PvE Encounters: Frequency and Difficulty

Cazik

Mar 5, 2022
First off, I'm new to Mortal Online (never played MO1), but I do understand it is and should be a PvP game.

We do have PvE, though, and I'm wondering if the game would benefit from having more PvE encounters.
  • There's a lot of empty space in the game that could be populated by more mob camps, or roaming mobs.
  • If some PvE encounters were less difficult this would give players more ways to casually farm while not engaging in PvP.
  • Currently it feels like you have to run for a very long time to find any PvE. It's quite sparse.
  • For example, running along the coast near Meduli it just looks like there's so much room to add PvE/mobs to keep things interesting. Rather than having to run for half an hour to find anything.
Is this approach something that could work in MO? To me, it sounds fun, but maybe there are core reasons it wasn't designed this way that I'm unaware of. Or maybe it's just an iterative thing and more PvE will be added to the game over time.

What do you think?

Zandragal

Jan 24, 2022
First off, I'm new to Mortal Online (never played MO1), but I do understand it is and should be a PvP game.

We do have PvE, though, and I'm wondering if the game would benefit from having more PvE encounters.
  • There's a lot of empty space in the game that could be populated by more mob camps, or roaming mobs.
  • If some PvE encounters were less difficult this would give players more ways to casually farm while not engaging in PvP.
  • Currently it feels like you have to run for a very long time to find any PvE. It's quite sparse.
  • For example, running along the coast near Meduli it just looks like there's so much room to add PvE/mobs to keep things interesting. Rather than having to run for half an hour to find anything.
Is this approach something that could work in MO? To me, it sounds fun, but maybe there are core reasons it wasn't designed this way that I'm unaware of. Or maybe it's just an iterative thing and more PvE will be added to the game over time.

What do you think?

I'm new to the franchise but I wouldn't want to see PvE made "easier". Right now it feels challenging and rewarding, as it should be. This ain't no World of Warcraft.

Some more POIs and mobcamps are warranted but not too much - the world has a natural, immersive feeling to it. The woods are deep and the mountains tall and the deserts wide.

I don't want to ruin that by cramming Bandit Spawn #98,771 everywhere and spoiling the joy of exploration, discovery, etc.

Reactions: CrgHck

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
For me the biggest problems with PvE are 1: spawn rates are too slow. 90% the time you go to a dungeon or camp the mobs have already been killed. 2: once you kill a camp you basically have to go to a new one due to said respawn rates. This lowers the chance of fighting over camps. 3: mounted archery is too OP for farming. Can easily kill every mob in the game solo. 4: loot is usually laughable for time invested. Can make more gold cutting wood than killing mobs. 5: Not enough mob variety. 6: Not enough rng to make it fun. Most games PvE hooks you in with the chance of rare loot. This game farming is boring because you know what you'll get

Reactions: Myta

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
I'm new to the franchise but I wouldn't want to see PvE made "easier". Right now it feels challenging and rewarding, as it should be. This ain't no World of Warcraft.

Some more POIs and mobcamps are warranted but not too much - the world has a natural, immersive feeling to it. The woods are deep and the mountains tall and the deserts wide.

I don't want to ruin that by cramming Bandit Spawn #98,771 everywhere and spoiling the joy of exploration, discovery, etc.

The problem is pve is challenging but most players just cheese mobs by circling them on horses and shooting arrows at them making them a walk in the park

Reactions: Myta

Myta

Feb 25, 2022
For me the biggest problems with PvE are 1: spawn rates are too slow

This is also what I consider the biggest problem
It makes most pve encounters boring and simply not worth it. Boring because standing around and waiting for respawn is really the opposite of interesting gameplay (and riding to the next spawn is not really more interesting, especially if there are no mobs there either). Not worth it because with the time spent riding there and then standing around for respawn, basically any other activity would have yielded more.

The farming in pve should be limited by the difficulty of the encounters, not by travel time and wait time for respawn. Which then of course brings us to the problem that MA can just cheese anything...