Spiritsm: Little Request

Jasa

Jan 24, 2022
Please, for the love of all that is mejic. Please make it so we get some clade from farming spirits. It can be as low as 1-2 clade, it could be 1 clade per orb or just a flat clade amount. I implore you to allow ether mages to farm clade in some way some how.

Healing clade is good, but it does not cut it on average. Farming as a Mage is still rough, unless you want to become a tamer/ritualist or dominator. Spirtism was nerfed so give it a small buff in this way.

Please & Thank you.

Deathstrik3

Apr 18, 2021
"Spirit Farming" needs to be more engaging in general, and there needs to be more things to do. Considering what is required to get it, it should be significantly more in-depth. Some areas, like graveyards and the necro dungeon, should be naturally teeming with spirits, no need to cast seance. Areas that are "rich in spirits" should also have a chance of some type of spirit boss showing up, something that poses a serious threat to a lone spiritist, possibly even a small group. There are a lot of ideas for spiritism that I have, and I hope something similar to them is eventually implemented. As spiritism is right now, it is honestly the most underwhelming and boring thing in the game, but it's necessary and a good way to make money. If it weren't as good for making money, and if spirits weren't needed for necromancy spells, and if mental projectile wasn't as good as it is (or if we had elementalism to offer similar range capabilities), I doubt we'd even has 10% of the spiritists we have right now.

Reactions: Jasa

Jasa

Jan 24, 2022
"Spirit Farming" needs to be more engaging in general, and there needs to be more things to do. Considering what is required to get it, it should be significantly more in-depth. Some areas, like graveyards and the necro dungeon, should be naturally teeming with spirits, no need to cast seance. Areas that are "rich in spirits" should also have a chance of some type of spirit boss showing up, something that poses a serious threat to a lone spiritist, possibly even a small group. There are a lot of ideas for spiritism that I have, and I hope something similar to them is eventually implemented. As spiritism is right now, it is honestly the most underwhelming and boring thing in the game, but it's necessary and a good way to make money. If it weren't as good for making money, and if spirits weren't needed for necromancy spells, and if mental projectile wasn't as good as it is (or if we had elementalism to offer similar range capabilities), I doubt we'd even has 10% of the spiritists we have right now.
Spiritism is sadly the 'Gold Farming' skill for mages. It is the best and only way for a lone mage to make bank. The reason mana is considered the 'rich' guild is simply due to them being able to hop skip and bank 200gs worth of gold anywhere and farm it out.

If you removed the gold cost of vendering spirit boxes, I can guarantee that only one to three spiritist would just make money on putting up boxes everywhere since no one else would want to be one. MP is cool but it is not worth 90 points in a skill, and resurrecting people is nice, but again it is not worth it to have every mage have this skill, and I doubt it will be.

Necromancy is cool, death hand is nice to have AuW surge is nearly a requirement, and if it did not take spirits to summon and control zombies I'd have dropped the school like a hot cake. It is almost required for a mage to make enough gold to even train up ritualism.

Spirtism as a whole is a bunch of little niche things that facilitate getting things for other things you want. Spirit Scouting was really the only interactive thing we had and with its removal I only use Spirtism for moving gold or getting from A to B. Need to tame a horse? Spirit over and tame one. Need to get my trinkets to another town? Just jump in a portal. Die? If anyone can make a portal (Which if they have MP then they can) I can just get back into the game with little downtime. Portal Knights are a legitimate class some footies play.

I've given up asking for fundamental changes, and just requesting small things since its up to henrik.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Please, for the love of all that is mejic. Please make it so we get some clade from farming spirits. It can be as low as 1-2 clade, it could be 1 clade per orb or just a flat clade amount. I implore you to allow ether mages to farm clade in some way some how.

Healing clade is good, but it does not cut it on average. Farming as a Mage is still rough, unless you want to become a tamer/ritualist or dominator. Spirtism was nerfed so give it a small buff in this way.

Please & Thank you.
Or better yet have an entry scroll like necromancy or ritualism. You know like the necromancers notes. Which gives the skill at 1 for portals and such.

Jasa

Jan 24, 2022
Or better yet have an entry scroll like necromancy or ritualism. You know like the necromancers notes. Which gives the skill at 1 for portals and such.
Spirtism is supposed to be a rarer school. Henrik desires their rarity to be about 1/10th of the mage population and for each guild to have a token Spirtist or two. How he goes about creating this rarity seems to not be nerfing the drop rates but nerfing the classification as a whole.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Spirtism is supposed to be a rarer school. Henrik desires their rarity to be about 1/10th of the mage population and for each guild to have a token Spirtist or two. How he goes about creating this rarity seems to not be nerfing the drop rates but nerfing the classification as a whole.

Then he failed... because a portal mage is about 1 in 3 right now due to the flux farming from months ago. And necromancers are more common than toothpicks.

Deathstrik3

Apr 18, 2021
Then he failed... because a portal mage is about 1 in 3 right now due to the flux farming from months ago. And necromancers are more common than toothpicks.

Magic rarity means nothing right now when we only have three schools of magic, and collectively most mages can afford the points to get all of them. Add in the fact that it has been several months since the last school was added, and it gives all mages time to get them all. Portal mages are only a little rarer right now in terms of newer players, it takes weeks/months of playing to get the gold in order to buy the skill books, or you need to be playing with a guild that does the dungeons. But, eventually, every mage will end up getting it unless they don't have the points to spare. As more schools of magic come in, and spirits are not needed for the majority of magic schools, spiritism will be less desirable. That said, it's still an issue right now, and I know some people will likely keep spiritism indefinitely because of the money making it can do.

Honestly, the only reason spiritism could be "rare" right now is because some people despise the mechanics of spirit farming enough that they don't want it. But, even then, we still see a lot of foot fighters and other people learning the skills to use portals because of the value of going through portals instead of resurrecting.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
Magic rarity means nothing right now when we only have three schools of magic, and collectively most mages can afford the points to get all of them. Add in the fact that it has been several months since the last school was added, and it gives all mages time to get them all. Portal mages are only a little rarer right now in terms of newer players, it takes weeks/months of playing to get the gold in order to buy the skill books, or you need to be playing with a guild that does the dungeons. But, eventually, every mage will end up getting it unless they don't have the points to spare. As more schools of magic come in, and spirits are not needed for the majority of magic schools, spiritism will be less desirable. That said, it's still an issue right now, and I know some people will likely keep spiritism indefinitely because of the money making it can do.

Honestly, the only reason spiritism could be "rare" right now is because some people despise the mechanics of spirit farming enough that they don't want it. But, even then, we still see a lot of foot fighters and other people learning the skills to use portals because of the value of going through portals instead of resurrecting.

As a mage on my main, and having played with a dozen other mages... I can tell you since the flux nerf the money making potential is CONSIDERABLY less than of say a straight melee toon or a MA. (Both of which I have either had or currently have as alts).

In one hour of farming earn between 100-200g from bandits, risars, or even sators. If I go after a bit more challenging things like Tagmatons, or Trolls I can easily double that. This is with a MA or my MC/Melee toon.

My MM can make about 70-80% of that mainly do to casting times being slower than plinking away with a shortbow and weakspoting every other hit.

As a spiritist you average about 2-4 cuprum flux every hour, maybe 2 silver and if you are lucky a single gold. But 9 times out of 10 you wont get near that. Then you have to try and sell those on the broker, the broker that is already flooded by people who have stockpiles of flux from months ago. Now you could say you are farming spirits to sell... even that isnt a huge earner, you are making 3-4g PER small spirit box, and 10-15g per medium. They are not HUGE sellers by comparison of other items.

The payout vs investment in the character build doesnt even come close to balancing out on a Spiritist currently. You are looking at spending 12k gold for the two books needed on the broker. If you farm them, you will need a pretty good group, of between 5-10 people. And there is about a 1 in 8 chance of you getting the drop you need from either boss. Which means you will need to spend hours on farming that boss just to get one book. These are two bosses that are relatively popular spots for PVP because of their value in loot. So expect your 5-10 person group to get zerged down by a 20-30 person group.

This compared to Necromancy, the other "rare" magic school. Which you can just head to a "hidden" vendor and buy a set of notes for 10g, and unlock the skill, or buy them off the broker from 40-100g. And then spend a few hours in a house grinding the skill up with some ashes and ritual blood from a few stacks of ritual sacrefices. Not exactly the 12k gold investment of Spiritism. Hell even if you bought the necromancers tome off of the broker it isnt even 6k gold currently. Now the REAL money sink in necromancy is Rituals if you you choose to do it. It is not a requirement to be a necromancer, unlike portals for spiritism.

And this is what brings me to my final point. Spiritism mainly portals needs an entry level scroll like necromancers notes to get started for a more reasonable cost. While you are losing the skill from the book in exchange for the grind you are paying considerably less.

Deathstrik3

Apr 18, 2021
As a mage on my main, and having played with a dozen other mages... I can tell you since the flux nerf the money making potential is CONSIDERABLY less than of say a straight melee toon or a MA. (Both of which I have either had or currently have as alts).

In one hour of farming earn between 100-200g from bandits, risars, or even sators. If I go after a bit more challenging things like Tagmatons, or Trolls I can easily double that. This is with a MA or my MC/Melee toon.

My MM can make about 70-80% of that mainly do to casting times being slower than plinking away with a shortbow and weakspoting every other hit.

As a spiritist you average about 2-4 cuprum flux every hour, maybe 2 silver and if you are lucky a single gold. But 9 times out of 10 you wont get near that. Then you have to try and sell those on the broker, the broker that is already flooded by people who have stockpiles of flux from months ago. Now you could say you are farming spirits to sell... even that isnt a huge earner, you are making 3-4g PER small spirit box, and 10-15g per medium. They are not HUGE sellers by comparison of other items.

The payout vs investment in the character build doesnt even come close to balancing out on a Spiritist currently. You are looking at spending 12k gold for the two books needed on the broker. If you farm them, you will need a pretty good group, of between 5-10 people. And there is about a 1 in 8 chance of you getting the drop you need from either boss. Which means you will need to spend hours on farming that boss just to get one book. These are two bosses that are relatively popular spots for PVP because of their value in loot. So expect your 5-10 person group to get zerged down by a 20-30 person group.

This compared to Necromancy, the other "rare" magic school. Which you can just head to a "hidden" vendor and buy a set of notes for 10g, and unlock the skill, or buy them off the broker from 40-100g. And then spend a few hours in a house grinding the skill up with some ashes and ritual blood from a few stacks of ritual sacrefices. Not exactly the 12k gold investment of Spiritism. Hell even if you bought the necromancers tome off of the broker it isnt even 6k gold currently. Now the REAL money sink in necromancy is Rituals if you you choose to do it. It is not a requirement to be a necromancer, unlike portals for spiritism.

And this is what brings me to my final point. Spiritism mainly portals needs an entry level scroll like necromancers notes to get started for a more reasonable cost. While you are losing the skill from the book in exchange for the grind you are paying considerably less.
I 100% agree that portal magic should have a cheaper alternative like the necromancer notes, Maybe not quite as cheap, but something easier to get at least. Though, lately, the price of multiverse and that has been dropping fast. I got multiverse lore for 3,100 gold not too long ago. Still a huge investment at 6-7k, but not the 10-15k it used to be.

As for the "farming", I would still say it has a valuable place, because it is essentially risk free. Farming in meat mode, I almost always run into at least one other person or group, which 50/50 on whether it turns into a fight and as a mage I'm more than likely going to lose if it does. Outside of a couple of more popular locations, the odds of running into another spiritist while farming spirits is extremely low, and the risk when it does happen is even lower.

In the example you gave for flux per hour, even if you only got a single silver and no golds. Selling spirit boxes, 3 cuprum, and 1 silver. That is going to net you around 350g. Maybe more, sure, other methods of farming can make more. But they are significantly more risky, and the risk increase for the additional gold is, imo, not really worthwhile.

200+ gold per hour with no risk at all is a reason to have it, and I know a couple people who only keep it because of that, and the ability to even easily traverse the map or transport gold at lower risk in the form of spirit boxes. To use the words of a guildie, "Spiritism is easy to zero to hero your way up in a town where you have nothing."

All of that said, I think spiritism needs heavy reworks, as I stated in my earlier post. There is a lot of room for improvement, and things that could be done to make it more interesting and enjoyable. And, with only three schools of magic in the game right now, none of them are truly "rare". Given enough time, everyone that goes full mage will eventually try out portal magic, because there just isn't anything else for us mages to do right now, and that quite frankly sucks.

Reactions: Hodo