Scribing...needs to be like MO1

Atr3au

Sep 22, 2020
Hopefully this should entice all those NW crafters to come over, gather mats, hold left click = win

Anything where you are producing a product and just have to hold one button to do so is extremely lazy IMO. I thought this was a next gen mmo?

Reactions: Nefnate

Valoran

May 28, 2020
It makes gameplay sense. Maybe not RP sense but the thing with RP I can make up anything like scrolls are degraded and parts of it are unreadable so you need multiple to get the missing parts from each.

The content is obtaining scrolls, scribing is not content. its a number next to a work in the skill screen. A mini game is a mini game not very in depth or fulfilling content.

Now the journey to get the scrolls might be need to be completed several times making far more content then get a scroll and be done with it forever.
I disagree.

The scribing minigame was definitely content. Every time you engage with a game system you're experiencing the content of that game, and making a process more interesting without making it tedious or annoying should be the goal of any game system provided time and resources allow for it.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I disagree.

The scribing minigame was definitely content. Every time you engage with a game system you're experiencing the content of that game, and making a process more interesting without making it tedious or annoying should be the goal of any game system provided time and resources allow for it.
Your standard for content is extreamly low it is not considered content by the majority of people.

• Haha

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Could you provide citations or any factual evidence toward your claim of mo1 scribing being content?

• Wow

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Could you provide citations or any factual evidence toward your claim of mo1 scribing being content?

Maybe I can step between the both of you and say that you're both right in your own way.

MO1 scribing, whilst 'not much' can be seen by some as pointless and you're better off pruning it for something much faster / simplistic considering it wasn't well done to begin with.

Whilst on the other side that minigame even if not 'all that' was there and showed the game had some 'depth' to it beyond just combining scrolls.

Let's just agree MO1 did some things right, some things wrong; some thing right but not enough - and some things wrong but too much of.

MO2 should be about a game having some life and depth to it, not just combining scrolls; or a half-baked drawing game. Something that engages the player more heavily is what needed.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Maybe I can step between the both of you and say that you're both right in your own way.

MO1 scribing, whilst 'not much' can be seen by some as pointless and you're better off pruning it for something much faster / simplistic considering it wasn't well done to begin with.

Whilst on the other side that minigame even if not 'all that' was there and showed the game had some 'depth' to it beyond just combining scrolls.

Let's just agree MO1 did some things right, some things wrong; some thing right but not enough - and some things wrong but too much of.

MO2 should be about a game having some life and depth to it, not just combining scrolls; or a half-baked drawing game. Something that engages the player more heavily is what needed.
I think requiring multiple of the same scrolls is more engaging since you have to do more of the main engaging part of scribing which is gathering the scrolls. They have RNG to do the same thing but its less full fulling then having a for sure 100% chance.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
I think requiring multiple of the same scrolls is more engaging since you have to do more of the main engaging part of scribing which is gathering the scrolls. They have RNG to do the same thing but its less full fulling then having a for sure 100% chance.

Was it confirmed to lower the chance of failure?

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I much would prefer things to require some amount of player skill.

Even with the multiple scroll thing the task could be easier if you have multiple scrolls as well.

This way an experience player that has become good at the task could do it successfully with fewer scrolls (and skill points) than a player that had not yet learned to do the task as well.

Lockpicking in the first game was a pretty good example (Though still could be improved on).

A new lockpicker could get their character skill up high so they could have success easier.

While an experienced lockpicker could free up some points once they became proficient at lockpicking.

Nefnate

Jun 23, 2021
My Mind
Yes.
  1. If you take the word "Content", and assume it means, in this context, "something to do", "doing something", or perhaps evening "doing":
    1. Merriam Webster defines that "doing" is the act of performing or executing an action, or things that occur.
    2. -
  2. "Content" as defined in Merriam Webster:
    1. Though there are irrelevant meanings of the word when applied to this context, as well, you can see:
      1. Entry 1: 1a, 1c, 2a, 2c, 3a, 3b - all could insinuate that the Scribing Mini-game in MO1 are "content".
      2. -
  3. "Game Content" as defined on LawInsider (which has it's own citations):
    1. This website robustly defines the depth and variables included by the term "Game Content",
    2. and in which ways it is affected by Law in the USA.
    3. -
I think being prompted with a variable user interface that is interactive and has varying outcomes depending on user input, fits all of the above definitions and more.

I could have continued, but, I think my point has been made. If not, yikes.

If you are going to spend hours using a forum, throwing your energy and opinion at it, you could at least attempt some higher function and talk about things factually. Put on your mature pants, so to speak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valoran

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
The Accursed Swamp of Florida
Just for input's sake: I've had multiple scrolls go from relatively low percentages to 100%.

For transcendental awareness scrolls (recommended for 40-65), I had:
  • 4% chance of success at 41.
  • 75% chance of success at 58.
  • 100% chance of success at 71.
When you reach 100% in scribing it's possible it's no longer RNG, and is just a pure 100% combination system.

RaptorBlackz

Sep 4, 2020
Australia
Just for input's sake: I've had multiple scrolls go from relatively low percentages to 100%.

For transcendental awareness scrolls (recommended for 40-65), I had:
  • 4% chance of success at 41.
  • 75% chance of success at 58.
  • 100% chance of success at 71.
When you reach 100% in scribing it's possible it's no longer RNG, and is just a pure 100% combination system.
Have you tried an earthquake scroll to see what's the percentage for that at 100scribing, Curious if it'll be 100% or under/around 80%.

Regardless the grind/leveling once the game releases will still be RNG based early-game, For what you've completed before in the past you may fail again on another book.

Tuhtram

Jul 29, 2021
The Accursed Swamp of Florida
Have you tried an earthquake scroll to see what's the percentage for that at 100scribing, Curious if it'll be 100% or under/around 80%.

Regardless the grind/leveling once the game releases will still be RNG based early-game, For what you've completed before in the past you may fail again on another book.
Haven't had the time yet to get the skill to 100 because I've been at work a lot since the discussions started, so like I said at least so far it's looking like 100%. I plan on updating everyone when I'm able to do that, if nobody else in the discussions decides to get to 100 skill first to share with the rest of us how this system actually works.

They could take out the RNG chance to fail, absolutely, but if it does get to 100% with 100 skill then the only actual difference is you just cannot attempt it at lower levels. I.e.

Current system:
  • 4% chance at 41.
  • 75% chance at 58.
  • 100% chance at 71.
Without any RNG:
  • "You do not have enough knowledge of Scribing to add this to your spellbook." at 41
  • "You do not have enough knowledge of Scribing to add this to your spellbook." at 58.
  • "You have enough knowledge of Scribing to add this to your spellbook." at 71 (presumably starting at 65).

It's essentially the same thing, without the 'your skill is lower than recommended' chance for success/failure.

Personally, I had an unfair advantage with the old system. I have one of these for art, and it also worked with scribing (and drawing) UI:

c6BhKwzaiF3QhZnkoHqdFU-1200-80.jpg

It meant I really couldn't mess up easily, zero challenge, just tracing a line.

I do agree, however, that scribing could have its own little minigame that feels thematic and fitting and that the current one just feels soulless in comparison. I'm not in support of the current system and loving it or whatever, I just think people mischaracterizing it and saying 'SV are having us randomly lose our scrolls for a completely RNG system with no chance of guaranteeing success!!!' isn't fair to them either. You can seemingly (I'm not saying certainly, because as far as I know nobody in any of these discussions so far has 100 skill in scribing) entirely avoid that if you don't just throw your scrolls at it when it says below 100%, if 100 skill does allow you to 100% everything.

I don't think the old system was the best, nor do I think the new one is. It could be a lot better and more thematic/fitting and interactive, and I do agree with that feedback.

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
I just think people mischaracterizing it and saying 'SV are having us randomly lose our scrolls for a completely RNG system with no chance of guaranteeing success!!!' isn't fair to them either. You can seemingly (I'm not saying certainly, because as far as I know nobody in any of these discussions so far has 100 skill in scribing) entirely avoid that if you don't just throw your scrolls at it when it says below 100%, if 100 skill does allow you to 100% everything.

I don't think the old system was the best, nor do I think the new one is. It could be a lot better and more thematic/fitting and interactive, and I do agree with that feedback.

Sometimes people are just fully loaded and then someone puts another straw and they just unload even before the last straw is on their back. My experience with MO2 (outside of combat) is that it either copied the MO1 system or not having enough time to do even that they went with a system even worse than MO1 - scribing being just the latest example.

Two months away from release and this is what we have, I mean they even copied the flying mobs we had at MO1 release... we all love this game, even the ones that love to hate on it, and many just can't see how this will work out any different which leads to frustration, which leads to "burning the witch" with or without a proper witch.

Reactions: Tuhtram

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
the MO1 scribing was hardware and software setting dependent, not rly fair and kinda abusable.

there maybe better implementations but the RNG system with 100% success rate at higher levels and the possibility to obtain the spells on a lower level with a fail rate as penalty is a good way imo, better than i.e. nerfing the spell and you need to rescribe at maximum lvl.

btw, just because MO1 had drawing and some vets are used to it for scribing does not mean that you "need" a more complex system, there will be a mage school where you can draw afaik.

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Personally, I had an unfair advantage with the old system. I have one of these for art, and it also worked with scribing (and drawing) UI:
That's a fair advantage.
An unfair advantage would be bribing someone to come and joggle someone else's elbow.
A better contest would be if Star Vault substituted some challenge to the system that did not change difficulty according to the player's device and equipmant —if that is possible.