Rethinking Cartography

Weathermore

Apr 5, 2021
I wanted to make this post as a carry over from another thread.

I understand the idea of cartography from MO1, and in the ideal world that a third party MO2 map did not exist, it's a pretty cool idea. The problem is, that the MO2 online map exists, and will continue to exist, through the games launch. This means that cartographers will more or less be wasting their time (other than for the enjoyment factor) because EVERYONE will just have an open tab with the full map & confirmed spawns opened.

This is the system that I think the developers should consider implementing. Please, do not respond with blunt "that will never happen" posts. In order for this game to appeal to broader audiences, there need to be some changes made from the first game. That doesn't mean that the game needs to be made easier. It also doesn't mean that we need GPS locators of our position or instant warps all around the map. All that I am discussing here is what I think the map system should be changed to. I will outline the new system that I think would be a great compromise as follows:

1. Cartography becomes a secondary skill. Under Cartography there will be 3-4 sub skills, with 1 or 2 possibly being primary skills (the trade oriented abilities).

2. Every new player can purchase a "Blank world map" item for a certain amount of gold. This could even be a craftable trade item that would be given or sold to new players. In this way, those that do not want to play with a world map have the option of opting out.

3. The map would begin in one of two ways. The first way would be a completely blank map that only had the major guarded cities. It would not have any markers, other than towns, and it would not have any topography. The second way would be a more topographical 'fog of war' map that would unlock as you explored each area. Again with this way, no markers would be built into map except town names. In way 1, cartography would be leveled by placing pins; in way 2, cartography would be leveled by exploring the world. This would actually lead to a massive amount more exploration from people trying to finish their maps.

4. Player pins of different icon types can be placed around the map to mark spawns, bandit camps, etc. Paths can be drawn to show trade routes. Overall a variety of features to custom tag your own map. In this way, everyone is able to build their own map based on their playstyle, but they are not given an overt amount of data right out of the gate. This maintains the soul of the current map system in the game, while also allowing new players to have an easier barrier to entry.

5. Now what does that mean for cartographers who make a living? There will be a specific type of icon (yellow map icon, as an example) that will be a "scribed map location". So as an example, if you know a Salvia spawn, you can scribe and sell that location for however much you think it would be worth, and this becomes the new cartography. The existing system could also exist for smaller areas, such as creating dungeon maps or town maps. This is just for an over-arching map that is a customizable player map IN GAME as opposed to on a third party browser.

I want to hear your arguments against doing cartography in this way: but in order to have a counter argument, you HAVE to give an in-game solution that is on par or better than the Mortal Online 2 map, which will grow and become more accurate as the game progresses. In my mind, because the only map exists, a proper world map needs to be created inside the game. I am not asking for GPS locations, locations of guild, siege locations, nothing like that. This would be a basic, self-markable world map to help new players navigate and veterans know where their favorite spawns are without using a third party service.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
You want a obscured map that is revealed as you explore? Like Old Ages of Empires? With markers? Never gonna happen.

really. The only thing in game cartography was ever used for was drawing penises on papers that people could see when they looted you.

Priamus

Dec 17, 2020
Sweden
The world in Mo2 is huge compared to MO1 and much more will be added. Cartography will very much be needed, It can be used not only to find your way, but also mark the exact location for specific resources.

Napkin

Apr 3, 2021
Your idea sounded cool, but it adds a new laborious skill on top of another. I'm sure people included I would still rather using mortalonlinemap.info to save our headaches. It's just sad though.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
Thew current mortla online map that my friend rhias made and slyy made the website for it.
This map is not correct in many areas it lacks of detail and some key mesuremnts are wrong. Rhias made a good job, he is actually a programmer and not a cartograph. And im really thankfull that he invested the countless huge amounts of days to make it as good as possible.

But the thing is the map you can catograph ingame will be 100% correct. Wich a third party map never can.

So yeah there is a use for the cartograph in my opinion. But only Star Vault can tell so yeah.
I suggest we all make party hard instead while we waiting for an answer of henrik xD

Weathermore

Apr 5, 2021
Cartography will never be used as long as a third party map exists. No one is going to buy 'scraps of paper' with 'pictures' on it. 99% of the playerbase is going to use Mortal Online map in a browser, and the other 1% will, I guess, 'play the game as intended'. That's all I'm saying. They are better off either designing an actual map, or not wasting time on cartography. A large portion of the playerbase will be immediately turned off that there's no map whatsoever in game (just 'scraps of paper you can buy'). If having more players and keeping those players is the goal, there are going to HAVE to be changes made from the first game. An actual map is one of them.

And again, I'm not saying their should be markers every time you run all over. Although games like Darkfall have this, and it doesn't make the game any less hardcore. I just think there should be an in game equivalent of Mortal Online Map that you mark up yourself.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
They are better off either designing an actual map, or not wasting time on cartography
on this i think you're right.

if they do add the ability to create highly detailed and 100% accurate maps, its only a matter of time until those are pieced together and used as the 3rd party map, after which everyone will simply drop cartography as it will be a 'solved' problem

i dont mind a high level in game map being made available that just shows very generic geographic features and cities with no identification of your position on it. Similar to the haven map but consider a map that size with the whole of myrland on it so only high level geographic features would be possible to display. This way at least total newbies can get around a bit and later when they get serious they can use the 3rd party maps

-barcode

Breannor

May 28, 2020
Cartography could be use in 2 differents way :
- locate treasure. Only cartagopher could read some map looted on monster and then after read, they can sell them to other player with indication and quality depending on their skill level. Treasure could be specific ressource which move into the world (not persistent on 1 location) or chest with great treasure.
- locate player shop : so if you have this skill, you can sell or give a map to an other player , so he can come easily to your shop (house)

Priamus

Dec 17, 2020
Sweden
I can see Cartography work in many different ways, some of the most useful I think would be in territory control. I can see a great need to be able to name locations and areas. Also for a guild to mark resources for their gatherers.