Some questions about spears and one about creature control

Lord Pulltab

Feb 23, 2022
Does a spear do less damage when using it single handed instead of 2h......like when you also wear a shield.
Have not seen much difference so far...more like single handed I do more damage strange enough.
Also found not much difference in how long it takes to take down an undead when using a 47 pierce damage spear that is worth 19 gold as compared to one with 36 pierce damage that cost me 1 gold.
Could both above issues be down to my spear skill still being quite low....like in 40's
Would extra damage from 2h control of spear or from a better spear only become apparent when my spear skill is quite high?

Then about creature control.
Can that be learned by training horsies or other pets to higher levels and/or by giving them commands......or does one have to read the book first to unlock that skill.

Many thanks again for helping out and your replies.

D

Dracu

Same damage no difference if 1h or 2h.
Weapon skill decides chance to deal full dmg.
If you have 40/100 skill you have a chance to deal full dmg with 100/100 its guaranteed that you do full dmg. But dont ask me on the chances no idea if its linear percentage.

Bladeer01

Aug 1, 2021
for creature control , better read book first to tame first pet :d then it will go up when you have one or multiple pet out

Lord Pulltab

Feb 23, 2022
Thanks for all the info...very helpful once again.

So CC only unlocks after reading book.....as I had pets level up but no CC knowledge yet.

Also would there be any reason to use spear without a shield..apart from weight.....and maybe when riding a pet?

THanks again!

Rhias

May 28, 2020
Yep, CC is not learning by doing and therefore you need to at least start reading the book to unlock it.
2h spear got a different animation. The right slash animation is closer to the thrust without a shield.
Therefore some people prefer fighting 1 vs 1 without shields.

Edit: And blocking with shields usually drains more stamina than blocking with a weapon.

Banespike

Apr 14, 2021
Thanks for all the info...very helpful once again.

So CC only unlocks after reading book.....as I had pets level up but no CC knowledge yet.

Also would there be any reason to use spear without a shield..apart from weight.....and maybe when riding a pet?

THanks again!
If you are still in haven go to the stable to the west entrance of the town (outside) and talk to the taming tutor. He will teach you the basics of taming. Free unlock in : domestication/ taming / creature control.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Stronger weps are usualyl slower so v a walker the increased attack speed of the weaker wep cna have close kill times. In pvp combat theres two more factors, how easy it is to parry and single hit damage. Slow wep is easier to parry, but when you get a hit in it will do more.

As a new player I recommend rolling cheap weapons. Gain on spending 19x as much isnt anywhere near worth it. You use better gear when you can easily afford to lose it, and need to spend your money.

Also side benefit of spear no shield. The animation changes to the same as poleswords. So our right slash animation looks really similar to the stab, which makes it good for tricking people to get a hit in, when they block the wrong direction. works really well if you turn sideways or spin. So they haev to guess if you are slashing or stabbing. And will likely default to stab because it does more. So while the slash hit is weak it rarely gets parried. So I use spear no shield for 1v1, spear and shield for group fights.