Some data on queue position and rates

gavroche3

Apr 27, 2021
Hi all,

So I had a lot of free time this evening (thanks to the Queue, praise be unto our new god), and I started collecting some data on queue time and rates. I basically collected my position every so often, and at the end, I left the queue and rejoined, to see the top of the queue.

Here's a chart of my findings for general curiosity. I can talk about some of the data a bit more if anyone is interested in how I collected it.

Attachments

• Estimates of Queue Statistics 2_4_2022 (1).png
    Estimates of Queue Statistics 2_4_2022 (1).png
    22.9 KB · Views: 206

Torr

Feb 5, 2022
basically sums up the problem. 2k of the same players that stay logged in all day every day vs the other people who can never ever play
Maybe a third to half of people are consistently AFK at a time because the server issues, and don't want to leave for fear of not being able to get back in... Though I agree, a AFK timer to kick would alleviate a lot of hurt and allow more of a revolving door. Not a complete fix though. Not even close.

iiell

Jan 27, 2022
Let's say 50% of the player base bought more than 1 copy of the game so they have 2 or more characters. That's still less than 5% of the customer base that can play the game concurrently. I am not ready to give up on SV, but I sure hope to see better progress towards at least 8000 concurrent players in Myrland. Is that even possible? We'll see.

SirVirtuo

Nov 2, 2021
Honestly, Starvault hasn't appeared to have real urgency to increase the player cap. After toting a 100k players, the servers can hardly handle more than 2k right now. These are not just numbers, these are paying players not able to get into the game.

I had hoped they could raise the cap, and initially thought that was what they were working on these last two attempts, but that just doesn't appear to be happening. I fear Henrik wasn't ready for this, and not sure if he will be able to pull through it without hot swapping his favored Haven servers to buff up Myrland.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Honestly, Starvault hasn't appeared to have real urgency to increase the player cap. After toting a 100k players, the servers can hardly handle more than 2k right now. These are not just numbers, these are paying players not able to get into the game.

I had hoped they could raise the cap, and initially thought that was what they were working on these last two attempts, but that just doesn't appear to be happening. I fear Henrik wasn't ready for this, and not sure if he will be able to pull through it without hot swapping his favored Haven servers to buff up Myrland.

I'm sad that they're betting against the success of their own game by basically waiting until 90% of their playbase quits or starts playing much less, but I guess realistically it was bound to happen anyways

pooternackle

Mar 21, 2021
With the miniscule server cap, the devs have created an incentive structure that encourages them to avoid updates that make the game popular/expand the playerbase. Popular updates/more players means nonplayability and more bad reviews.

I've pretty much decided to tap out if they don't raise the server cap substantially. If it's not raised, the devs will keep the game bad to ensure only the crazed few that can fit in the server will want to play. Only reason I'm still checking for updates is because I find it hard to believe that any developers would actually go out of their way to make their game as unaccessible as MO2 currently is. Sadly, it's looking like even if this wasn't the intent, they either don't know how to fix the capacity issue or it's unfixable.

The world is still incredibly empty. Cities are populated, but even they have room for a lot more people (at least that was the case the couple of times I was able to log in). 2k is not enough to adequately fill the world contrary to what some fanatic defenders of the Devs are insisting.

Reactions: Psyop and Hooves

Darthus

Dec 1, 2020
Hi all,

So I had a lot of free time this evening (thanks to the Queue, praise be unto our new god), and I started collecting some data on queue time and rates. I basically collected my position every so often, and at the end, I left the queue and rejoined, to see the top of the queue.

Here's a chart of my findings for general curiosity. I can talk about some of the data a bit more if anyone is interested in how I collected it.

I'm curious about your assumptions. So I'm assuming the top of the blue bar is essentially how far you'd moved down the queue at each time point (suggesting that the people in front of you got into Myrland). You said you logged into the queue again at the end to get the total queue size, but that would only be the queue point at that final point correct (yet you extrapole a queue size to the other time points as well).

And your "remainder" is I'm assuming the difference of the queue + your Myrland number subtracted from the total players as reported by Steam?

I guess I'm just not sure how you can have a reliable # for the # of people in Myrland, even if you know the queue size when you queued and how much it's going down. There were likely people who got into Myrland before you queued, and there are people leaving Myrland while you're queuing even as your queue number goes down (or as you're saying, people leaving queue also triggers your queue going down, and they didn't enter Myrland).

Slize

Mar 11, 2021
Maybe a third to half of people are consistently AFK at a time because the server issues, and don't want to leave for fear of not being able to get back in... Though I agree, a AFK timer to kick would alleviate a lot of hurt and allow more of a revolving door. Not a complete fix though. Not even close.

It would not change much, ppl would just use macros to refresh afk times. A monkey can literally google it and use so yea :/

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
The world is still incredibly empty. Cities are populated, but even they have room for a lot more people (at least that was the case the couple of times I was able to log in). 2k is not enough to adequately fill the world contrary to what some fanatic defenders of the Devs are insisting.
And they made the world 4x as big so it could hold the players they wanted to get. That cant log in lmao. I really wish MO2 was just MO1's world but remade in UE4. And they could have just added more continents if they needed to. Each continent works as its own server too so it would have had way less server issues. But sadly thats long past being an option.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Hooves

Nov 30, 2020
Couldn’t agree more.

Making the map so large was a terrible choice. They could have made it 1/4th the size and added another continent on another set of server nodes. That way, the map wouldn’t feel so empty and you wouldn’t have to walk for 45 mins through a hellscape to get to a mob spawn…but alas.

Reactions: Psyop

Amelia

Jun 6, 2020
Bytheway how Is the game now when you enter? Smooth, lag, desync or not?

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Easy fix honestly, ban people for a day who macro. They wont do it again for sure.
Pretty much, people will police other people who macro even if they bypass some sort of auto kick.
We have a Contact GM option for a reason, GMs gotta have something to do...

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Psyop

Jan 29, 2022
I find it hard to believe that any developers would actually go out of their way to make their game as unaccessible as MO2 currently is

Hilariously, it does appear this way. I think it's some type of reverse psychology trick.

Tashka

Dec 4, 2021
Seems like this data is no longer accurate. After today's optimisation update it's 1500.

Torr

Feb 5, 2022
Pretty much, people will police other people who macro even if they bypass some sort of auto kick.
We have a Contact GM option for a reason, GMs gotta have something to do...
The GMs have a lot on their hands… there’s a litany of relatively minor bugs (in the grand scheme of things) and places where you get stuck and literally can’t get out of if you fall in…

Torr

Feb 5, 2022
Seems like this data is no longer accurate. After today's optimisation update it's 1500.
You're completely right. It appears after this morning's "optimizations" they cut it down to 2/3, from ~2330 to ~1550... Really really sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Psyop

Psyop

Jan 29, 2022
You're completely right. It appears after this morning's "optimizations" they cut it down to 2/3, from ~2330 to ~1550... Really really sad.

This sounds about right for UE4, since Lumberyard being spankier can't handle more than 2,250 and UE4 being a bit older may not be as optimized. Is this entire game concept a fraud?