into this one hardcore today making a new character and wanting to raise defensive stance. With the changes made over the years things like weapon skills, aggressive stance, damage assessment can now be raised...however monotonously, via a training dummy, but you still end up just wanting to macro it because it's so boring and the gains are so slow. But I understand the counter argument that having it slow makes it feel like an accomplishment to max it...but it really doesn't work out that way in practice for the majority of people because the ticks are so slow once you get into the 80s and upward, and when you finish it's just another box you've ticked to be viable and more of a chore you had to do instead of having fun in the game.

But back to defensive stance..there's no real viable way of raising this skill at a decent enough pace that anyone would max it in a reasonable time without macroing either with 2 clients or with a friend. I was watching the ticks while I was being punched over and over and for a single skill gain it was like 400 attacks or something crazy at around 85 skill and upwards...my wife kept distracting me when I was trying to count them...but regardless it took forever for a skill that every fighter will take yet only changes a hit you take that might have been 100 down to 92 not considering other mitigation. It doesn't feel right.

We could also talk about movement related skills and others like mental offense and mental focus (I hate spurt macro) which just start you out so disabled feeling that just don't feel right and could use a little love and consideration for MO2.

I realize it's all a balancing act and if you make it too easy or fast the feeling of making progress on your character loses some meaning, but in the end we mostly play for what comes after skilling your character and the lead up to just feeling viable in the world feels like it could use a tune-up because it's always just been a list of chores to do before you can actually play the game.

What do you think? What improvements should be made to some of the skills and player progressions, or do you think just copying over the old system is good enough?

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
As I said many times in MO1 and have with MO2, skill gains should depend on the damage you do.

Doing 15 damage with lightning should give you 15x more exp than doing 1 with spurt.

For build balance reasons I think they probably need to keep the effectiveness levels. Otherwise you will see too many hybrid if there is not enough reason to max out any of the skills.

Reactions: Xunila and Rhias

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
it shouldnt be possible to macro up skills. even the fact that people feel the need to macro to level them up is a failure of game design.

things like breathing technique that were changed to secondaries with no primary above them shouldnt even exist since yes *everyone* maxes it sooner or later and does nothing but punish new players.

im not sure the best way to make things non-macroable and keep 'learn by doing' possible. perhaps there could be limits to how much you can learn in a certain time frame, so maybe you can only raise defensive stance by x points a day, but it would be easier to raise and not drive people to macroing to do so. would only make sense to have something like this on skills that were heavily macro'd back in the day, not for common skills.

certainly theres got to be a better way to accomplish this (learn by doing and still make it so macroing is unnecessary)

also the glory of defensive stance is not the -5% damage taken but rather the -3 static damage reduction, since it is applied *after* armor reduction. it means less vs heavy hitting weapons but is incredible vs faster hitting light damage attacks.

-barcode

Reactions: Zbuciorn

Bathor

Sep 16, 2020
Any complex input sequence can be created as a macro - so it is quite hard to make skills non-macroable. I agree with barcode that feeling the need to macro something is bad design.
Not sure what the adjustment of the gain will do - even gaining the slightest edge in a highly competitive game will make people use macros if necessary.
I also agree that really playing MO is mostly connected to what you do after skilling up.

IMO the current system is only there to annoy people into macroing and delay their gameplay by 48-72 hours. So I'd rather see the skills removed than having a system like this.

Maybe tie skill to tutors (as before) but make them unique in certain spots of the world or tied to books that are hard to obtain. Once you got the skill you can use 10 to 15 skills at a time to create your build. You can respec in a city at a special NPC or when dead (maybe for a gold fee, idk)
The bonus of a skill should be slighter than they currently are since its only ON or OFF.
Could still be satisfying to travel to the north to learn Axe-Mastery from a Kallard to include 5% damage bonus with axes to your build. Your grown-ass thursar-khurite will still be able to handle an axe without it and won't be utterly usless (which makes sense)

Suggestion is not perfect but might be more fun than macroing.

Agead_Drem

Sep 13, 2020
This thread reminded of when I had had a friend come back to MO1, he was excited, got himself setup to skill up his mage. He was ready to get business done. I log off, and come back on the following day, he's gone. I reached out to him to see what happened. His response was this.
I started spurting myself in the head, and after the first hour, remembered why I had quit. I have to spurt myself to be able to get my skills to a level that I can actually do other things in the game, and sitting there watching my character splash himself for a day or two is not what I play a game to do.

100% agree with him. There has to be a better way to develop a character that does not come down to grinding out a skill over the course of days, either by hand or macro.

An option that comes to mind would be having phased trainers, just as stated before, such as tutors. The basic skills located in areas that would make sense for that type of skill within the town that the player starts in. In Tindrem, it would been the mage tower location, each platform could have been a level of that mage skill, to give an effort and engagement to the skill growth. Combat skills could have been through the various guards within the city, etc. I'm sure there are more creative ways to implement something similar, but something needs to be in place to replace the want or need to macro skill a character.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
I started spurting myself in the head, and after the first hour, remembered why I had quit. I have to spurt myself to be able to get my skills to a level that I can actually do other things in the game, and sitting there watching my character splash himself for a day or two is not what I play a game to do.

Reminds me very much of why I quit, which was macroing for statloss. Both need to be fixed. Hopefully they just get rid of statloss altogether.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
it shouldnt be possible to macro up skills. even the fact that people feel the need to macro to level them up is a failure of game design.

things like breathing technique that were changed to secondaries with no primary above them shouldnt even exist since yes *everyone* maxes it sooner or later and does nothing but punish new players.

im not sure the best way to make things non-macroable and keep 'learn by doing' possible. perhaps there could be limits to how much you can learn in a certain time frame, so maybe you can only raise defensive stance by x points a day, but it would be easier to raise and not drive people to macroing to do so. would only make sense to have something like this on skills that were heavily macro'd back in the day, not for common skills.

certainly theres got to be a better way to accomplish this (learn by doing and still make it so macroing is unnecessary)

also the glory of defensive stance is not the -5% damage taken but rather the -3 static damage reduction, since it is applied *after* armor reduction. it means less vs heavy hitting weapons but is incredible vs faster hitting light damage attacks.

-barcode
I think most people are of a similar opinion that the old system was janky and annoying, One thing I do disagree with, and maybe you're not actually saying this exactly, but I think whatever system they have, it should promote organic raising of skills but not be "non-macroable".

I don't want to see them incorporate any kind of systems which break macroing for like the basic running around or dummy smacking junk. Combatting macroing that is used for resource farming like the ye' old fishing macros and the like needed to be broken absolutely, but trying to break or make other skills "un-macroable" just screws over people who aren't great at scripts.

I played this other game in beta that was one of these "spiritual successors to Ultima Online" which just yoinked a lot of systems from UO like MO did, like almost exactly it was nuts, but they had some kind of system which would stop skillups if you were like running around in the same little area with a macro, but that was just frustrating more than anything because their system was old and garbage, it encouraged you to macro because it forced this gating of your progression on you, and then when you tried to ease that pain, they stopped you.

The problem is the developers hubris, if they don't want a game full of macroing players they need to iterate on the old systems. If they don't, or do a poor job they need to see that they designed their progression poorly by seeing the players macroing instead of playing the game properly, it's the symptom of the greater issue.

One step they could take would be to make doing PvE raise your skills significantly faster than via a macro (but not nerf or try to eliminate macroing with some coding), this way players are out in the world doing something, theoretically making meaningful profit and skill progression. If the player benefits more from doing it this way, then that's what they will do. This creates a dial they can turn up until they start to see players macroing less and less. There's surely some flaws to this system too, I think DF might have implemented something like this, memories fuzzy tho, but maybe something along these lines would be an upgrade. Thoughts?

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
Yes, that is what I´ve been saying all along. If experience gain is determined by the "quality" of your actions rather than quantity macros will be possible but shit.

Limiting the use of macros needs be done by game design. Fishing macros wouldn´t have been a big problem if the game wasn´t dead at the time. Now of course you might ran into other problems. Macros on haven for example.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
ideally, yes it would be impossible to macro your skills, and at the same time fun and exciting to go level them 'organically' as you say. im pretty sure no amount of work on the design can square that circle, however, so yes it would be impossible to allow for 'organic' skill gains while weeding out macroing without also punishing the average player.

perhaps all the combat skills should only level from PVE so they cant be macro'd so easily? i dont have a good answer here unfortunately...

Now of course you might ran into other problems. Macros on haven for example.
i fear others dont see this issue in the same light as you and I. The trickle of haven materials into myrland may be small at the start but as competition rises in myrland, that trickle will turn to a flood of uncontested gains

-barcode

Reactions: Kelzyr

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
Skill developing over time should only work as a prevention of changing professions to fast.
All the other ones should be just picked at the character creation.
The game really starts after those 3-4 days of skilling up which is not fun.

Last edited:

Bathor

Sep 16, 2020
Skill developing over time should only work as a prevention of changing professions to fast.
All the other ones should be just picked at the character creation.
The game really stars after those 3-4 days of skilling up which is not fun.

I agree, but you could limit profession changing in other ways - for example give a cooldown of 7 days on a skill-point reset and make it cost gold.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
I agree, but you could limit profession changing in other ways - for example give a cooldown of 7 days on a skill-point reset and make it cost gold.

I'm not sure I like the idea of a time gate as well as a gold investment to swap your profession.

If a system is in place such as @Eldrath stated where quality is an important factor in leveling skills you would be forced to produce products using higher quality materials. For example, say you've spent the first week of the game leveling your weapon smith to 50, using bone, cuprum, pig iron, maybe some steel, and decided to swap to armor smith, luckily you don't have to find new lores, but now you have to eat the loss of all those materials because you can't just craft spongewood weapons to get your weapon crafting up to 50, and you can't just craft full grain leather hats to level your armor crafting.

If you're a rich boy who's farmed up all the materials in the world and wants to swap from one crafting to another I don't really see much issue with it as long as the rich boy has to eat the material cost to swap.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
@Eldrath @barcode Do you think setting an in game time limit on how long you can exist in haven would be a good idea to keep that from happening?

Here you can see carebears throwing a hissy fit when you try to take away their safezones. Also on display are painfully naive players. It was quite entertaining.

• Haha

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020

Here you can see carebears throwing a hissy fit when you try to take away their safezones. Also on display are painfully naive players. It was quite entertaining.

OOF 33% said to put no restrictions on it....If i'm not mistaken MO is supposed to be a hardcore unforgiving game... :X
EDIT: this isn't entirely fair, there only being 33% does mean that the majority think its dumb to let people farm unrestricted (and its a small poll size) but still silly.

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020

When I joined beta in MO I was spawn in Krenesh and got hit by someone with axe after 30sec and that was exactly what I expected:)
I don't think it should be as hardcore in MO2 but I do not think the Haven should be anything else than tutorial area.

Reactions: Eldrath and Kelzyr

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
@Eldrath @barcode Do you think setting an in game time limit on how long you can exist in haven would be a good idea to keep that from happening?
i personally dont mind people playing on haven exclusively if they so choose. stay as long as you like, but it should be made clear you dont keep all the items you acquire during your time there. What the limits should be for what you bring over to myrland is highly contested as you can see from the other thread.

-barcode

Bathor

Sep 16, 2020
I'm not sure I like the idea of a time gate as well as a gold investment to swap your profession.

If a system is in place such as @Eldrath stated where quality is an important factor in leveling skills you would be forced to produce products using higher quality materials. For example, say you've spent the first week of the game leveling your weapon smith to 50, using bone, cuprum, pig iron, maybe some steel, and decided to swap to armor smith, luckily you don't have to find new lores, but now you have to eat the loss of all those materials because you can't just craft spongewood weapons to get your weapon crafting up to 50, and you can't just craft full grain leather hats to level your armor crafting.

If you're a rich boy who's farmed up all the materials in the world and wants to swap from one crafting to another I don't really see much issue with it as long as the rich boy has to eat the material cost to swap.

but is it fun to spam spongewood stuff and delete / spam / delete / spam / delete?
I wrote a macro for that to be honest, must people used one.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
but is it fun to spam spongewood stuff and delete / spam / delete / spam / delete?
I wrote a macro for that to be honest, must people used one.

That would actually be shit way in the system I proposed.

Also most people I knew knew you could click a bottom so you wouldn´t have to delete what you crafted. So ... thinking might not be your friends strong suit.