QOL / Make game feel more like a regular MMORPG

Maxisan

May 25, 2021
1) Daily tasks:

Daily tasks can be done to get 2 types of rewards, reputation or gold from the npc town you accept the task from.

Daily tasks can be simple, like fish X amount of fish, kill Y amount of bandits, gather Z amount of wood/stone.

You can also have daily crafting tasks with similar rewards and objectives.

2) Quests

Yep, quests. We don't need a storyline quest but having those random help NPC quest middle of nowhere fight off bandits / sators / risars would be nice.

• Angry
Reactions: Calcal

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
I disagree, questing in mortal was allways ment to be player driven.
Id hate to see them make retarded daily questing just to fit a garbage mainstream concept.

This game does not need to simulate other mmorpgs, this game has to continue with It's concept, making it deeper and more challenging.

TheHeretic

Jun 1, 2020
MK\Bakti\JC
I disagree, questing in mortal was allways ment to be player driven.
Id hate to see them make retarded daily questing just to fit a garbage mainstream concept.

This game does not need to simulate other mmorpgs, this game has to continue with It's concept, making it deeper and more challenging.
Fully agreed. All time i say to new people - dont try to bring something stupid from all other MMO

Skydancer

May 28, 2020
  1. Daily quests are perhaps the single biggest non-microtransaction cancer in MMO gaming. It usually puts you in a position where you all but have to do these dailies are the exclusion of all other game activity because that's the only realistic way progress in the game. That puts every other activity in the game in the back seat. Sometimes a games dailies can take you hours of your day meaning you never do anything else in the game except dailies.

Want to go explore a dungeon? Actually, those dailies are a better use of your time experience and resource wise so if you do explore that dungeon you will be gimping yourself. Not to say they can't be done more tactfully but they usually aren't. Booting up OSRS recently, perhaps the best part about that is there are no dailies and you just do whatever you want to do in your game session.

2. Quests are interesting. It's have to be done in a more organic way that would actually make the NPCs feel like a part of the world which is easier said than done. The few things I could think of are giving towns and people needs like finite resources that need to be replenished, have shopkeepers or town officials call out for adventurers to restock certain resources in low reserve, or travel to other towns. All this however means NPCs need to be wildly complex and simulated which would just be far, far to advanced a system to work on just so they would pop out quests. Plus it's probably not hard to find some group of npcs overpowering a person/group that you could help anyway.

That's a no from me for npc driven quests I guess. I'd be more on board for pseudo quests like hidden lore clues that could be followed with no actual quest to accept but rather clues to be followed or something. carved mural with clues to magic spells or something, treasure maps or riddles that lead to caches that could be found on humanoids or in dungeon chests. These would be a little more work than just finding loot on a corpse or in a dungeon and send people out to atypical areas of the map for potential conflicts!

Maxisan

May 25, 2021
Fully agreed. All time i say to new people - dont try to bring something stupid from all other MMO

been playing since MO1, if you want this game to be more than 100 players like it was in MO1, you will need to bring those "stupid things" from all other successful mmos that have hundreds of thousands of active players sadly.

Henrik wants this to be a 10k player game, he will have to make these changes that attract the folks who play those "Stupid mmos"

ElPerro

Jun 9, 2020
been playing since MO1, if you want this game to be more than 100 players like it was in MO1, you will need to bring those "stupid things" from all other successful mmos that have hundreds of thousands of active players sadly.

Henrik wants this to be a 10k player game, he will have to make these changes that attract the folks who play those "Stupid mmos"
Yeah lets make the game even more aids. Servers can barely handle 1.5k players, so no need for 10k.

From the bottom of my heart, fuck off OP, go play WoW

Doom and Gloom

Mar 12, 2022
There are many stupid ideas on this forum, and I hate to attack people personally, but not realizing what compulsion loops like daily quest systems have done to the game industry is just... Yikes. This game sadly actually really is not for people like you, not trying to be offensive here but there are MILLIONS of MMOs etc. where you can mindlessly grind daily quests and kill X amount of mobs, and yes, the market for those is bigger, and they will make a lot more money than this game EVER will in one year probably. But their gameplay experience is.. subpar to say the least. You can do it (compulsion loops) better or you can do it worse, neither of those is great for the players.

I can understand daily quests more in games where there is only one action to do, and the quests are always to do with that action, e.g., match-based games like card games where you literally will only play match after match, so win daily 10 games is okay for that.

Now for games which strive to have an explorable world, doing the same thing every day over and over again is damn bs, and encouraging that behaviour only serves to addict the players to your game, not because they really enjoy the game experience, but because they are hooked on dopamine from their daily/weekly/whenever rewards and the fear of missing out on them. (Really read especially Diablo Immoral's systems, yikes for all of these).

Now, obviously killing bandits is a part of this game, and sadly there isn't much else to do yet as a solo when you have explored the world alrdy, as they haven't rly added anything except empty space all around, but hoping this will eventually change. Whereas quests come, the current task system we have is also really boring, but it rewards you so badly that it really doesn't make you feel like wanting to do them, thus you only do them if you would travel to another city anyways, but I do see the potential in quests in general, just not the "collect X", "kill X" rinse and repeat garbage that literally all MMOs already contain.

For quests, hidden ones which are only found by exploration, which ideally vanish after collecting and either transform, remain hidden for a while, change acquiring location or similar to not become the thing to do. Quests need to feel special, optional, interesting by design, I personally love exploration, so quests which for example give you vague clues to find something would be perfect, but they could also be to do with finding out something interesting lorewise. There has been talk about hidden magic schools, will see if we ever get any, but I would love to be able to acquire unique spells or weapons via hidden quests (or just exploration in general).

I think the fact that there is so little a solo can acquire in this game without the broker leads the solos only option to be grinding the easy mobs which is boring af. Hidden quests would alleviate this, but definitely they need to be well thought out. Some "quests" could even permanently change the game world a little.

And technically a sandbox game means that as there are no quests, the players will make up the quests for themselves, like I wanna get this spell or get this weapon. Sadly the variation for what a player can do atm is very limited still, and the best way to get anything solo is just to do the mindless grind and buy what you need from other players. That's not too fun either, so in a way can see why some people would think that this mindless grind could just be transferred to mindless quests for NPCs.

But yeah, this game will never appeal to most gamers, not just because it is niche, but also because its design needs a LOT of work and the game needs additions. And even then, the idea is that you will not keep the fruits of your grind always, and that sucks, no one likes to lose progress. This leads to progress becoming ignored, meaning using just shitty equipment so can't lose anything on death, or never taking any risks, both are boring as hell options. Never taking any risks involves only moving around in large groups to avoid getting picked off easily by other large groups, or staying in town if alone.

But also not having compulsion loops definitely is a reason why many ppl don't play this for a long time, even if everything worked perfectly. The game doesn't tell you what to do, it actually does a VERY bad job at telling what you even can do or how, how even some stats work currently, and just the first point is enough to make most ppl feel like there is NOTHING you can do, even though there actually is something, just not that much yet.

TheHeretic

Jun 1, 2020
MK\Bakti\JC

MO1 is being enough with population. Problem in map again, cuz half-empy Sardudu broke all PvP fun

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
IMO the problem is AGAIN they added shit, and are adding shit like spirtism, scrolls, spell books, flux, trinkets... all these things where people just farm farm farm. That wasn't really what MO1 was about for its best years. If anything it IS too MMO like, log in... farm for hours, log off. Look at your cool stuff later.

Speaking of inflation, if they don't have more valuable shit to add later on, they just added all the GUD stuff (trinkz) at first, so how will they be able to add new and interesting content? Maybe like belly button rings, penis rings :O

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I'd much rather do a task or quest for a real player than an npc. That's why we have the marketplace section here on the forums and the buy order system on the trade broker.

Daily tasks and quests for the theme park mmorpgs. Player-driven supply and demand economies for the sandboxes.

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
1) Daily tasks:

Daily tasks can be done to get 2 types of rewards, reputation or gold from the npc town you accept the task from.

Daily tasks can be simple, like fish X amount of fish, kill Y amount of bandits, gather Z amount of wood/stone.

You can also have daily crafting tasks with similar rewards and objectives.

2) Quests

Yep, quests. We don't need a storyline quest but having those random help NPC quest middle of nowhere fight off bandits / sators / risars would be nice.

Yeah that would be a NO for me dawg.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Rahz

Jul 19, 2022
I think you can actually get quests from other players and SV is trying to make it a bit easier to get those... "pseudo quests" like bounty hunting (" Help me adventurer, some criminal is killing me!" ) or farming quests (buy orders...it's pretty much the same, isn't it?) . However I do kinda like the treasure-map idea. Just some crudely painted sketch on a piece of paper you get from a bandit would probably encourage exploration and get people to move away from the cities. You could of course just find a random treasure chest out in the world but the chance of that happening would be really slim, given the size of the map.

TheHeretic

Jun 1, 2020
MK\Bakti\JC
That was not regular MMO. All core players love it cuz you can do everething ( I got bug in Tindrem garden and live there in like a 2-3 weeks).
Yes. How much of people say - game need to have core of basic game, We are dont need shitty kill contracts\magic scools\PvE contents before then we got some reason to play. That game about fight, destructions, butthurts and MOREMOREFIGHTS
Other content is cool, but game is being enought with simply oldsfight system for years.
Just add core\main content first, then add all other