Regional Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monco

May 28, 2020
As the title says, what are your thoughts on the possibility of having regional servers (or "continents" in the same server/map) for mo2? I strongly believe that most of desync issues in combat can be fixed that way, there's really no other real option with such a precise sensitive action based melee combat system.

• Wow
Reactions: Neftan

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
As the title says, what are your thoughts on the possibility of having regional servers (or "continents" in the same server/map) for mo2? I strongly believe that most of desync issues in combat can be fixed that way, there's really no other real option with such a precise sensitive action based melee combat system.
Yes I would love to divide the already tiny population

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
So you would have people leave the game en masse because of how unplayable a world server is? Leaving MO2 another barren wasteland devoid of players?
Why yes I would love to have people leave the game en masse because there's on average 1 player for every 30 minutes of travel time from regional servers or separated continents

Monco

May 28, 2020
Although we all know these kind of games are niche, I'm sure once the game launches it will have enough population to fill more then 1 server. You can't base your opinion on the current population of mo, that's just unrealistic, the game is old and done for that's why they are working on mo2.
But it's also true that these kind of games tend to all follow the same pattern and lose population after a while, I still think that wouldn't be an issue since at that point there's always the possibility of a wipe + merge which not only will consolidate the population but it will also bring a new wave of "freshness" making it very appealing to come back for those who left, or to start for those who wanted to play but couldn't be asked to start when others already have a massive progress.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
It would be good and bad.

Assuming the best, that we have enough population to wholly fill several 'continents', I love the idea of travelling to a new one and experiencing not only a different game world, but having the majority of the player pop there also speak a different language and have different politics. It would be terrifying, exciting, and likely beautiful as well.

Assuming the worst, our pop does not explode and either:
A) the few of us divide and go to where our ping is best, further killing the game
B) to keep the game alive, we ignore the different areas and play in the same area regardless of ping, making the other areas pointless

And no matter which outcome it were closest to, you still have to consider - would you be happy with the cultural divides? Having the ping continent division will make your particular area less interesting and diverse.

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
Although we all know these kind of games are niche, I'm sure once the game launches it will have enough population to fill more then 1 server. You can't base your opinion on the current population of mo, that's just unrealistic, the game is old and done for that's why they are working on mo2.
But it's also true that these kind of games tend to all follow the same pattern and lose population after a while, I still think that wouldn't be an issue since at that point there's always the possibility of a wipe + merge which not only will consolidate the population but it will also bring a new wave of "freshness" making it very appealing to come back for those who left, or to start for those who wanted to play but couldn't be asked to start when others already have a massive progress.
Yes Henrik was very sure when MO1 had its steam release population boomed and could easily fill a server. But then everyone got griefed away and MO population dropped to a record low. Releasing multiple servers would likely result in a huge population initially, then all the previous MO1 players would grief all the new players out leaving a very dead game similar to post MO1 steam release. Either you get one server or no server, trust me I watch Rick and Morty I know what I'm talking about

Helix

May 28, 2020
Yes I would love to divide the already tiny population

We don't know how big the population will be so this is a bit presumptuousness don't you think? If there is a large enough playerbase I totally support having an EU and NA server. Forcing NA to play on an EU server at a significant ping disadvantage in a game with real time directional combat is recipe for guaranteed failure. I've seen this worse case scenario play out in LiF when they shut down the NA server and pushed everyone on to a server located in germany,

Playing at ~150 ping from across the pond isn't only ping isn't only "un fun", it's also simply not viable in a pvp game like this when you're trying to be competitive.

Unless SV have some kind of hidden army of backend/frontend engineers or the secret sauce I don't see how there can be any argument against having regional servers.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
World server better than any other shit solution. every dedicated or server splitet game is shit. One World makes Mortal Unique and it should stay like this. The new server is in london so shut up. its nearly same speed over the pond like from london to dumpfukistan(usa) as from london to far more developted countrys in the topics of economics,Social community, like Bulgaria, or Romania.

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
Though other continents are far off, I think they did mention there was a possibility of them being hosted in different parts of the world.

I have always like this idea. At least players would have an option to be based in a location that is better for them.

It also fits logically and historically that people native to an environment perform better in that environment than someone alien to it.

Reactions: Teknique

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
We don't know how big the population will be so this is a bit presumptuousness don't you think? If there is a large enough playerbase I totally support having an EU and NA server. Forcing NA to play on an EU server at a significant ping disadvantage in a game with real time directional combat is recipe for guaranteed failure. I've seen this worse case scenario play out in LiF when they shut down the NA server and pushed everyone on to a server located in germany,

Playing at ~150 ping from across the pond isn't only ping isn't only "un fun", it's also simply not viable in a pvp game like this when you're trying to be competitive.

Unless SV have some kind of hidden army of backend/frontend engineers or the secret sauce I don't see how there can be any argument against having regional servers.
I feel like a big ole' boomer talking down to these post steam milennials smh

Reactions: Speznat

Helix

May 28, 2020
World server better than any other shit solution. every dedicated or server splitet game is shit. One World makes Mortal Unique and it should stay like this. The new server is in london so shut up. its nearly same speed over the pond like from london to dumpfukistan(usa) as from london to far more developted countrys in the topics of economics,Social community, like Bulgaria, or Romania.

How successful do you want MO2 to be, because almost no one is going to stick around if they know they're at a latency disadvantage. We're not talking about 1 or 2 people here, we're talking potentially thousands of customers getting a diminished experience. "One big world" is a nice idea if the technology supports it, and everyone can get the same game playing experience, but the reality of the fact is it doesn't. That is unless we have two game worlds for 2 regions (NA/EU).

The gaming climate is ripe for MO2 to succeed, but it's also really easy to fuck it up as well.

Reactions: Arthys

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Nononono, regional server can and hopefully will only come when new continents arrive and that should only be when Myrland is getting crowded. NOT like Sarducaa. Learn from mistakes dont keep doing them.

Reactions: Amadman

Piet

May 28, 2020
The issue with regional servers is the different regions have different resources.

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
Nononono, regional server can and hopefully will only come when new continents arrive and that should only be when Myrland is getting crowded. NOT like Sarducaa. Learn from mistakes dont keep doing them.
Fuck it, just give these Steam kids what they want. Make 1000 island-continent servers spread throughout the world so everyone can have their glorious <20 ping while playing Single Player Online because they'll find absolutely no one since the population is spread so thin

• Haha
Reactions: Xunila

Helix

May 28, 2020
Fuck it, just give these Steam kids what they want. Make 1000 island-continent servers spread throughout the world so everyone can have their glorious <20 ping while playing Single Player Online because they'll find absolutely no one since the population is spread so thin

If the game played great at 150 ping and there was no clear advantage I would say fuck it, however that's not the case. In fact they recently changed it so low ping has the advantage instead of high ping (which was a good sensible change), however this increases the need to have regional servers. Having a huge chunk of your player base playing on one server located in london from 4,255 miles away is going to have guaranteed performance issues. They only have one shot to get this right, if one part of your player base is suffering you're going to lose them. It's already happened in Last Oasis (and they have regional servers, just shitty ones). Most of the One World-One server games have regional servers as well (one for eu, and one for na).

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
Sarducaa was fine. :p The problem was more that both continents were vastly different in what they had to offer, not just thematically but feature and actually development wise. Myrland was basically just a prototype continent and at the time Sarducaa came out Myrland just had nothing to offer or explore for anyone.

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth

How can someone be the best in the world if they arent truely fighting the entire world?

Just gotta come up with a to make it better ping. I'm sticking with my "Elon server" idea.

Throw the server in space and use Elon's way to share interent access to connect. He already has like 1200 satellites up there and he seems like they are near completion of the project.

Space serves for amazing latency. ☆.☆
I'll push for this idea more once I see it running. It'll be next gen connection, as fast as 5g world wide, bouncing from your computer to space, to main server, with nearly no other interruption. The future of connection speed is coming! ?

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
How can someone be the best in the world if they arent truely fighting the entire world?
USA USA USA!

Just gotta come up with a to make it better ping. I'm sticking with my "Elon server" idea.

Throw the server in space and use Elon's way to share interent access to connect. He already has like 1200 satellites up there and he seems like they are near completion of the project.

Space serves for amazing latency. ☆.☆
I'll push for this idea more once I see it running. It'll be next gen connection, as fast as 5g world wide, bouncing from your computer to space, to main server, with nearly no other interruption. The future of connection speed is coming! ?
Legends say 5G signals travel FASTER than the speed of light. How else would signals propagate 350 miles into space, another 7000 miles circumferencially around the world, then another 350 miles back down to earth and still be faster than a landline connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.