Steam Charts tracking.

Dramonis

Mar 4, 2022
My idea is to keep track of game pop taking data from steam charts and put in forums.

2022-03-21

MonthAvg. PlayersGain% GainPeak Players
Last 30 Days2,867.8-1,964.2-40.65%6,329
February 20224,832.1+2,897.6+149.79%8,867
January 20221,934.5+1,314.0+211.78%9,618
December 2021620.4+182.1+41.54%1,084
November 2021438.4--892

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Well the drop was expected. I said back during launch I expected 40% of these launch players to be gone in 30 days. I was pretty much on the spot.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Well the drop was expected. I said back during launch I expected 40% of these launch players to be gone in 30 days. I was pretty much on the spot.

I mean losing half your initial player base is too unexpected for games. Usually games on a death spiral are the ones the lose half their playeebase every month

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
I mean losing half your initial player base is too unexpected for games. Usually games on a death spiral are the ones the lose half their playeebase every month

Not entirely true.

Let me take some of the more recent releases.

New World launched 913k players in Sept It dropped to 357k in Oct.

Lost Ark launched at 1.35mil in Feb, its down to 630k 30 days later.

Dying Light 2 launched at 274k players, it is down to 23k 30 days later.

Those are just the last 3 games I can think of that have been the next "big" thing and have been over 30 days.

Valheim, launched with 405k, and dropped to 159k after 30days.

Counter Strike: Global Offensive, launched with 1.3mil and dropped to 1.2mil after 30days, and after 90 days was down to 857k.

Last I checked everyone of those games I just listed were considered "successful" to some degree or another.

Reactions: Ichorous

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Not entirely true.

Let me take some of the more recent releases.

New World launched 913k players in Sept It dropped to 357k in Oct.

Lost Ark launched at 1.35mil in Feb, its down to 630k 30 days later.

Dying Light 2 launched at 274k players, it is down to 23k 30 days later.

Those are just the last 3 games I can think of that have been the next "big" thing and have been over 30 days.

Valheim, launched with 405k, and dropped to 159k after 30days.

Counter Strike: Global Offensive, launched with 1.3mil and dropped to 1.2mil after 30days, and after 90 days was down to 857k.

Last I checked everyone of those games I just listed were considered "successful" to some degree or another.

Actually a typo meant to say "isn't too unexpected"

Reactions: DeusVult and Hodo

Yeonan

Nov 28, 2020
Actually a typo meant to say "isn't too unexpected"

Yeah kinda makes all the work they did on the queue "issue" a bit pointless.

Not to say they should've ignored it but at the same time... I dont shovel my driveway if it's going to 50 degrees the next day.

Reactions: Turd

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Yeah kinda makes all the work they did on the queue "issue" a bit pointless.

Not to say they should've ignored it but at the same time... I dont shovel my driveway if it's going to 50 degrees the next day.
There are going to be big spikes around major patches. You don't want to ignore massive glaring server capacity issues(including "logistics"/queue systems). so that they can come back and bite you later preventing you from getting any sort of growth.

Getting everything to work with a bigger player number even if the natural number that the game itself will retain is lower than the server cap its perfectly valid to aim for stability>gameplay. If you can't play, the game can have all the awesome gameplay and content in the world, you still can't play it. This goes double for having to sit hours in queue to do it to, if you can't play when you want to, its almost if not as bad as not being able to play at all.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Someone quoted to me the numbers for Albion Online sometime ago in another thread which I had no intention of replying to as it was going nowhere.

I had a look at the numbers and it showed a pattern that corresponded to what many of the older popular games had, sporadic peaks and dips from time to time.

I think it's too early to say what the numbers for MO2 will look like in the long-term. Give it a year and see what the trend looks like.

Considering that SV has yet to add many of the long-awaited features and fixes, I'd say we are still in the early days of the long haul ahead.

Last edited:

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
I'd say, if more long term gameplay content makes an appearance(TC, more fun PVE content, continents, maybe even "smaller" islands ala urmothar) the game could easily sit comfortably at around 5k people, if im going to be slightly "pessimistic" about it. But its really 100% in SV's court to make their own damn decisions and deliver some features, once the main server is running full capacity(little to no queues) with no alt servers.

Turbizzler

May 28, 2020
Fabernum
Launch was rough, so not surprised at the drop, considering issues and server stability is still being fixed. This put a halt on content and system releases, which reaching what is "End game" currently in MO2, doesn't take too long to achieve.

Once you reach that stage, it's just PvP, or if you're not really PvP focused, it's just sitting in towns.

Then there's the aspect of a lot of players thinking they like the idea of Full loot sandboxes, then not liking it, which is relatively high. A lot of people MMO jump and expect each MMO to be a clone of others they've Played, then leave when they aren't and just go to the next MMO.

Players who are trying to reach end game, go to dungeons to farm bosses for materials or item drops, then get doinked by speed hackers. They get sick of it and leave.

TLDR; Launch was shit, not enough content, cheaters and MMO jumpers are why numbers are dropping.

Reactions: Albanjo Dravae

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
A drop is expected with most games, the issue with MO2 is I see no reason for the pop to stop going down and down. Theres infinite issues, with no real reason to really do anything besides that you can. Someone can try to get more and more stuff, but no stuff truly makes that big a difference when group numbers > all. And then the bad game balance and extreme lack of content and finished features just speeds up the bleeding.

Then there's the aspect of a lot of players thinking they like the idea of Full loot sandboxes, then not liking it, which is relatively high. A lot of people MMO jump and expect each MMO to be a clone of others they've Played, then leave when they aren't and just go to the next MMO.
The other thing that happens with this is they think open pvp sounds cool, killing the guy who tries to take their spot, etc, but in reality its mostly just zerg or get zerged. Which most people who think they want open pvp wont want.

Dramonis

Mar 4, 2022
Looking at the numbers is clear that the biggest wave went wrong with login issues, then lunch of AAA games also help drop more but now in the near end of the month we can notice that the patches didn't help increase the game pop after fixing the login problem and content patch, I hope to see an increase of pop but ... I have not much faith on it.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
once the main server is running full capacity(little to no queues) with no alt servers.

I'm doubting this is going to happen any time soon. They might wanna just settle into 2 servers tbh. They need to separate them though.

Alts are aids for exploit gameplay. They should have really made it so you can only log to/from an alt-main w/ a 10 sec log out timer. People camping instances ready to log into main if shit gets real, people logging into spots that have TC, it's just bad mojo. People gonna do foul stuff.

If they'd stop derping the 1 server thing which like I said doesn't seem like it's ever gonna work. YEAH THE GAME WOULD BE FINE w/ 5k PEOPLE ON 1 SERVER, but... Make the game not lag, fix desync between the two servers they have. I was fuckin' around in jungle and even unlocked frames cuz I kept going to 53 from 60 (I lock frames at 120 anyway cuz MO is a gpu burner haha), anyway even at 120-90 (1080 med/low settings) it would still chop the same as from 60-53. That's trash.

The alts themselves are bad for the game, but especially now that there's only 1 alt which means infinite log ins from one to the other (and main is down right now afaik?? or you can't log in, or I wouldn't be posting on these forums haha.) That's the problem. Like I said before, I don't look forward to training up a new char, but if they made 2 distinct servers each w/ their own world, TC, broker, and char, it would be for the best considering all other possibilities. TO ME. But I also wonder about their ability to get two distinct servers running well. The game is doing well to hold on to the people it has given how bad the mechanical state is... and that's real shit. That's not even going into bad game mechanics, getting zerged, etc, just talking about issues related exchanging information with the server.

Edit: basically each time they try to do the 1 server thing and fuck it up, I think it makes more people leave the game. lool. Cuz a lot of us love to believe in magic, but harsh reality is creepin'.

Last edited:

Dramonis

Mar 4, 2022
why not alt be server totally independt of main server allowin you create a new character in each so ppl could try different playstyles and avoid exploit? This would lower the server load

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
why not alt be server totally independt of main server allowin you create a new character in each so ppl could try different playstyles and avoid exploit? This would lower the server load

Alt servers are temporary. So any characters that are tied directly to them would have to be temporary as well.

Also I believe the alt servers could be the framework for future continents. If so then it will not be possible to be a different character there since it is the same world that will be accessible by everyone.

Camarro DaMortas

Jan 1, 2022
Norfolk, UK
Putting on my well-worn cynical hat, I don't think SV have fixed any capacity issues at all. What's happening as far as I can see is what a lot of us predicted right from the start. The population is declining until it reaches the level that Myrland can support - 2,000 to 3,000 concurrent.

Reactions: Jatix

Dramonis

Mar 4, 2022
MonthAvg. PlayersGain% GainPeak Players
Last 30 Days2,310.9-2,521.2-52.18%4,595
February 20224,832.1+2,897.6+149.79%8,867
January 20221,934.5+1,314.0+211.78%9,618
December 2021620.4+182.1+41.54%1,084
November 2021438.4--892

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
the main server cant handle more than 3 or 4k people, so there is no point in having any more than that.
alt servers are a band aid fix that doest solve the main issue. Yea you get to play and make some gold, but you arent playing the real MO. Its like the side party….sure you get to pretend that you are having some fun, but you always end up feeling left out of the real fun.

so yea 3 to 4k is max for this game. Ideally we want a bit less so no lag. We are right on schedule for that.

Reactions: Camarro DaMortas