Reworking spiritism for more nuanced ghost scouting

Arakal

Jan 9, 2022
Ghost scouting, as it used to stand, was unbalanced. Making player characters invisible from the ether helped reduce the issues with it, but I feel it could still be improved. Instead of characters being invisible, what if we instead added a spell to conceal the target- whether they be player of mob- from those in the ether? This would allow a cautious and prepared group to hide their pets and mounts from hostile spiritists, and create opportunities to prey on those who don't show appropriate wariness. Another spell could alert the caster if a spirit comes within a certain radius, with an additional alert if it's hostile (crim or wardecced), friendly (guild or ally), or neutral- mirroring how blue priests know your crim status. Both of these spells should have a fairly long duration, comparable to magic reflect.

I know that ghost scouting is a particularly divisive subject, and everyone has different experiences. I would be glad to hear your thoughts on the matter, and if you think my proposed changes would be viable!

Best regards,
Arakal the Bard

Reactions: Serverus