Random feedback

ValhallaRider

May 28, 2021
Hello to the MO community and devs (hope they read it)

I'm well used to "open world hardcore pvp games", spent over 11 years in Eve online, more than 5 years in Dayz/7daystodie, and about 3 years in Conan exiles.

I'm a total newbie in MO but anyway after roughly 80 hours, i'm well aware of attribute/skill mechanics, rerolled 7-8 times to try different builds ect, had some ppl crafting me some wepons/gear ect so i cant test.
Here are my observations/feedback:

1. Ppl using heavy armor shouldnt be able to stick on someone naked or wearing light/medium armor. You want to tank, you have to pay the cost of lower speed, you want to be fast? Ok but you will take heavy hits cause you will wear a light/medium armor.

2. Make heavy weapons hit harder but slower but at a higher stamina cost, light weapons hit faster cause less damage and use less stam. I know this is already a thing, its just not enough noticable.

3. Dexterity, from my observations, there is pretty much no difference in speed with 80, 100, 110 or 120. Make a revelent stat or delete it maybe?

4. Why the fuck do i need to chain suicide because i suddely became overweight instead of stout, losing stats i had maxed...this is purely stupid i'm sorry to tell you. If i eat i gain some weight, if i dont eat i lose weight. Nuff said.

That's all for now, still testing...

Reactions: Neftan

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind

I'm well used to "open world hardcore pvp games", spent over 11 years in Eve online, more than 5 years in Dayz/7daystodie, and about 3 years in Conan exiles.

I'm a total newbie in MO but anyway after roughly 80 hours, i'm well aware of attribute/skill mechanics, rerolled 7-8 times to try different builds ect, had some ppl crafting me some wepons/gear ect so i cant test.

1. Ppl using heavy armor shouldnt be able to stick on someone naked or wearing light/medium armor. You want to tank, you have to pay the cost of lower speed, you want to be fast? Ok but you will take heavy hits cause you will wear a light/medium armor.

2. Make heavy weapons hit harder but slower but at a higher stamina cost, light weapons hit faster cause less damage and use less stam. I know this is already a thing, its just not enough noticable.

3. Dexterity, from my observations, there is pretty much no difference in speed with 80, 100, 110 or 120. Make a revelent stat or delete it maybe?

4. Why the fuck do i need to chain suicide because i suddely became overweight instead of stout, losing stats i had maxed...this is purely stupid i'm sorry to tell you. If i eat i gain some weight, if i dont eat i lose weight. Nuff said.

That's all for now, still testing...
Thanks for posting!

I agree that:
  1. Heavy Armor needs to be more impactful. More speed loss for the high damage reduction, makes it a choice if you want to be fast and reactive, or slower and more durable.

2. Dexterity should have more capacity and influence our characters in ways other than speed.

However, the food system is not actually properly implemented. I think your feedback is totally valid and understandable, but keep in mind that the system will change drastically in the future.

Reactions: ValhallaRider

ValhallaRider

May 28, 2021
Thanks for posting!

I agree that:
  1. Heavy Armor needs to be more impactful. More speed loss for the high damage reduction, makes it a choice if you want to be fast and reactive, or slower and more durable.

2. Dexterity should have more capacity and influence our characters in ways other than speed.

However, the food system is not actually properly implemented. I think your feedback is totally valid and understandable, but keep in mind that the system will change drastically in the future.

The game has a great potential for those like us that look for a sandbox pvp game, i and my mates would be disapointed if it fails cause of bad gameplay mechanics like the ones i pointed
I want it to succeed, that' why i give my2cent.

But point 1 and 2 worry me to a high degree

Last edited:

ValhallaRider

May 28, 2021
I think weightloss food or drink should be added. Maybe a poison or something.
Well to be honest i'm a newbie and i admit i dont know all theses mechanics in depth. However it should be comon sense that the more you eat in a time frame, the more you become overweight then fat. Stop eating and you should naturally lose some weight over time without having to press a suicide button...

Last edited:
Reactions: Fakejade

Tzone

May 16, 2021
I dont know much about the hunger system but the going over weight for eating thing is annoying. I dont know how much Im allowed to eat in this game. I imagined that it was just untill the hunger bar was empty but that made me fat. Now Im killing my self in game to not be fat again. If I knew how much a serving size was that I was allowed to eat per day, I would maybe be happy. Now I just drink water and refuse to eat anything.

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021

All that sounds good in theory but its not that easy to implement.

Point 1. Heavy armour does reduce stamina regeneration. If you make them slower as well then nobody will want to wear them. Heavy armours are expensive to make (not now, but they will be). MO1 already showed how speed is pretty much the best adavtange as it allows you to secure kills or just run away and survive. Nobody will want to wear expensive armour that slows you down and reduces stam regen. This would also render most of the metal gathering, processing, crafting almost useless.

point 2.
With the overall combat already slowed way down, and people parrying for days, making heavy weapons even slower will pretty much make them useless. The slower the weapon, the easier it is to parry. When your opponent parries he gets an even faster counter. If he already has a faster weapon you are simply giving him even faster damage(which in turn is harder for you to block). Its a no brainer.

point 3. There is a dif in dex, but very small after 80. Problem again is that if its buffed we are back to MO1 where speed was king. This made only the fastest races viable for pvp. Everything else was unplayable because they couldnt chase anyone for the kill, and couldnt run away to survive. Only option is to remove it but that would created a whole other set of issues with pvp balance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valoran

Valoran

May 28, 2020
As was already stated by others,

1. Adding a more significant movement speed penalty to heavy armor (This already exists for very heavy armor, or if you don't have the armor training skills) would make them useless as no one would ever use them.

Heavier armors already reduce your stamina regeneration rate, which is already a very significant downside to them.

2. There actually is quite a significant different in weapon speed already as you increase in weight.

Any larger and slower weapons will be useless outside of group fights, or faster weapons will cause issues with syncing attacks across clients.

3. You do indeed lose weight from exercising or fighting and not eating nourishing foods, however it happens rather slowly.

As is you can get your weight to where you want it and adjust your diet for maintenance, that way you don't have to constantly monitor your weight due to losing and gaining weight so quickly.

A decent solution here would be to sufficiently educate new players on how the reserve and weight system works early on, so they know to stop eating fatty foods once they're at the top of their desired weight class. Weight loss food / potions should also come in the future via alchemy.

ValhallaRider

May 28, 2021
Thanks for reply to all above.

Surely SV went the easy way by not giving heavy armors/heavy weapons some major drawbacks to balance the game.
Its very noticable cause everywhere i go,all i see are ppl running same builds, same weapon and same gear.
Because actually wearing a light/medium armor and a 1h weapon puts you in severe disavantage.
And no,dont tell me its because "not all the weapons/gear are in game yet", its simply because its superior to go heavy gear/wepon over anything lighter cause of pretty much no penality.
In every games i've played (listed in 1st post) there are some heavy drawbacks in speed/weight/maneouvrability by running heavy gear.
You dont want a game with everyone wearing the exact same gear to be effective, do you? I don't.

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021

1. If you cripple people's movement when using heavy armor, people will simply not use it. Mobility > damage reduction at that point.
There is already a penalty for not having armor training or going over a certain armor weight.

2. This is already a thing and very noticeable.

3. Yes, hoping there is more of a bonus for having 120 dex rather than 80-100, besides marginally more weakspots for some weapons.

4. No thanks. No desire to constantly manage my weight.

ValhallaRider

May 28, 2021
1. If you cripple people's movement when using heavy armor, people will simply not use it. Mobility > damage reduction at that point.
There is already a penalty for not having armor training or going over a certain armor weight.

2. This is already a thing and very noticeable.

3. Yes, hoping there is more of a bonus for having 120 dex rather than 80-100, besides marginally more weakspots for some weapons.

4. No thanks. No desire to constantly manage my weight.

1. Its a thing in many many games like MO as the more mass/weight you have the less speedy/manouvrable or staminavore you are. Eve online (ship mass/manouvrability), Conan exiles, Mordhau, Dayz and the list goes on and on.
It keeps things balanced, and allow different playstyles/strategies on how to fight different opponents depending on what gear/weapon they have. There is a reason everyone one wears the same gear/weapon atm...

2. Yes, i said i know this is already a thing and no, this is not enough noticable, to the point i can parry someone for days before runing out of stam with a not even high end weapon, just lol.
Try to parry in Mordha while wearing heavy armor/weapon, you'll see what it means. And yet ppl still use heavy gear, some mediums, some lights. The goal is to have different playstyle, wich i'm sure is benefic in a sandbox.

I would be ok if movement speed stays as it is right now, but at least make stamina drain really impactful when using heavy armor and/or heavy weapon. Also makes feel more realistic.

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
1. Its a thing in many many games like MO as the more mass/weight you have the less speedy/manouvrable or staminavore you are. Eve online (ship mass/manouvrability), Conan exiles, Mordhau, Dayz and the list goes on and on.
It keeps things balanced, and allow different playstyles/strategies on how to fight different opponents depending on what gear/weapon they have. There is a reason everyone one wears the same gear/weapon atm...

2. Yes, i said i know this is already a thing and no, this is not enough noticable, to the point i can parry someone for days before runing out of stam with a not even high end weapon, just lol.
Try to parry in Mordha while wearing heavy armor/weapon, you'll see what it means. And yet ppl still use heavy gear, some mediums, some lights. The goal is to have different playstyle, wich i'm sure is benefic in a sandbox.

I would be ok if movement speed stays as it is right now, but at least make stamina drain really impactful when using heavy armor and/or heavy weapon. Also makes feel more realistic.

1. This is MO, not other games.

2. No, it's very noticeable.

You compared MO to Mordhau twice, perhaps that is the game you love and should be playing. This isn't "Mordhau but with more people".

ValhallaRider

May 28, 2021
1. This is MO, not other games.

2. No, it's very noticeable.

You compared MO to Mordhau twice, perhaps that is the game you love and should be playing. This isn't "Mordhau but with more people".

I really like your constructive critics. Irony ofc.

Well yeah i agree with you on your last point, i rather enjoy playing balanced games where everyone have a chance to play the way they want and still be viable pvp wise.
Maybe MO is not for me and my mates as i dont see the balance at all atm.

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021
Maybe MO is not for me and my mates as i dont see the balance at all atm.

We are in agreement then. Good luck in Mordhau.
I'll stay here in MO2 which isn't balanced and never will be.

Glad we sorted out this misconception you had about what MO2 is or is going to be.

Awamory

Mar 7, 2021
My point there are different play styles and different purposes for any type of playstyle.

If you would like to be a tank / Knight with heavy armor, is it ok, but yes, you should be slower than people in light / medium armor or you can use mount.
Why people won't use heavy armor in this case? With heavy armor you can be a good defender for caravans / cities during PVP and a good tank for PVE.
You can chase someone using horse. You can be a part of slow, but strong iron fist during attack.

But yes, mages / archers can kill slow players with kiting. In this case you need to have allies (mages and fighters in light / medium armor) as well. Or just use fast horse.

It is reasonable.

ValhallaRider

May 28, 2021
We are in agreement then. Good luck in Mordhau.
I'll stay here in MO2 which isn't balanced and never will be.

Glad we sorted out this misconception you had about what MO2 is or is going to be.

There is no need to be that guy...
I'm giving my feedback/observations, i'm being constructive and respectful, be the same or just move on and quit acting like an asshole.

Said "maybe", wich means i'm not sure yet, as the game is not yet finished. You seem to not understand the shade or else trolling on purpose.

I've compared Mordhau to MO because, if you're not aware, there are a bunch of same mechanics. Doesnt mean i play Mordhau or a regular basis as its not my cuf of tea on the long run but somewhat fun to play here and there.

Still i'm open for constructive critics else you can troll somewhere else.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
There is no need to be that guy...
I'm giving my feedback/observations, i'm being constructive and respectful, be the same or just move on and quit acting like an asshole.

Said "maybe", wich means i'm not sure yet, as the game is not yet finished. You seem to not understand the shade or else trolling on purpose.

I've compared Mordhau to MO because, if you're not aware, there are a bunch of same mechanics. Doesnt mean i play Mordhau or a regular basis as its not my cuf of tea on the long run but somewhat fun to play here and there.

Still i'm open for constructive critics else you can troll somewhere else.
Don't give it life - people like Kebek either lack the capacity to speak in any constructive manner, or actively choose not to. Replying like you are here just enables the situation and gives them more to reply to.

Kebek

Jan 11, 2021

No, you're complaining about this not being like Mordhau enough. There is a game out there for you already. No reason to try and ruin ours.
This isn't Mordhau and never will be. There is much more to this game than just equal numbered groups dishing it out on foot. There is mounted combat, pets, magic, territory control...

There is no need for arcade "balance" like you have in simple games like Mordhau. Like I said, if you like arcade games, this isn't your thing. That's me sincerely warning you, not "being that guy" so some gratitude is in order rather than all this lip.

Worst thing is that you are complaining about things that are already in-game: heavy armor penalty, heavy weapons being slower...

So just looking for something to complain about even when they are already in-game. So who is the troll here?

Don't give it life - people like Kebek either lack the capacity to speak in any constructive manner, or actively choose not to. Replying like you are here just enables the situation and gives them more to reply to.

That's rich coming from a guy who holds grudges cross-thread cause I didn't like his idea about simplistic guild tags.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Neftan

Evelyn

Jan 6, 2021
Definitely do not make heavy armor even worse. Nobody is going around wearing full steel armor except MAYBE Oghmir if even because the stam penalty is so punishing.

Reactions: Valoran