Renting Houses/Appartments in Towns

Tehmudjin

May 28, 2020
Inside your palisade
This would be a really cool feature. To be able to rent a house or appartment to install private workbenches and storage and decorations. Talk about the town feeling more alive! I guess only Tindrem could be big enough for this, as I expect it to have many houses with several appartments.

Since this will be a very scared product there is a big problem.

How to determine who gets to rent what?

Option 1: The first guy to run to the "renting NPC" and rent an appartment for a fixed price.

Doesnt feel fair. All houses will be taken early and never let go of. Probably by people who doesnt use them anyway.

Option 2: The one offering to pay the most.

Sounds fair, but then you need to hold an auction every now and then. In order to prevent troll bids you would have to hand over the gold to an NPC, and at the end of the auction he keeps the winners gold and hands back the others.

Option 3: Some kind of reputation standing with the city.

Killing bandits, clearing dungeons near the town etc give reputation and those with the highest standing can rent the appartment. This should not use items such as bandit heads that can be traded to be used for reputation, but actual in game activity by the player. Prices are fixed.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I think a combination of 2 and 3, depending on the faction you are living with. In the corrupt culture of Tindrem money speaks louder than actions, while the forgotten hills of Moh Ki steel is worth more than gold.

I am more interested in how you take away those houses, how they interact with open PvP, how can they be broken in etc.

They definitely need a form of private vendor that is superior to the trade broker.

Last edited:

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Was just about to say the same Eldrath.

Combine them and mix in lore and it cant go wrong.

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
This would be a really cool feature. To be able to rent a house or appartment to install private workbenches and storage and decorations. Talk about the town feeling more alive! I guess only Tindrem could be big enough for this, as I expect it to have many houses with several appartments.

Option 1: The first guy to run to the "renting NPC" and rent an appartment for a fixed price.

Doesnt feel fair. All houses will be taken early and never let go of. Probably by people who doesnt use them anyway.

Sounds fair, but then you need to hold an auction every now and then. In order to prevent troll bids you would have to hand over the gold to an NPC, and at the end of the auction he keeps the winners gold and hands back the others.

Killing bandits, clearing dungeons near the town etc give reputation and those with the highest standing can rent the appartment. This should not use items such as bandit heads that can be traded to be used for reputation, but actual in game activity by the player. Prices are fixed.
Auction may be good way to buy the permission to rent the house but regular upkeep payments will need to be constantly regulated by demand different in every town.
Players could loose they rent permit if they become criminals.

Reactions: Vakirauta

Zeerey

Nov 28, 2020

This was actually confirmed on stream yesterday, They are planning to allow "Some" of the housing in cities to be rented or bought (I don't recall his exact words) and the player will be able to use the house as either a shop or as a private home. So rejoice it will eventually be implemented!

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Now that New Myrland is 4-6 times larger than the old, I'd imagine Tindrem would be large enough to support many dozens of multi-storey apartments within its walls.

Make it so that there is a process you have to go through to be granted an apartment. Maybe obtaining an official document through a series of tasks that grants the bearer permission to live in Tindrem. The player then has to pay a sum of deposit for the apartment that then has a weekly upkeep cost.

From there on out, the player will have to maintain a visible presence in the city and be of good standing to actually be able to continue to live there. If they are missing for extended periods of time or fall out of favour with the city magistrates then the apartment may be declared abandoned and up for contest by another player.

Reactions: Zbuciorn