Ritualism pets

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
Been testing ritualism pets. TL;DR: they're meh at best, mostly dogshit.

Terror Birds: way slower than the living version, can't do anything to raise the speed..
Bear: Ok ish, dmg, and hp are always lower than living. Slower than living.
Celeano: still decent, horribly slow, can't keep up with a horse, Not even 1 speed.
Mino: dog shit hp, dmg. has a knockback.
tagmaton: terrible hp, no resists, hardly any dmg
tupilak: dmg is ok, hp is not bad but it's slow and it's an arrow magnet. It has little to no pierce resist so it melts incredibly quickly.

The problem is the pets have no resists, they have significantly lower speed, hp and damage too. Even piercing resist would be enough to make them usable.

They would be viable if they had better resists and at least 90% of the hp of the living version. Pet armors might help but the non-existent natural resists mean that Risen pets will still nearly insta drop to arrows and will be significantly slower. They are gimped to the point of not being worth the trouble.

Some may argue that the reduced skill point cost should make the pets weaker to domination/taming.
To that I'd argue that while the sp cost is lower the time sink, gold sink and overall logistics of getting ritualism pets compensates for the sp.
Risen pets shouldn't be this bad.

Last edited:

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Yes but ritual pets can be summoned again once they are dead, while tamed/dominated cannot. Also tamed/domiated take a long time to be levelled, so losing one is quite a big deal. You cant just go tame yourself one other high level one.
Dom/tamer pretty much have to go back to their stable and get one other pet out that they have already spent time levelling

D

Deleted member 44

Yes but ritual pets can be summoned again once they are dead, while tamed/dominated cannot. Also tamed/domiated take a long time to be levelled, so losing one is quite a big deal. You cant just go tame yourself one other high level one.
Dom/tamer pretty much have to go back to their stable and get one other pet out that they have already spent time levelling
No they can't. Once a ritual pet is dead, it's dead. There is no carcass to reuse.

D

Deleted member 44

I agree with the OP. Ritual pets should not be as bad as they are. They should at worst be -10% weaker than tamed pets while at best with gem/relic investments be 10% better than tamed pets.

The cost argument on tamed pets is irrelevant. You need 84~200 primary points to have the best tamed pet and you need 200 primary points to have risen pet. The risen pets take more effort to obtain as the ritualist has to obtain the pet themselves, the pet cannot enter towns, the pet must be leveled by the ritualist, the pet cannot be traded, and the ritualist must gather resources to make the pet worth while. Anyone with a brain has the pets traded to their combat characters to use. With the trinket system, you can even get taming and cc/adv CC trinkets that supplement your build when you need it. This cannot be done with necro as your pets instantly become nerfed if points are dropped in necromancy spells.

The only argument that can really be had is for domination as that takes 238~338 primary points to obtain. Domination pets also have the full value of their stats and HP which already makes them better than most ritualist pets with the same restrictions.

Reactions: Fearce

Domtomsen

Feb 26, 2022
Its hard to balance. Tamed Pets will never max lvl. Combined with a horse you will never get a combat pet over 101 -105. And thats with a lvl 5 horse. A ritualist can have a 125 horse and 125 pet. While needing way less primary points.

Both of them need to lvl i guess. The investement is kinda the same. Depends on what is more valuable to you. Gems or the time you need to bring the pets from somewhere.

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
Its hard to balance. Tamed Pets will never max lvl. Combined with a horse you will never get a combat pet over 101 -105. And thats with a lvl 5 horse. A ritualist can have a 125 horse and 125 pet. While needing way less primary points.

Both of them need to lvl i guess. The investement is kinda the same. Depends on what is more valuable to you. Gems or the time you need to bring the pets from somewhere.
Carcass doesn’t spawn in town either. You have to ride out to get it and bring it back. Anyway you look at it ritualism pets shouldn’t be this bad. They need to increase their speed to match living pets / horses and give them piercing resistance.

Highlander

Oct 27, 2021
pets are bad for game. nerf /remove them. use greater walkers, takes skill to aim at least

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
pets are bad for game. nerf /remove them. use greater walkers, takes skill to aim at least
have you ever used a walker? lol they're shit, range is incredibly low, they're expensive, finicky and the spell doesn't work 50% when you move. If anything, fix or remove walkers.

Highlander

Oct 27, 2021
have you ever used a walker? lol they're shit, range is incredibly low, they're expensive, finicky and the spell doesn't work 50% when you move. If anything, fix or remove walkers.
i agree with you. they should change them in something like the pet system . raise> control > click target > drain mana over time.

UrDUumb

Apr 25, 2022
Walkers are garbage! They run out of stamina like wtf they are dead. How do they run out of stamina. The attack they have is slow. I mean give me some necro bow men or spell casters. Something useful. I mean limit me to one or two walkers but at the very least give me something useful. Take 100 mana away from me for each raised dead.

ritual pets don’t even bother beyond worthless

Reactions: Fearce and Calcal

MO2RIP

Feb 9, 2022
Well I guess they remembered that the necro pet made every other pet in MO1 inferior. Balance has never been SV's strong suit.

• Haha

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
Just wait till the death knight is in game. Like steel clad terror birds that can parry 😉
I thought Henrik said they werent gonna add Death Knights or Shades?

They are obviously scared of super OP pets like in MO1, and thats good, but why even add Necromancy as the first school then? From what Ive heard its pretty much a waste of gold, they could have used that dev time to add elementalism or just work on TC...

D

Deleted member 44

I thought Henrik said they werent gonna add Death Knights or Shades?

They are obviously scared of super OP pets like in MO1, and thats good, but why even add Necromancy as the first school then? From what Ive heard its pretty much a waste of gold, they could have used that dev time to add elementalism or just work on TC...
Jokes on you. Already in the game but currently disabled.

Highlander

Oct 27, 2021
Walkers are garbage! They run out of stamina like wtf they are dead. How do they run out of stamina. The attack they have is slow. I mean give me some necro bow men or spell casters. Something useful. I mean limit me to one or two walkers but at the very least give me something useful. Take 100 mana away from me for each raised dead.

ritual pets don’t even bother beyond worthless
walkers with bows? that would be cool to have to fight mounteds

Fearce

Mar 3, 2022
I spoke about it already in another thread.

And my idea for ritualism would be:

Change the perspective and imagine for a second what this system could become @Herius @Robmo

Imagine you could go out in the wild and your ritual circle is a spell you can cast and where you need wood, stone and some other ressources you can find outside of towns.
You cast the spell and create a ritual circle on the ground and you use some bush pig carcass to create your first abomination. It should not matter what carcass you use because a necromancer can turn everything into something evil. You use your first abomination to fight other creatures and from these carcassas you create new ones.
Not only would the levling be so much more enjoyable because it would bring a whole new dynamic to it and the levling process would turn into something usefull while you interact with the world. It is not about riding to a merchant buy ritual circles and spend the entire time in your house grinding the skill up. It would bring people outside of towns. It would drive more people to explore the world of nave and create more content for everybody.

For reworking this you not need much changes.
I would do it like that. The main carcass of the pet you want to create is significantly reduced and defines the way the pet looks (Bear, Terrorbird etc.). Lets say 10 or 20 per summon. In that case you can always bring a couple with you like a magic reagent. BUT you always need to add a support carcass. The only crucial design part is to get the tier levels of the different animals together and more tighter so that it not matter that much what support carcass you use. Same like a weapon crafting system. It determines health, damage and damage mitigation.
Create a spell for basic field summoning ritual circles for the necromancer school. The Level of the abomination you create is defined by your ritual level. For level 125 you need level 100 in rituals. And thats pretty much it.

The system can evolve over time. For example you could bring in special ritual tables, like the one for the tupilaks and also build a system on it when you combine carcassas with each other. There is so much you could add later on when you have a working foundation!

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
I spoke about it already in another thread.

And my idea for ritualism would be:
a working foundation is not something SV knows a thing about.

Have to keep poking SV and discussing this, or they will sweep it under the rug, and nothing will change. My theory is that they will wait until beastmastery to make any significant changes and see how pet armors change the balance. I still think they need to address ritualism pet speed as none of the pets can keep up with a horse even in 2 speed, while also having 0 resistances.

Reactions: Nastro