Shield

Joe McFly

Jan 26, 2022
I use the spear as my main weapon. Does a shield give me additional protection or advantages without the skill blocking?

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
Yes. When they hit your shield, even if you arent blocking, it gives bonus mitigation, based on the shields stats, and where they hit after the shield. So having a steel shield on your back with no armor will still be worse than having a steel shield with steel armor.

Note tho, that actually blocking with shields uses more stam. Either based on the shield type its weight, or I think a combination of the two. when you first block, you will see it uses a chunk of stam. That's what changes, not how fast you regen stam while holding block. The issue with not having blocking, is you dont have blocking endurance. So you dont stam up while blocking. Which makes a really big difference. So I highly advise maxing blocking and finding something else to drop.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Yes. When they hit your shield, even if you arent blocking, it gives bonus mitigation, based on the shields stats, and where they hit after the shield. So having a steel shield on your back with no armor will still be worse than having a steel shield with steel armor.

Note tho, that actually blocking with shields uses more stam. Either based on the shield type its weight, or I think a combination of the two. when you first block, you will see it uses a chunk of stam. That's what changes, not how fast you regen stam while holding block. The issue with not having blocking, is you dont have blocking endurance. So you dont stam up while blocking. Which makes a really big difference. So I highly advise maxing blocking and finding something else to drop.

my friend has a 35% khur and I'm tryin' out new blocking like... yo take some swings lemme try this, and I'm watching as he just blast out my health. Admittedly, I am in light armor w/ 0 blocking (at the time,) but I actually specced it after that. That being said! I will unspec soon! Blocking is def necessary for serious melee fighting I'd say, but it also makes me wonder if, by the way I move, I could cheese a lot of hits into the shield. The thing is, there is no 1h that is gud (for my style imo.)

Shields are def nice and I dunno if I've ever beaten anyone in a duel in MO who had a shield. They for real fuck with me. Plus blocking arrows!

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
my friend has a 35% khur and I'm tryin' out new blocking like... yo take some swings lemme try this, and I'm watching as he just blast out my health. Admittedly, I am in light armor w/ 0 blocking (at the time,) but I actually specced it after that. That being said! I will unspec soon! Blocking is def necessary for serious melee fighting I'd say, but it also makes me wonder if, by the way I move, I could cheese a lot of hits into the shield. The thing is, there is no 1h that is gud (for my style imo.)

Shields are def nice and I dunno if I've ever beaten anyone in a duel in MO who had a shield. They for real fuck with me. Plus blocking arrows!
Some weapons haev a hard time with shields, some dont. Like if you are short and they are tall wit ha sword, you are screwed, they can get easy head hits. Poles can easily hit legs. The issue with trying to move so they get more shield hits, is what you see isnt what they see, because lag and shit. And it heavily relies on them being worse. A really sweaty player whos good at fighting shield users wont have a hard time not hitting the shield.

1h warclub dunks ass. Thing heavily over performs, is best non spear 1h wep I know of.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Some weapons haev a hard time with shields, some dont. Like if you are short and they are tall wit ha sword, you are screwed, they can get easy head hits. Poles can easily hit legs. The issue with trying to move so they get more shield hits, is what you see isnt what they see, because lag and shit. And it heavily relies on them being worse. A really sweaty player whos good at fighting shield users wont have a hard time not hitting the shield.

1h warclub dunks ass. Thing heavily over performs, is best non spear 1h wep I know of.

I was thinking of it more as a strategy like making the shield as big and annoying as possible by how you move.

Gulith

Apr 5, 2021
Last stream, henrik talked about shield having resistance to magic in future shield balance iteration, some sort of "equipment hit" for spells i guess.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Last stream, henrik talked about shield having resistance to magic in future shield balance iteration, some sort of "equipment hit" for spells i guess.

haha in response to a question? I feel like dood might just be pulling that shit. Always the strangest things. No mana resist armor... but shield block? YES. Definitely redefines the shield and, same, you could prol cheese some fails over time, but lol... considering all the shit that he's like nah to, it's weird what ends up being "canon" per se.