Solo and small scale pvp

Apocryphal

May 28, 2020
I known MO is a mmo, and it should not cater to solo play per say.

But I think there is an important balance aspect in giving some tools for smaller groups to combat larger groups. Both to increase the skillgap but also to not just make it a perpetual x+1 fight.

At the moment the combination of really strong, no stam, bows. Very small movement speed differences, high time to kill and a rather slow combat system all work against any kind of small scale pvp.

Not sure what should be done, but some more offensive tools to get through standing and parrying, and more diversity in movement speed could be somewhere to start.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Solo foot fighting was never really a thing, because regardless of being able to kill people you were always going to end up against multiples. A solo foot rpk was too enticing not to Zerg down.

solo gankers (I assume you are not the type to ask politely to your aquaintance if he would like to pvp to the death with you) have always been mounted. MAs and MCs. It’s the only way to have a reliable chance of escaping when they would inevitably call for back up. Pretty sure MO2 will be the same.

Last edited:

Rhias

May 28, 2020
The current mechanics do not really encourage solo melee PVP. You loose stamina for every hit you get (or parry). So basically people spamming you will result in no stamina.

If you want to escape solo you should aim for a terrain with a lot of mountains e.g. Fabernum and (ab)use it as much as you can.
Never wear any armor with reduced stamina drain (13+kg?).
Use an alvarin with the reduced fall damage and max jumping height in combat mode clade gifts.
Use a 9.9kg armor or put one armor part on the hotbar to get rid of the "heavy armor" fall damage penalty.

And if you engage solo, make sure to always use the situation and the moment of surprise to your advantage. Not honorable, but effective. ;)

Just a few examples:

Last edited:

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Solo foot fighting was never really a thing, because regardless of being able to kill people you were always going to end up against multiples. A solo foot rpk was too enticing not to Zerg down.

solo gankers (I assume you are not the type to ask politely to your aquaintance if he would like to pvp to the death with you) have always been mounted. MAs and MCs. It’s the only way to have a reliable chance of escaping when they would inevitably call for back up. Pretty sure MO2 will be the same.
What? Solo roaming on a hybrid happened all the time.

The current mechanics do not really encourage solo melee PVP. You loose stamina for every hit you get (or parry). So basically people spamming you will result in no stamina.

If you want to escape solo you should aim for a terrain with a lot of mountains e.g. Fabernum and (ab)use it as much as you can.
Never wear any armor with reduced stamina drain (13+kg?).
Use an alvarin with the reduced fall damage and max jumping height in combat mode clade gifts.

Human is better than Alvarin. You should try it. Alvarin is too slow in the new game.
I agree though, this game is not very solo friendly.

Reactions: Tehmudjin

Rhias

May 28, 2020
@Rorry The spear fighter build in the last 2 videos was actually a human build. And for Hybrids I would run that build again. However, for archers the stamina regeneration clade gift of the alvarin is really handsome.

Reactions: Rorry

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
@Rorry The spear fighter build in the last 2 videos was actually a human build. And for Hybrids I would run that build again. However, for archers the stamina regeneration clade gift of the alvarin is really handsome.
Ah, I haven't watched the videos yet because I am using my phone. Thanks. I will check them out tonight.

Ask

Jun 10, 2020
I think the map is a little bit too big now to encourage solo foot roams. As far as I'm concerned depending on location smaller groups are still viable at fighting larger groups. For example the situation in GK atm. Smaller groups preforming hit and run tactics on larger groups happens on a daily basis.

arcana

Apr 8, 2021
This game both has some upsides and downsides when it comes to the combat compared to MO1. On one hand it feels like you can fight outnumbered easier, because trash players are very easy to kill fast, especially since everyone is in bad armor, hopefully this doesnt change too much later on.

On the other hand, the game is extremely zerg friendly and its very hard to get away from a zerg if you are already in melee range. You have kids pegging you with bows, the speed differences being negligeble, the stamina bleed when you are low health and the overall slowish stam regen.

The combat itself is pretty awful compared to MO1 mostly the result of this braindead blocking system and slow motion swings. Or as SV likes to put it "ping normalization". The less people you have, the harder it is to kill a person as they can just block up and parry every hit, but the more players you have, the more impossible it gets to parry stuff considering you will have 4 kids swinging all seperate swing directions and with the "normalized" movement speed, you cant turn around and just start running, so if you put yourself in a position where you start swinging and getting swung at, its very hard to get out of that range.

Reactions: Rhias and Rorry