PvE Server

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I've come to realize that a PvE server is this games catch 22, its double edged sword if you will. If they add a PvE server, the griefers and PKers will leave and if they don't add a PvE server, the people who prefer to craft and do PvE things will leave(I think most of them already have). Starvault really just can't win here. Which is, sadly why the game will probably never be popular.

The ones that are willing to play the game for what it is will stay regardless if they are pvp or pve players.

Those that can not accept it for what it is was never going to stay anyway. That goes for both pvp and pve players as well.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
I've come to realize that a PvE server is this games catch 22, its double edged sword if you will. If they add a PvE server, the griefers and PKers will leave and if they don't add a PvE server, the people who prefer to craft and do PvE things will leave(I think most of them already have). Starvault really just can't win here. Which is, sadly why the game will probably never be popular.

Take the pvp out of the game and pve Is weak as fuck, theres plenty games with good pve i don't see how anyone would wanna play mortal only for its pve, It's almost like a whim from the mainstream public trying to turn mortal into a steam themepark clone-alike.

This doesn't mean SV shouldn't develop PVE more. Theres an audience for that but the ones wanting a pve server don't seem to be mortal's audience since they don't understand the concept of the game itself.

Cyrax

Mar 24, 2022
I'm okay with bullshit. But a 3 paragraph of looking up at Google for synonyms to seem smart bullshit?
That's just beyond soy. Whatever you say Mortal Kombat boi.
Mortal Kombat is a good game. But you seem like you love playing with AI on easy difficulty for hours.

Do you read anything you type before you post it?! I'm sorry you don't enjoy the structure and the wording of my sentences, it's a consequence of being educated. I don't need to Google words, I know them because I found them in books.

If I sound like I'm talking down to you it's because I am, I tried to meet you on your level, but I just can't go that low.

Cyrax

Mar 24, 2022
You acting like the 50 people that would play the pve server for 2 months are going to hold SV's economy.
Could you even say the people that would play the pve server can pay the server's upkeep?
Then again like perro said, It's not about the money. They never cared about the minority and alt servers definitely go against the design of the game.

Take it im an artist and i made a paint (mortal) u go visit in a gallery (internet), you don't like the sky i painted (pvp) but you do like the ground (pve), you could use your hand to block the sky view of the paining because you don't like it but It's still gonna be there and will still be part of the paining as a whole.
It's intended you see and value the painting on its own and it ain't on your capacity to expect or demand the artist to cut and split the painting to remove the sky just because you don't like it. So you either buy the painting and do it yourself or promise the artist more people would like the painting without the sky and it would signify a higher public transit in the gallery.

I've read some pretty bonkers literature in my life. This post might be profound, or it might be the mad ramblings of a someone with an abundance salvia and time. Either way I appreciate it.

Cyrax

Mar 24, 2022
While he's completely wrong on the PVE server being needed. The game does need to lean in a PVE stable direction if it wants to survive. Gem cant and wont survive on PVP. Heck without the PVE the game's economy is non existent, which is what we are currently seeing now.

They need to start transitioning in the direction of eve and Albion with certain design elements of the game.

Why are we completely wrong? Plenty of similar games employed separate PvE and PvP servers and were successful. If you're going to emphatically state with absolute certainty that it won't work with this game you can at least share with us how you arrived at your conclusion.

• Haha
Reactions: Culinary

Cyrax

Mar 24, 2022
That's not right either tho. You're conflating. AHH forums, but check it.

The game needs to thrive on PLAYER INTERACTION. I legit had a dream about Mortal where I spawned into a town and ended up being in Fab w/ bugged guards and had to escape then I met this girl (girl avatar) that I was walking around and interacting with, she was doing things like... sitting at a table with other people, peeking thru a window at me, pretending to fall over... obviously some of this speaks to my own derangement LOL... but PvE is A RESOURCE in a sandbox. PvP is not the right word. It's P2P, the game needs to add player TO player content, not content v bots that requires more players. It needs to require players to interact as much as possible, and the more interactions they can do, the better. Legit RP content ( decorative/flavor crafting, sitting, eating at tables, having beds in houses as the only thing that would let you 10 sec log in them etc) would bring more than new mobs/new dungeons/new mats. That's just real.

You saw that Nave News vid? That shit was classic. That's the kind of content that needs to drive a sandbox. PvE will always be dogshit, tho dynamic spawns are cool. Just like people who want lawless zones, nah that's wack and contrived... unless the zone is EVERYWHERE OUTSIDE OF X DISTANCE from town.

So in SUMMARY, it doesn't need PvE, it needs simple ENVIRONMENT for the players to interact with and, more importantly IN, and more ways for them to do so. The game could survive without anything but rocks, pickables, and animals, if the pop was booming and there were the right tools. That's a visionary hot take, but it would. Please focus on building THE WORLD. Pvp v Pve is a false dichotomy imo. Make the world REAL. More dogshit mobs that drop diff things is not gonna change anything cept for a few days when people farm it for whatever new mat it gives.

I feel that this is just a sematic digression, which ultimately leans to what we (the pro PvE server clade) are campaigning for. When we say PvE we do mean what you are describing, basically co-operative play. Everything you describe in your dream is less likely to occur frequently in an environment where griefing can happen at any moment - I'm not saying it's impossible, just much less likely. In an environment were the ever-present threat of human-derived endangerment, with full-loot consequences, player interactions are going to be tense and only when necessary. The joviality you descried will be simply too risky for most players to engage in.

I imagine that it's at this point people will interject and say something like "You're wrong" and "I see people messing around and RPing all the time" etc etc, insert fake anecdote, etc.

The fact is you can't have that sort of fun in a killbox. Also, a PvE server would mean that more of the PvE content is "tested" more frequently and more bugs are reported so this will ultimately help the content's development.

• Haha
Reactions: Culinary

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Why are we completely wrong? Plenty of similar games employed separate PvE and PvP servers and were successful. If you're going to emphatically state with absolute certainty that it won't work with this game you can at least share with us how you arrived at your conclusion.
UO called.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I think it's a case of those who cannot tolerate the blurring of the boundary between pve and pvp that will leave, not those who love pve but don't mind pvp being omnipresent.

Some may point to EVE Online having a healthy pve player population because of its graded system security. But even with that, I've seen frustrated players complain that they got "popped and podded" (destruction of both their ship and capsule) in 0.9 systems which are among the highest security deep within Empire space. Player pirates who really want to destroy a ship can easily do so, and Concord are only there to punish them, not stop them.

With that said, I think MO2 needs to attract those players like myself and @Amadman who enjoy pve and other non-pvp activities within the hardcore pvp and full looting ruleset. For those who want a purely non-invasive pve experience, they will unfortunately have to look elsewhere.

Last edited:

Chaines

Jan 26, 2022
If you look at what Elite Dangerous did; they have a few play options, you can play in open and cross & fight anyone, you could play in group only where only people you allow can join, or you can play full solo. As a result, a lot of new players who got attacked and killed once flew to solo only and never tried coming back, never learned that you can defend or avoid getting killed, and the game went from a "MMO" to a solo game. Sad really.
I still think most of people asking for a PvE server are trolling since it make no sense at all for this game. But it could kill it faster.

Last edited:

Zbuciorn

Jun 3, 2020
If you look at what Elite Dangerous did; they have a few play options, you can play in open and cross & fight anyone, you could play in group only where only people you allow can join, or you can play full solo. As a result, a lot of new players who got attacked and killed once flew to solo only and never tried coming back, never learned that you can defend or avoid getting killed, and the game went from a "MMO" to a solo game. Sad really.
I still think most of people asking for a PvE server are trolling since it make no sense at all for this game. But it could kill it faster.
I love classic Elite but the way Elite Dangerous is done makes no sense to invest any time in it.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
honestly if someone just bought out the uo game and reskinned in in an isometric way it would be an over achiever again.

Midkemma

Feb 27, 2022

Awww dude, you just made me cry!
I bought ED and got excited... Took some deaths in the open world to ppl in ships way more invested in than mine and felt pushed into solo to get a competitive ship. That server BS just killed the game. Uninstalled and while I have thought about reinstalling it... I recall the server BS and get close to tears :( Then the server hoppin.. Urgh... So much wrong in such a great game.

Massive lesson for devs to learn from. Split the playerbase up and it can be hard to encourage them to interact outside of their own little bubble. Force them to play together and surprisingly... people learn to play together. Not all, some will leave but so what? It isn't the game for them and not every game can be great for everyone. Many people loved ED with their guilds and for them it was great... Not for me so I left. They enjoy ED without moaners like me and I move onto a game I enjoy and not get stuck in a moan-fest.

MO isn't a PvE server and PvP server style game and I doubt SV have designed it that way either.
In MO1 and in MO2 I'll say the same, the sandbox is the toy and we need toys to play with... Like a plastic spade to dig in the sand and a plastic castle bucket to place castles around... Tools to play with the sand and have fun while we're in our little box.

I'm disappointed that buy orders still are not in for the broker, while it is a single mechanic, it allows players to pay others via a NPC (traditional gaming is used to NPCs handing out quests/rewards) and to give others a quest.

I dislike seeing PvP being hit for the sake of hitting PvP. I like it to be encouraged in a thematic way.

While New World turned into a giant turd with their PvP opt in/out system... I did like how a solo player was part of a faction and had other faction players they can participate in group PvP with. Totally undermined by the fact everyone had PvP off :(

Eve has levels of protection... Allows for more wild PvP in areas while other areas are a bit kinder to miners.

MO2 flagging system and rep system feels a poor solution. Credit to SV for wanting to be their own game but this is an area I do wish they would research around and find inspiration from what has worked well.

korteks

Feb 16, 2022
Either you want unlimited mobs or you want a naked mage running around spurting every mob they see.

Have you realized how much of a soyboy mudda sucka you are?

doubling down on stupidity is basic AF, but i expected no less. have fun going through life with horse blinders on.

your insult game is pretty weak with a PG rating btw, just laughable tbh. lacking in T if you know what I mean.

are you this bad at pvp in the game too?

Last edited:

Acridzero

Jan 24, 2022
Find towns that offer protection for new players or non combatants. Or as other posts have pointed out, find a town with little to no people in it. Ally with those who do live there and defend it as a peaceful nation.

Joe McFly

Jan 26, 2022
What's wrong with setting up a PvE server?
I am a Tamer and today I tried for the second time to tame a Terror Bird in the jungle. And what psssiert of course, cowardly murderers kill me. They can be proud of themselves, to kill a simple Tamer. Cowardly rabble! The second time without even getting to the Terror Birds. I just want to tame animals! I want a PvE server!!!!!!! That being said, when Mortal online starts costing money I'm gone anyway. Unless of course there is a PvE server coming!
So now you can start bashing me again.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Kaden

Feb 3, 2022
I am a Tamer and today I tried for the second time to tame a Terror Bird in the jungle. And what psssiert of course, cowardly murderers kill me. They can be proud of themselves, to kill a simple Tamer. Cowardly rabble! The second time without even getting to the Terror Birds. I just want to tame animals! I want a PvE server!!!!!!! That being said, when Mortal online starts costing money I'm gone anyway. Unless of course there is a PvE server coming!

every veteran will write: don't play it, the game is set up like this, etc. blah blah blah...
If there were to be a second server, I think it would be a shame if it were only PvE...Idelani would have a PvP zone and PvE structure, but of course TC zones and other things would have to be incorporated...Unfortunately, it is small the probability that they will do it, since Henrik said that he only wants 1... There would be a danger that the population would decrease even more and the game would be empty... but maybe there could also be an opposite effect, which would attract new players and they would advise to learn on the PvP/E server, then they would switch to MAIN PvP... that's the question

Thiar

Nov 24, 2020

There is nothing meaningful to do in game without ffa full loot pvp (personal opinion). Make/join alliances that control or is the most dominant in your area so you have less change to get attacked. You also know names of your killers so you can reward someone to attack/harass them. It might be your own lazyness or social skills that you are not getting important allies in game so changing game to fix your problem (which is not really a problem) is not solution.

Henrik has mentioned many times reasons why game will always be full loot and ffa pvp so its never gonna change. He won't change his mind about this even if it brings more new players because it would ruin all the core systems in game. This is clearly passion project to Henrik so he will go down with this path rather than changing game to something he wont like (or copy to every mmo on market like new world, eso).

"So now you can start bashing me again."
Ok, you can become somekind of martyr now and tell everyone: "I told you this will happen!!! I just want to change every core features in game for everybody so I can enjoy this game!!!"

Hodo

Mar 7, 2022
every veteran will write: don't play it, the game is set up like this, etc. blah blah blah...
If there were to be a second server, I think it would be a shame if it were only PvE...Idelani would have a PvP zone and PvE structure, but of course TC zones and other things would have to be incorporated...Unfortunately, it is small the probability that they will do it, since Henrik said that he only wants 1... There would be a danger that the population would decrease even more and the game would be empty... but maybe there could also be an opposite effect, which would attract new players and they would advise to learn on the PvP/E server, then they would switch to MAIN PvP... that's the question

That is basically Haven. Haven is the PVE server now. You learn and play there without the risk of PVP and you can get a good grasp of how the game is played without risk of players killing you.