Remove Town Gathering

• Thread starter Deleted member 44
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 44

People are just sitting in town gathering rock and wood. There is no incentive for these people to leave town as they are safe and have easy bank access. Please remove this from the game. Even shitworld doesn't allow this.

Reactions: Nudisto and Tzone
D

Deleted member 44

Resources in town are low quality and quantity. Serious resource gatherers will make it their mission to leave town one way or another, come hell or high water.
No. There is no quality system in this game. Only the yield changes. You can AFK gather for hours; periodically going back to your character to bank your rock five feet from your mining location. How do you guys not see this is broken? Let me guess, you're the ones profiting from it.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Yeah people are and will AFK in town as they mine. You dont have to leave town to get what you need if you are AFKing it.

Konrad

Feb 24, 2021
Ireland
lol, right now its actually easier to afk mine outside of town xddd more yield more resources less competition, smaller chances to get ganked or bothered, for real are there people mining in towns ? xD the yield is so bad, I mean if someone is actually doing it I guess they have nothing better to do, but they dont want to leave town in-case there is pvp ? xD i dont know man, I didn't even knew this was still an issue

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Not an issue. Yields are significantly lower, that is the incentive. You're going to have people AFKing in any case because the gathering system is a time gated slow burn - as it should be.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
No. There is no quality system in this game. Only the yield changes. You can AFK gather for hours; periodically going back to your character to bank your rock five feet from your mining location. How do you guys not see this is broken? Let me guess, you're the ones profiting from it.
Actually, there is quality in the sense that the type of crucial material you need is only found outside of town. Calx for instance you have to go down to the streams where pk'ers can easily hide and wait for you there.

Reactions: Amadman

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Now I *know* you don't know @finegamingconnoisseur very well.

And he misspoke about quality of low-quantity resources only because he isn't primarily a towns-man, homebody, or gatherer.

Low-yield resources have traditionally not been much worth the time, nor has the time been without exposure to risk. The more individual avatars-- especially in a one-character-per-account game-- who try to make any kind of substantive (LOL) 'living' at mining or gathering in wotn from those low-yield resources, the harder it becomes. It's more useful for emergencies than it is really obstructive.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
A handful of people may be able to compete over a very limited amount of resources in town. But there will also be an almost unlimited amount of uncontested resources out in the world.

Once housing is introduced, most of these spots will become far better than competing for what is currently accessible in and near towns.

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
Most people in this thread seem unaware that there are plenty of good quality rock and wood inside town, same as the one outside. You can get 10 stacks of granum easy inside Tindrem city walls for example. Morin Khur I don't know if the guards reach the good resources but its technically still inside town (by the rice) and easily worth 20-25 stacks of granum. Meduli you can get 2-3 stacks of saburra in sprinting distance of the grinders, Bakti has a few of these too but less and unlike Meduli the guards don't reach the grinder/crusher (which honestly makes no sense why the town would not protect one of the hotspots for economic activity). I haven't really checked out Vadda or Moh-Ki

Last edited:
Reactions: MomoWang

Malyck

Mar 25, 2021
I don't have an issue with them disabling gathering nodes within guarded areas. I don't think it will change the amount of people in the open world, as most of those town AFKers will now just log off instead of AFK gathering. Like mentioned above, housing and other game features will get people out of towns. Right now the population feels very low which is due to NW launch and the amount of people frustrated by the recent update. A couple of good content patches will pull people back in and get them excited for persistence.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I'd imagine that once the game launches most town gatherers will fan out into the world because the time spent gathering versus the monthly sub they pay would be of poorer value than riding out and gathering large quantities of the same resources.

Sure, they can still choose to sit in town and gather at a slow pace, but they also have to factor in the suicide gank squads who can easily box them in and kill them in front of the guards and let the fastest person in their group loot and parkour away from the guards.

Once thievery arrives, there will likely be even less of an incentive to gather in town. Just the mere sight of master thieves like Lashaniqua or Gray Fox will be enough to make town gatherers quake in their boots.

Reactions: Malyck and Amadman

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Now I *know* you don't know @finegamingconnoisseur very well.

And he misspoke about quality of low-quantity resources only because he isn't primarily a towns-man, homebody, or gatherer.

Low-yield resources have traditionally not been much worth the time, nor has the time been without exposure to risk. The more individual avatars-- especially in a one-character-per-account game-- who try to make any kind of substantive (LOL) 'living' at mining or gathering in wotn from those low-yield resources, the harder it becomes. It's more useful for emergencies than it is really obstructive.
I'll admit that I've only ever gathered in town once, and that was to show what the yield was like in a video.

I do spend time in town every now and then sometimes just to see the kind of creative antics and stunts that players come up (and get away) with, which in hindsight can actually be counter-productive for those who plan on gathering in town.

I still remember the huge sledgehammer at the back of the head incident carried out by one naked player. In town and in front of several guards, to be exact.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I'll admit that I've only ever gathered in town once, and that was to show what the yield was like in a video.

I do spend time in town every now and then sometimes just to see the kind of creative antics and stunts that players come up (and get away) with, which in hindsight can actually be counter-productive for those who plan on gathering in town.

I still remember the huge sledgehammer at the back of the head incident carried out by one naked player. In town and in front of several guards, to be exact.

The question would be if that is still viable after SV makes the flagging system more punishing. Town gathering has always been a part of Mortal and never been a real issue because player provided the necessary risk. A change in flagging system, or just putting lictors everywhere would change that dynamic. This would create a similar effect as TC did with palisade farming and ultimately destroy player interaction on low and healthy level.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
If you really think about it, the cities ,towns, settlements, ect.. is where you would expect to find the majority of people.

At the end of the day we want players in the cities and towns. The more that is there the more populated and alive the world will feel.

Let players compete over a finite amount of resources in town. The more people in town the more competition for those resources. The more competition the less productive it will be to mine in those areas.

As long as there is a good population it is a non issue.

If there is not a good population then that is a problem in itself.

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Most people in this thread seem unaware that there are plenty of good quality rock and wood inside town
We know the quality.

You don't have a lot of credibility for believing that we don't.

We know the quantity both now & then.

You don't have a lot of credibility for believing that there is plenty. The busier and healthier the town is, the less there is of these exact in-town resources to go around.

Meduli you can get 2-3 stacks of saburra in sprinting distance of the grinders, Bakti has a few of these too but less and unlike Meduli the guards don't reach the grinder/crusher (which honestly makes no sense why the town would not protect one of the hotspots for economic activity). I haven't really checked out Vadda or Moh-Ki
Yes, please: do stick to what you know.

Bakti's non-inlcusion of the nearby grinder & crusher (as you report it) makes as much sense as it ever did. Perhaps that area never was meant to be protected by the town guards. It never was.

f you really think about it...
" the cities ,towns, settlements, ect.. is where you would expect to find the majority of people.​

At the end of the day we want players in the cities and towns. The more that is there the more populated and alive the world will feel."​
And, the more folks will be outside of town gathering, chopping wood, mining, and sprinting / riding fast back to the guard zone.

Why do some folks hate it when population centers are population centers?

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
We know the quality.

You don't have a lot of credibility for believing that we don't.

We know the quantity both now & then.

You don't have a lot of credibility for believing that there is plenty. The busier and healthier the town is, the less there is of these exact in-town resources to go around.

Yes, please: do stick to what you know.

Did I hit a nerve or something, you don't have to repeat yourself... and yeah I guess the reason you didn't quote the exact numbers I gave is because I am the one that doesn't know anything about hitting rocks in a guarded zone (so hard) - maybe you want to be more specific about what it is i don't know about getting 10 stacks of granum inside Tindrem guard zone or 20 in Morin Khur or what it even is you are implying?

Bakti's non-inlcusion of the nearby grinder & crusher (as you report it) makes as much sense as it ever did. Perhaps that area never was meant to be protected by the town guards. It never was.

You're right that it never made sense that towns would not protect their economic hubs but at least before it used to be consistent and fully understood devs wanted extractors running the gank risk while extracting (until they implemented portable grinders and crushers in the town square... then none of it made sense). Now plenty of towns have guard protection but some were left out for no specific reason.

Reactions: MomoWang