Risk Vs Reward & Combat Balancing in Full loot MMO's.

Wilhelm Windlicht

Aug 18, 2023
Thats not a valid statement.
If so, I could also say " There are carebear games with pvp trigger and safe areas for those who dont like being killed by other players, and There are full loot games like MO2 for those who prefer exciting games" !

Plus, have you EVER gone to any of the guardless towns in this game ? Kranesh, cave camp, gaul kor... 100% empty.
If you see more than ZERO people, jackpot !
The jungle camp has a little bit people... but that place sucks anyway.

The point is... Guards should NEVER BE outside towns !
If we use the same logic, they should add random monsters roaming INSIDE towns attacking people on vendors. How about that ? Bandits in Tindrem alleys... Wolves in the priest cave inside Moh KI....
These guardless Towns might be get populated now, when reds are not anymore safe hided as blue in guarded towns. Why not meet in towns like Kranesh likeminded people and have aweseome small scale fights. It would not work for the "kill defenseless newbie" and griefing playstyle, but that is good for a healty playerbase

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
People are never going to play a game they feel they can't be competitive in. When you read through steam reviews most players quit with under 200 hours. They would never get to the sea, they would never get to caravans, they would never get to poisoning.

The chief complaint from the players quitting is 1. The combat system, 2. The fact that "starter cities" are extremely dangerous. And they are not wrong on either of these. Gaul Kor is unironically safer then Fabernum and the melee combat system is unsurpassable for many players with low mechanical skill ceilings. They don't know how to put their thoughts in to words but I can for them.

I win most of my duels in Fabernum, I am somewhere around the top 10% of melee players. Not a great player for sure but I win more then I lose. But you will not see me defend this combat system ever because it's absolutely the worst i've ever encountered in any MMO. You have to remember this is a MMO, it is NOT a matchmade game with ELO. You can't put this hyper skill-cap meta into a MMO, it literally does not work. People quit, other MMO's have tried, they failed. There are many examples, don't make the same mistakes as all the other dead Full-Loot games. And you shouldn't be able to farm noobs on repeat near starter cities.
Lol at calling MO2 combat "hyper skill-cap meta"... The combat is already dumbed down alot with their ping normalization, what else u want arrows showing the direction like Gloria Victis? Why did that game die if it was basically a super casual dumbed down version of MO with everything you said would bring massive population?

And TBH Fabernum shouldnt count as a starter city, that title should be only for the capital cities like Tindrem or Morin Khur. Cities like Fab should be somewhat safe (guards like in alpha) while the capitals could have an increased guard presence but with much lower resources in general. But your wet dream is coming true next patch, there will be guards everywhere around every single town and we will see if it helps the noob population so much.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Lol at calling MO2 combat "hyper skill-cap meta"... The combat is already dumbed down alot with their ping normalization, what else u want arrows showing the direction like Gloria Victis? Why did that game die if it was basically a super casual dumbed down version of MO with everything you said would bring massive population?

And TBH Fabernum shouldnt count as a starter city, that title should be only for the capital cities like Tindrem or Morin Khur. Cities like Fab should be somewhat safe (guards like in alpha) while the capitals could have an increased guard presence but with much lower resources in general. But your wet dream is coming true next patch, there will be guards everywhere around every single town and we will see if it helps the noob population so much.

it's higher skill floor than it should be. It's one of the most terrible things: high barrier of entry, huge samey zone, very small top and the top probably depends a lot on ping.

There is nothing wrong with MO being more life sim, but it's a bad life sim, too. Nothing is improving. Like you said, there can be different areas with different security, but the base level should be LESS security. There should even be - gasp - lightly guarded towns.

I wish all of you dudes that have a problem w/ MO would actually quit tho. Once they see what level of their player base they are going to lose, they might change their mind. I know, it's gonna be sad cuz dudes got their TC and wah wah wah... SV got 'em locked in.

The fact that MO2 is such a failure is baffling. It's really sad, and I apologize to anyone this offends (people who like MO2?) but it's just deeply depressing how badly they fucked up what MO1 should have been with many of the limitations of MO1 removed.

I'm glad to see the pop is dropping off. Everyone wants to believe it can be good, but the devs don't have the ability to imagine the effect their changes will have, which is a huge flaw haha. The fact that the game is worse than it was in beta is truly a sight to behold.

I bet legit half of the pop are people who dislike MO's direction but won't let go of their TC. LET IT GO. Shit, everyone take one day off and see what the max pop says for that 24 hrs. Screen shot it and send it to Henrik and say, "This is what you are gonna have."

Legit couldn't even play the game for more than a few days. If you guys don't actually stop playing before sub is introduced, you are gonna get hooked into a bad game WITH SUB and Henrik is gonna hold you by the balls. RIP. RISE UP. RISE UP AND GRASP THE LAST HOPE YOU HAVE.

Reactions: Teknique

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023

I'm comparing MO2 combat to its successful competition; Survival games, OSRS, Albion and EVE. That demographic is where you will derive your player-base from. Do you think new players sprout from bean stalks? They come from other games silly. They have to come from somewhere right? Unless they were born recently and this is there very first game which is not the case in most situations.

All the players in Gloria, MO2, Chivalry, and Mordhau combined can not match 5% of Albions or OSRS daily player count. Like it or not, those games are now the gold standard for PVP and loot-on-death MMOs.

But why? Those games look poor when in comparison to MO2, Albion has a fixed POV and generic procedural map texture. OSRS is a 20 year old game. Why isn't MO2 more popular? Do you ever ask this question?

Because the other games play fantastic as a solo player and the combat is accessible. Which is extremely important when the game fundamentally revolves around combat. MO2 and specifically the combat just isn't accessible to the average guy with the average job. He can never expect to "win at it" and once he realizes that expectation then he goes to another game that he can win at. It's very simple human psychology.

That being said; MO2, Chiv and Mord all had very strong initial interest in their games which means people want to play in melee slasher combat but they don't want it the way it's been presented thus far. The skill-cap in all of these games is extremely high, so much so that a new player player without thousands of hours of practice would be lucky to damage a truly experienced player even once.

Even with matchmaking Mordhau struggles to survive. Now putting a Mordhau system into a game without matchmaking is truly insane. That is what Mortal has done

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
I have played nearly every open-world PVP MMO that has existed in the last two decades. MO2 has some of the most unfavorable odds for outnumbered fights because of the defensive meta. Things couldn't get any worse as far as balancing outnumbered fights in MO2 then they already are. Truly I don't think i've ever played a game where it was harder to win a 2v6 then in MO2.

The current meta in MO2 makes winning outnumbered fights uncommon and it makes it so an inexperienced player can never beat an experienced player in a 1v1. Either of these things on its own is bad for a game, but both together is extremely bad.
IMO this is all pretty situational. We got wiped by 8 scorn with 15 yesterday and a week ago, me and one footie dunked on 5 mounted empire because we played defensive around houses and my pocket maging was next level. Ultimately, gear disparity with things like Chronite, potion materials access, and Oghmium only being available to people on specific parts of the map is what makes this hell.

Edit* To be clear, the SCORN all outgeared and out potioned us (and were better at PVP) wheras the empire guys were equal gear to me and didnt employ good strategy so they lost. Ive also fought against skilled players like AMALGAM who can easily 1vX. The game should absolutely work on a lot of the core pvp mechanics at the end of the day because the skill barrier to defend yourself easily is a difficult learning curve and most casuals arent able to get that good even with 3k hours.

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
IMO this is all pretty situational. We got wiped by 8 scorn with 15 yesterday and a week ago, me and one footie dunked on 5 mounted empire because we played defensive around houses and my pocket maging was next level. Ultimately, gear disparity with things like Chronite, potion materials access, and Oghmium only being available to people on specific parts of the map is what makes this hell.

Edit* To be clear, the SCORN all outgeared and out potioned us (and were better at PVP) wheras the empire guys were equal gear to me and didnt employ good strategy so they lost. Ive also fought against skilled players like AMALGAM who can easily 1vX. The game should absolutely work on a lot of the core pvp mechanics at the end of the day because the skill barrier to defend yourself easily is a difficult learning curve and most casuals arent able to get that good even with 3k hours.

Barrier of entry/Accessibility. People will think that my words are absolute but there is no absolution in theory. When I say the game plays terrible Solo or terrible outnumbered that is the experience that *most people* will encounter but not all people.

When you think about encounters in Mortal start thinking about how that same encounter might play out in Mortals competitors. How would it play out for an average player, an above-average player and an exceptional player.

If the barrier of entry to make the game flow well as a solo player is 3k hours of dueling and 2k hours of gameplay and good gear and good trinkets and rare consumables then people simply just are going to find another game. And there are people here will defend that but how long will they defend it when the population craters? Will they take their meta to the grave? Like the others did?

The game will flow better for *most players* if the TTK footy v footy 1v1 is lowered by several degrees, unblockable abilities are added and avoidance mechanics are added. As i've said time and time again; you either need to provide the average player with an avenue to win occasionally or avoid the fight usually for a Open-world PVP game to be successful. I am 100% sure this, I have never been so sure of something in my life. It's really that simple, and if you can't abide by this law the game will not have a large population.

I think footy abilities that do AOE damage and scales by how many people are around you are also pretty crucial too. To discourage zerging or at least make zerging someone a risk.

I am 100% certain that Henrik wants a large population. He would not be streaming every week, talking about the game for hours on end if he did not. It would be brief 20minute interactions, and shoddy apathetic behavior. But that is not what I see. He has the passion but his understanding of game theory and how humans choose to interact with games is lacking.

Attachments

• 8b3cc032c22d12564b4528a3742cca8f.jpg
    8b3cc032c22d12564b4528a3742cca8f.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I don't think you're right @fartbox . I mean, the thing you are talking about is very autistic, situational mechanic based (1v1,) which is just a very flawed system in general. Not being able to hit people without doing 4D chess is dumb. That's the problem. And the fact that it takes place in a very small 'box' of two players facing up when MO1 had much more fun movement.

The skill level is always gonna be there. People don't wanna die at all. But I'm sorry, even tho I am prol nerd enough to be able to be decent at 1v1 in MO2 in much less time than people say it would take (thousands of hours eyyy?) it's some beating your head against the wall level 'practice.' We're not dealing with genius concepts here, we are dealing with very cut and dry mechanics that could prol be macro'd if you knew how to employ them right. Anyone who says you couldn't use macro swings lacks mental creativity.

The moment you realize that MO combat is LIMITING due to its defensive nature... LIMITING *NOT* "SKILL BASED"... you will begin to see what could be possible: a high skill, fun to practice, fun to play game. It would still absolutely be brutal for nubs though. That's where you are wrong. Swing hides in a game where both screens are likely not even showing the same picture is just derpland.

I remm watching Dracu troll someone and he just did parry then hit someone because dude's ping was such that it would still look like he was parrying, or the dude was like HOW IS THIS DUDE BLOCKING ME I'M BEHIND HIM?! And you can see clearly... he's not behind him haha. All of those flaws in sync would cause problems with fast paced combat, too, but people would adapt and it would end up better.

But yea if it comes down to memorizing what every swing looks like and then coming up with some creative swing hides, if you really think creating a bag of tricks of those sort of things is 'the epitome of skill' you prol have hard autism. Not saying it wouldn't take time, because it would, but is something you can take pleasure in, that has a limitless skill cap, that people would want to watch on stream... no... not at all. The only people who wanna watch that shit are people who put in their thousands of hours and they are like oh sweet 720 overhead my brother. lol.

When like in NORMAL 'Mortal is good' reality, it could be like WOW you moved to the side and dodged that hit then you hit him back WEW, then you ran between two people swinging at you. I mean, if you sped up the combat to where you didn't have to hold a charge, but just pull it back, you could theoretically go thru two people, dodge both of their attacks, hit one while spinning and hit the other on the end of the spin. THAT would be high skill gameplay and it's perfectly possible. But it's dogshit parryfest. zzz.

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
I don't think you're right @fartbox . I mean, the thing you are talking about is very autistic, situational mechanic based (1v1,) which is just a very flawed system in general. Not being able to hit people without doing 4D chess is dumb. That's the problem. And the fact that it takes place in a very small 'box' of two players facing up when MO1 had much more fun movement.
You don't think im right about what exactly? That the game needs to flow well for a solo player? Bullshit, if you disagree with that then you're wrong. If it doesn't flow well for the largest market demographic its not going to succeed. Mortals competitors have systems in place that basically make it so that every player wins "every so often", even if they're garbage, including solo players. Let me give you examples:

In EVE it's faction warfare, gated fights,abyssals, war decs.
In Albion its corrupted dungeons(1v1 with matchmaking) faction warfare, and hellgates (2v2,5v5)
In OSRS its singles combat and many many different servers

Mortal has none of these. It can't survive in the current market, how do you think the human mind approaches gaming in most cases? How do you think the human mind selects games to play? Since gaming is voluntary and entirely choice. It's dopamine and most people aren't going to get that from mortal as a solo casual player because its so unlikely they will find opportunities to win. Then without them your hardcore players are forced into a tough spot; continue to play in a low population environment or "follow the fish". The game needs shitters to survive just like poker needs fish to survive. But you have to give something back to them, it has to be give and take...mortal is all take.

In MMO games where there are no constrained fights/no matchmaking (hellgates,corrupted,abyssals) they typically lower the TTK to very very low levels with plenty of movement and thats the skillcap. This allows decent gameflow for even average solo players. IE: RUST(but not really a mmo).

My suggestion to Henrik for now is; Unless you have constrained fighting in the pipes very soon I would lower the TTK dramatically and add movement, as well as some form of flat out avoidance mechanic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doom and Gloom

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Mortals competitors have systems in place that basically make it so that every player wins "every so often", even if they're garbage, including solo players. Let me give you examples:

This part. You need to feed people wins? Haha. Unless the game massively changed after I stopped playing, there were ways to get kills. I've never met a 1v1 I couldn't run from, should I have wanted to hue.

I post too many words and my brain is overwhelmed by life atm, but my point is that it's not even about winning or losing, even though obviously winning DOES make people stay (look at all of the people who are in MO atm with their cities, gonna pay sub for years prol.) The combat is BAD. Given the limitations they had to work with (ping, for instance) they chose the absolute wrong route.

There are many roles in MO. Not everyone needs to be a 1v1 fighter. The people who put in time to work on their 1v1 craft should see rewards, same as people who put in time to work at other things. You can always find some helpless person to kill if that's your thing. You're talking about fighting the people who are actually good.

I disagree with your psychological assessment of what would make MO good. It doesn't need 'mass success,' that's what Henrik is right about. Dopamine is surviving in MO1. You put guards everywhere and that rush is lost. Dopamine is getting in and out of a dungeon with loot (altho MO1 style, not group, for me.) Even seeing a lootbag of someone who prol did something like lagged out and got mobbed or rode off a mountain is of interest to the mind.

The mind says (I hope I can make coherent sentences lol) I am immersed, I am in a first person game. Then it says DANGER. It says GAINS. You can see a lootbag with something good in it, but then you are gonna turn open pvp, is it worth it? You look over your shoulder.

I've played since 2013ish and I sided with the PvE guys. Barely even fought in MO1, got plenty of enjoyment. I can tell you there are people existing in MO world that are not good at pvp at all and have no desire to be. Giving them the mechanics to scrape a win once in awhile could be as bad of an idea as long parry windows 'but I can't parry 2 people at once,' 'but zergz' game design.

Think of it like this: there is a huge entitlement in MO community. Their refusal to accept the actual equalizer in skill (zerging lol) and whining about it until they tried to add 'anti zerg mechanics (wrap your brain around how that would even work)' is what the sweaties from MO brought. They should have reverted a lot of stuff immediately. I agree with your idea that the surgical duel sim is dumb, and I think we've even used the same phrasing. Just make it NOT that, though. People will get wins if they play. They will get dunked a lot, but they will soldier on like tru MO vets and then learn. The ones who don't will quit. OH WELL.

TLDR from a combat standpoint it's the wack melee system that someone thought was going to 'raise the skill level' (and if it did anything, it just raised the floor, which like I said is blah) NOT winning and losing, that is turning people off. Like I said before, I talked to many people in beta and they all said the same thing, I like the game, but the fact that parry is the norm when you swing... people quit over that.

PEOPLE CAN STILL BE GOOD AT MO2 WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO PARRY EVERY ATTACK. People who put in thousands of hours are probably hyper resistant to change, though. I didn't because I had a feeling they would wise up and realize how bad it is.

I contend that once they make melee combat GOOD, the game will actually be higher skill than it is now. It needs to be cut throat. If you just stand there and wait for your opponent to make a move, they need to be able to overwhelm you quite easily, making it so you have to move... like in a fighting game. Imagine if you played a fighting game like people play Mortal. The only dopamine rush people are getting from MO2 combat are the people who have done so many hours of duel practice the ting of the parry probably makes them feel like they are winning a gambling machine prize. Or people who are just on that I DUNK U dopamine rush, and those people are willing to go thru 'great lengths' to get that feeling, if you know what I mean.

Also there is the largely ignored crafting and PvE/life sim aspects which are lacking from MO2. Again, not everyone has to be a fighter. People need to be able to contribute to the world. So yea, I def think that the people who quit cuz they can't win are just not built for MO. They don't understand in a game like this, there are many different kinds of winning. Maybe 1v1 isn't your cup of tea, or maybe you wanna put in the thousand hours. But I can tell you I've personally seen plenty of people quit before they even put in serious practice because they looked at the combat and were like heh.

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
I am 100% certain that Henrik wants a large population. He would not be streaming every week, talking about the game for hours on end if he did not. It would be brief 20minute interactions, and shoddy apathetic behavior. But that is not what I see. He has the passion but his understanding of game theory and how humans choose to interact with games is lacking.

This is 100% it, Henrik clearly has passion, has experience in how to RUN a company, how to DEVELOP new tech, but seems to have absolutely NO CLUE about game design basics. It feels like he is either trying to cater to the loud and old voices in his community, who are all hardcores and listening to whom will only make the game die more, OR he is going on a what feels good to him basis. In any case, listening to the average player is not a way to design games, a designer should already know what they are doing and why before the community starts questioning all their decisions. And there is data available in other games as said here, and game design literature.

He is unwilling to learn from other similar games because he wants to be unique, but only thing he succeeds is being uniquely bad, although there are similar failures just ppl don't hear of them so much as they died. It is not bad to copy mechanics design from other games with slight tweaks, he is basically trying to reinvent some old wheel which he personally felt was good for the carriage at the time, and during that time he didn't really understand much of what an enjoyable carriage ride was, idk how much he does now as he has absorbed himself into this mortal mindset for ages.

Reactions: Teknique

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
This part. You need to feed people wins? Haha. Unless the game massively changed after I stopped playing, there were ways to get kills. I've never met a 1v1 I couldn't run from, should I have wanted to hue.
You literally ignore my main argument. It's not about 1v1s , 1v1s are actually pretty rare. It's about the overall game-flow for a solo casual player, the largest market demographic, the one you absolutely need invested into your MMO if it is have a flourishing active population. The most common scenario for a solo average player in this game will be getting ganked by multiple people. The game plays like shit under that circumstance because of the TTK Footy VS Footy & the fact that mages cannot cast while moving. Two things working against a solo player here regardless of what class they choose or their skill level.

Since there are no hellgates, since there are no corrupted dungeons, since there are no singles combat, since there are no abyssal gateways, or local intel with which to screen to fights the only option I see is to add movement and dramatically lower the TTK to RUST or near RUST levels. To allow a solo casual player to at least win a fight with some regularity and them winning "every once and awhile" is mandatory, otherwise they leave. As seen by the current population.

All the other open-world PVP MMO's that have failed have failed under the same conditions that Mortal is failing under. They expected the game to police itself, which will never happen, ever. You need hard coded constrained fights(essentially arenas/singles combat), or you need low TTK, or you need hard avoidance mechanics(or a combination of all). That it, that's your only options for open-world, failure to implement will be met with low population.

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
This is 100% it, Henrik clearly has passion, has experience in how to RUN a company, how to DEVELOP new tech, but seems to have absolutely NO CLUE about game design basics. It feels like he is either trying to cater to the loud and old voices in his community, who are all hardcores and listening to whom will only make the game die more, OR he is going on a what feels good to him basis. In any case, listening to the average player is not a way to design games, a designer should already know what they are doing and why before the community starts questioning all their decisions. And there is data available in other games as said here, and game design literature.

He is unwilling to learn from other similar games because he wants to be unique, but only thing he succeeds is being uniquely bad, although there are similar failures just ppl don't hear of them so much as they died. It is not bad to copy mechanics design from other games with slight tweaks, he is basically trying to reinvent some old wheel which he personally felt was good for the carriage at the time, and during that time he didn't really understand much of what an enjoyable carriage ride was, idk how much he does now as he has absorbed himself into this mortal mindset for ages.

Yea the only thing Henrik should be listening to is the player count. That's the only thing that matters. Metrics, things we can measure. We can't measure feelings. I will personally not be subbing to the game when subs are due. I'm actually tying up all my loose ends in game right now. I've given the game a fair shake but I can't rationalize paying for it when I could just pay for OSRS and get guaranteed "Good fights" with low downtime. I was here to support the game while it was free and add +1 to the census, because I saw potential. But i've already bought 3 accounts, my financial support has reached its maximum for a game that only has potential left. The game is going to have to give me something back before I put another dollar into it. And i'm part of that large(largest) player demographic that enjoys playing solo so thus far the game has given very little.

The game is built from the top-down when we know from history that never works. MMO's have to be built from the bottom up and the most basic unit is a unit of 1.

Last edited:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Yea the only thing Henrik should be listening to is the player count.

This is the only place where Henrik's vision is right. No. That's not it. Dude, they still can't hold 2k people on a server? Even if they could, they do have a limit. The idea isn't to blast the activity up to where MO is a 'casual game.'

You literally ignore my main argument. It's not about 1v1s , 1v1s are actually pretty rare. It's about the overall game-flow for a solo casual player, the largest market demographic,

This is only true because it's gonna be true regardless. I am a solo casual player lul. I did put time into MO1, but that was my own choice. I got big gains (not so much monetary, but enough, cuz I'm not about da cash) in terms of 'feeling of success.' How did it work for me? There were things to do. There as something untouched (soph cooking!) And there were things like lock picking that I didn't even get my hands on. You have those type of things and remove auto-win macros from them, you have a good game. A solo casual player should be able to log in and milk their livestock and water their plants, if that's the playstyle they desire. That's what MO can potentially have. Now it's like casually farm some bandits for prom for your guild and keep your phone on if we get sieged. It's very narrow, the scope of MO gameplay, and my argument, beyond the fact that melee fighting is busted atm, is that they need more content for different types of players. Forget this idea of 'casual solo' players and make things people can do solo and FEEL accomplished, engaging things. Then you can add the population of people who exist just to troll you while you do those things. Win win. It makes it harder, weeds out people / works for economy... but one of the problems with that is MO is already in end-end game with a lot of people. Dudes have already made their life time of s-tier mats. They've already acquired the sweetest random gen loot. That puts a damper on it, but, again, making more 'ways to play,' none less hardcore, would help lighten the burden on the slow ass combat.

I think life sim is the direct competition of MO. I can't speak for Eve (cuz of how mechanically different it is,) but it seems like at least a portion of the population would migrate better to a life sim than they would a game like Albion. It's the world that makes the pvp good in MO, and the world isn't good, either. It's first person, so there's that. It's a good start. It immerses you, but looking in pots and shit is not that engaging. haha. The giant barren world.

As I said, life-wise, I dunno if I will be able to mess w/ MO. SEEMS like a good idea sometimes, but there are a lot of roadblocks. I know I have a different PoV than... apparently everyone... on a lot of things (like INSTANCE TINDREM; I dunno if anyone 'got that,' it's such a great idea for f2p thoo) but my desire is for the game to be good and long lasting. I don't have that much bias except when they screw me so often, haha.

Melee needs to be fixed. True. Game does not to be more casual. It's casual enough. The game needs CASUAL ROLES, that is true, but that will come with having more content. If you log in and casually mine 10 stax, you have still done your group a pretty good service. And yes, in a lot of cases you can casually mine 10 stax haha. Done it many times. I mean, when we say casual we are hopefully talking about 'more average skill,' 'less than normal mmo player but still decent time investment.'

If you want some just log in and get a fight, they need to legit put an arena... haha which could be done in INSTANCE TINDREM BAW.

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
I'm comparing MO2 combat to its successful competition; Survival games, OSRS, Albion and EVE. That demographic is where you will derive your player-base from. Do you think new players sprout from bean stalks? They come from other games silly. They have to come from somewhere right? Unless they were born recently and this is there very first game which is not the case in most situations.

All the players in Gloria, MO2, Chivalry, and Mordhau combined can not match 5% of Albions or OSRS daily player count. Like it or not, those games are now the gold standard for PVP and loot-on-death MMOs.

But why? Those games look poor when in comparison to MO2, Albion has a fixed POV and generic procedural map texture. OSRS is a 20 year old game. Why isn't MO2 more popular? Do you ever ask this question?

Because the other games play fantastic as a solo player and the combat is accessible. Which is extremely important when the game fundamentally revolves around combat. MO2 and specifically the combat just isn't accessible to the average guy with the average job. He can never expect to "win at it" and once he realizes that expectation then he goes to another game that he can win at. It's very simple human psychology.

That being said; MO2, Chiv and Mord all had very strong initial interest in their games which means people want to play in melee slasher combat but they don't want it the way it's been presented thus far. The skill-cap in all of these games is extremely high, so much so that a new player player without thousands of hours of practice would be lucky to damage a truly experienced player even once.

Even with matchmaking Mordhau struggles to survive. Now putting a Mordhau system into a game without matchmaking is truly insane. That is what Mortal has done
So no game with a high skill cap can survive? There can only be dumbed down games for the lowest common denominator? If thats the reason Mordhau died, then why is Chivalry 2 dead as well after lowering the skill cap to appeal to casuals?

I would say MO2 target demographic is closer to survival games than OSRS, Albion or Eve. It might have in common the full loot, progression and grind, but very few mmorpg players like FPS combat in their mmorpgs, even dumbed down like you say. Proof of that is Gloria Victis, which was a reskinned Albion with dumbed down MO combat and just recently shutdown for good.

But even those survival players dont really like the awful grind of MO2. So really this game is a niche of a niche, add to that it doesnt have regional servers that are required for this type of combat and the minimum specs are gonna raise by alot with the new UE5 update, the future looks bleak tbh.

Yea the only thing Henrik should be listening to is the player count. That's the only thing that matters. Metrics, things we can measure. We can't measure feelings. I will personally not be subbing to the game when subs are due. I'm actually tying up all my loose ends in game right now. I've given the game a fair shake but I can't rationalize paying for it when I could just pay for OSRS and get guaranteed "Good fights" with low downtime. I was here to support the game while it was free and add +1 to the census, because I saw potential. But i've already bought 3 accounts, my financial support has reached its maximum for a game that only has potential left. The game is going to have to give me something back before I put another dollar into it. And i'm part of that large(largest) player demographic that enjoys playing solo so thus far the game has given very little.

The game is built from the top-down when we know from history that never works. MMO's have to be built from the bottom up and the most basic unit is a unit of 1.

Here is where I massively disagree, building from the bottom up like you are a marketing executive, trying to make a product for the market might get some nice sales but its the main reason most games are reskinned clones and creativity is dead nowadays. Back then, game studios used to be ran by nerds that wanted to make good games instead of good products and thats how we got awesome creative games instead of cash grabs.

To each his own, but I wouldnt never touch OSRS, Eve or Albion with a 10 foot pole. The "good fights" are just not the type of combat I would enjoy.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Here is where I massively disagree, building from the bottom up like you are a marketing executive, trying to make a product for the market might get some nice sales

Not to mention MO is already what it is. There are subtle adjustments that can be made. The path of least resistance is minor changes and more types of content.

GV was a fun game at first. LiF was a fun game at first, but none of them are like MO. It's like gather plant fibers and sticks and make a sling shot... MO is so much more than that.

I really feel like other than (9th repeat) the fact that combat is doggy, the game is relatively ripe in terms of player count (if they fix certain things and make it so more people can be on the server(s?), people will be there instantly,) growth, etc. It's just 'direction' is misguided and operating on the same false premise that people have to be successful on every level to stay. It's not only untrue, but it's not feasible. Making roles for people as citizens works just as well as making everyone more equal in pvp. The skill in MO is more than just pvp. Literal survival is the key. Even the smart citizens would outperform the other ones who got PK'd all the time.

MO has the best bones to build a world. It wasn't lacking in players, and if they didn't shit the game up from day1, we'd probably be looking at a totally different game right now. The fact they crashed all the servers in the beginning poisons any retrospective analysis of why it failed. In this case, it's best to go with it prol failed because of... EXPLOITING AND CRASHING. Those are two things people don't tolerate.

Some people don't like to get PK'd. Some people don't like the stress of MO, but there are thousands of people who would if the game ran well and didn't crash. It's enough, with sub, to run a successful game.

There is just this panic that happened, albeit too late (lol they should have panicked day 1 when no one could log in) that made people feel the game needed to change. I think honestly they accepted that they are only gonna have 2000~ people and a buggy, laggy server and wanted to invest in the people who would stay, so in that case, what dude is saying makes sense, but in terms of long term health of the game and even making a splash and pulling money, I don't think that's it. The fact that they won't think about more servers when they can't hold all their potential players is LITERAL NUTZ.

That alone proves they don't value mass success above all. If they cared about player count, they would see, what they are doing is making it DROP. It might be receiving rave reviews on discord or w/e but it's not working, and THE GAME IS/WAS FREE.

I just hope @Henrik Nyström is smart enough to realize that the 'two players per acct thing' with combining accts MUST be done before the free month sub is over or it's gonna be curtains. Then actually make the game good. haha. There are a whole bunch of directions they could go and none of them would be ALL BAD, but they are like... ok more guards and special attacks. GG.

(RED FONT)It is such a faulty assessment to try to build a game to make the people who died and quit stay(RED FONT!) To most of us, it means almost nothing to die. That's your core playerbase, thousands of people. You gear up again and go back out and do whatever. There is PLENTY of gear and it's super easy to stack mats. You're not gonna be in ogh or even steel if you're not in a decent group, but you can do fine in decent armor + have steel sometimes, just by playing. I know I did...

Weis

Jun 1, 2022
(RED FONT)It is such a faulty assessment to try to build a game to make the people who died and quit stay(RED FONT!) To most of us, it means almost nothing to die. That's your core playerbase, thousands of people. You gear up again and go back out and do whatever. There is PLENTY of gear and it's super easy to stack mats. You're not gonna be in ogh or even steel if you're not in a decent group, but you can do fine in decent armor + have steel sometimes, just by playing. I know I did...
I cant wait for the murderer tags on names, it will make it so many shitter guilds have to relocate out of town graveyards and to start focusing their gameplay around fighting in and around player made cities. im already seeing some of this as we have many guilds roaming our territory and trying to fight us in or around our village.

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
So no game with a high skill cap can survive? There can only be dumbed down games for the lowest common denominator? If thats the reason Mordhau died, then why is Chivalry 2 dead as well after lowering the skill cap to appeal to casuals?

I would say MO2 target demographic is closer to survival games than OSRS, Albion or Eve. It might have in common the full loot, progression and grind, but very few mmorpg players like FPS combat in their mmorpgs, even dumbed down like you say. Proof of that is Gloria Victis, which was a reskinned Albion with dumbed down MO combat and just recently shutdown for good.

But even those survival players dont really like the awful grind of MO2. So really this game is a niche of a niche, add to that it doesnt have regional servers that are required for this type of combat and the minimum specs are gonna raise by alot with the new UE5 update, the future looks bleak tbh.

Here is where I massively disagree, building from the bottom up like you are a marketing executive, trying to make a product for the market might get some nice sales but its the main reason most games are reskinned clones and creativity is dead nowadays. Back then, game studios used to be ran by nerds that wanted to make good games instead of good products and thats how we got awesome creative games instead of cash grabs.

To each his own, but I wouldnt never touch OSRS, Eve or Albion with a 10 foot pole. The "good fights" are just not the type of combat I would enjoy.

Color me surprised that the guy who only plays FPS and Melee slashers is totally stumped on why no one will play MO2. If you've never played Albion or OSRS or EVE maybe you should refrain from input because you don't really have enough understanding of the market or MO2s competitors to make any accurate conclusions or claims. You're just throwing darts at the wall and you're off by a mile.

There's like 11 people logged into Fabernum right now. The situation is dire. This is before subs come in. If you are not on the bandwaggon for massive change right now you are simply doing it to spite the game in hopes that it will go offline.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
If you've never played Albion or OSRS or EVE maybe you should refrain from input because you don't really have enough understanding of the market or MO2s competitors to make any accurate conclusions or claims. You're just throwing darts at the wall and you're off by a mile.

Come on, everyone is liking your posts, which is great, but EVERYONE HAS TO SEE how ridiculous this statement is.

Are you also going to deny that the changes in MO have trended it towards the kind of game YOU want (since beta, mbe alpha but I wasn't there,) and yet the situation continues to become more DIRE? Why? Why is it that I was hanging out with 'carebears' who were enamored with MO but quit because of big flaws in the game. How many pre-orders did they have? How many people did they have on launch day? Are we going to pretend that MO can even house, let's say... half of the people that had their client open on day1: 5k people?

Your logic is off. You've created a false situation and put the final nail in your coffin when you determined (by what metric?) what MO's comp is and said that only players of those games are qualified to give input. Haha. You know what games I played competitively when I stumbled on MO? Sports games on console. MO was A DIFFERENT GAME. I'd never played a sub MMO before.

You know, when Albion came out, a bunch of MO kids were like yeah MO is TRASH we're going to Albion, then they came back. Why would they come back? There IS a target audience for MO, or was, but there have just been so many mistakes. You think I am hating on your "you gotta be able to play solo" idea, nah, you can play solo. All of the zerg based (not combat, but like needing a huge group to do a dungeon and get good magic, etc) changes were steps back... but how can you go from there to the stuff you said.

I mean, that statement you just made, that I quoted, is basically a white flag in a debate. MO2 has no competitors, but it does have player base... however there are different types of people who it appeals to.

IF MO HAD A DIRECT COMPETITOR, NOBODY WOULD CHOOSE MO. Haha. This game has been thru so much BS that anyone who is still holding out hope is a bit deranged, but the fact that the changes could be made so easily makes me, at least, think that eventually they will have to make them. It's kind of like the alt server thing. They HAD to do it. Eventually, they will HAVE to make the necessary changes.

One should also point out IN NO PLACE have you laid out any sort of a plan to make the game work the way you want it to. My plan is simple: make combat more cut-throat, speed it up, live with the consequences AND (AND) add more noncombat stuff so that people can live their life on MO, which is actually the core of core player base is gonna do. MO is a nolife game in a way that no other game has been a no life game, and I think that's what appeals to people. Not saying that you have to no life it, but at its core it's an immersive experience unlike any other, and if you don't enjoy that part (even tho some of the hardcore people won't admit it haha,) you're not gonna 'get hooked.'

It can be fixed. It's not complicated. Changing the game to appeal to other game's audiences is wrong because MO has already proven it has an audience and those people are existing in other games. They have to BRING THEM BACK. Almost everyone who played MO and didn't quit (mind you, a lot of people did quit) was like yeah it's a quirky game, got something tho... but nah.

They just need to make the game not suck as much ass. Then make the servers more capable. Then, people will play? Simple simple. There's no need to re-invent anything except maybe roll back a lot of the ideas they took from other games hoping to make it more accessible. AHEM.

fartbox

Apr 29, 2023
Come on, everyone is liking your posts, which is great, but EVERYONE HAS TO SEE how ridiculous this statement is.

Are you also going to deny that the changes in MO have trended it towards the kind of game YOU want (since beta, mbe alpha but I wasn't there,) and yet the situation continues to become more DIRE? Why? Why is it that I was hanging out with 'carebears' who were enamored with MO but quit because of big flaws in the game. How many pre-orders did they have? How many people did they have on launch day? Are we going to pretend that MO can even house, let's say... half of the people that had their client open on day1: 5k people?

No im not. The guy is saying he would never play Albion because the "good fights" are not "good"; Albion is objectively good, it is objectively better then MO2. How do i know that? Measurement, metrics, the census, the playercount. He said the "good fights" are not good without even experiencing them...but they are and they are objectively better then MO2 and it can be proven.

It's not my job to figure out all the angles. I don't really care if MO2 can't house more then a few thousand players. It still needs more then it has now, because the world feels dead when theres only 700 players in game. I told you why MO2 doesn't have players and I told you how to get more players into MO2. That's all i'm really concerned with.

We need a bottom-up approach to create an environment where people have the opportunity to win. Mortal 2 needs more winners if its going to succeed itself. The current meta around everything from combat, to resurrection points, to horses, to banking, to dungeons is top-heavy.

We need to figure out how to get the most basic unit of 1 winning. After that we can get more complex, but until we iron out the basics the game will struggle.

Last edited:

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
im not a fan of Albion because there motto was " you are what you wear" did not feel like real character progression. Item based pvp verry small skill gap less then league of legends i would say.