Suggestion - Replace the low stamina visual effect

Valoran

May 28, 2020
Currently, when you drop below 25% stamina you will start to see a film grain effect all over the screen which will increase in intensity until you hit 0% at which point the screen will be completely covered in a thick grain that causes the screen to flash.

I personally find this effect to be extremely ugly.

I would much prefer another effect be used to indicate low stamina.

If you feel the same, let's brainstorm a few in this thread shall we?

All of these suggestions would obviously start off very mild, and increase in intensity as you approach 0% stamina.

1. A dark vignette on the screen
2. A vignette combined with "blueing" the screen
3. A slight distortion effect

Personally I'm a fan of the vignette combined with a slight "blueing".

Just in case:

I brought this criticism up with Henrik early on, and he said that this was what he and Seb saw when he became exhausted while exercising.

Some research will tell you that visual artifacts such as this are not normal among healthy individuals and are indicative of underlying health problems or conditions, usually low blood pressure or blood sugar inhibiting your bodies ability to adequately supply blood to your eyes.

Healthy individuals do not experience visual artifacts while exercising, no matter the intensity.

So the "realism" argument for this effect is out the window.

What are your thoughts?

Do you agree that the effect is ugly?

Do you have any suggestions on how to visually indicate low stamina?

Do you think we even need to when we have loud audio cues already?

Discuss.

Chalice

May 28, 2020
I haven't been a fan at all of the film grain effect, so much so I initially thought it was a visual bug until told otherwise.

I like the idea of having a dark vignette on the corners of the screen, something noticeable but not obstructing either.

Personally, the audio cues are enough but I wouldn't mind vignettes.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
The current effect gets the point across but I don't care if they do it differently. They should keep both a visual and audio cue however because there are a number of hearing impaired folks who play the game who can't rely on an audio only cue.

Reactions: Zequron and Eldrath

Chalice

May 28, 2020
I have to wonder, why not add a toggle for visual cues?

I do feel as if most people are content with only the audio. I see no reason to not allow people to freely turn off and on visual clutter. If someone requires it because they're hearing impaired or just want the additional help, they could turn on the toggle. And if they don't care for the visual cues, turn off the toggle?

I suppose the possible advantage of toggling it off would be just having a clearer screen, but the downside is also risking not noticing your stamina dwindling. And vice versa for those that toggle it on.

Valoran

May 28, 2020
The current effect gets the point across but I don't care if they do it differently. They should keep both a visual and audio cue however because there are a number of hearing impaired folks who play the game who can't rely on an audio only cue.
I agree that we need both visual and audio cues, however it's worth remembering that we already have the stamina bar as a visual indicator of stamina.

I just through that in there to possibly spark some discussion.

However I don't agree that the current effect gets the point across, especially during combat as I can't recall ever actually noticing it during a duel or group fight, I just monitor my stamina bar (or stop sprinting suddenly) and that's what really lets me know.

I only ever notice this effect when travelling and sprinting a lot.

Chalice

May 28, 2020
After thinking about it some more, maybe toggling wouldn't be the best idea. Ideally, people would choose toggles that suit their preference best, but the reality is that almost everyone would turn the toggle off to gain a clearer screen, even if they personally wanted a visual cue.

Toggles really have a hard time existing in such a massive multiplayer competitive experience.

Something that could be done as well, besides a vignette, could be a radial corner semi transparent blur. In my opinion, it would be less noticeable than a dark vignette, less in your face and overall a more immersive experience when you do stam out. It could possibly look cleaner.

Reactions: Valoran

bubbles

Jul 1, 2020
Lol I just noticed it and yeah it looks awful.. Also idk if it's a thing already but we should definitely be able to hear when someone you're fighting is out of stam and starts panting

Reactions: Valoran

PatWins

May 28, 2020
Currently, when you drop below 25% stamina you will start to see a film grain effect all over the screen which will increase in intensity until you hit 0% at which point the screen will be completely covered in a thick grain that causes the screen to flash.

I personally find this effect to be extremely ugly.

I would much prefer another effect be used to indicate low stamina.

If you feel the same, let's brainstorm a few in this thread shall we?

All of these suggestions would obviously start off very mild, and increase in intensity as you approach 0% stamina.

1. A dark vignette on the screen
2. A vignette combined with "blueing" the screen
3. A slight distortion effect

Personally I'm a fan of the vignette combined with a slight "blueing".

Just in case:

I brought this criticism up with Henrik early on, and he said that this was what he and Seb saw when he became exhausted while exercising.

Some research will tell you that visual artifacts such as this are not normal among healthy individuals and are indicative of underlying health problems or conditions, usually low blood pressure or blood sugar inhibiting your bodies ability to adequately supply blood to your eyes.

Healthy individuals do not experience visual artifacts while exercising, no matter the intensity.

So the "realism" argument for this effect is out the window.

What are your thoughts?

Do you agree that the effect is ugly?

Do you have any suggestions on how to visually indicate low stamina?

Do you think we even need to when we have loud audio cues already?

Discuss.
Damn, I'm 500 hours in and somehow never noticed this. Lol.

I think the audio ques are more than enough on our end. What I really want to see is visual or audio indicators that display when your opponent is out of stam. It would look and feel good. Would also make bad stam management more punishing as you would become a target instantly if you stam out in the enemy's backline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waalan and Valoran