Pure Mage PvP Idea to be considered prior to staff magic.

Midas

Feb 25, 2022
----Reactive Armor spell--- player skill based.

-User Casts Spell On Self. (ONLY SELFCAST)
-Spell Presents as Duration buff Similar to that of magic Reflect. (Cannot be removed by purify) , every time a player makes a successful parry a small amount of mana is restored. IF a player successfully parries the damage is mitigated to the casting player and a small to moderate percentage of that Melee Damage is reflected back to the enemy. Dmg and mitigation values based off casting players INT/PSY/ECU skill level.
-Spell Mitigates Melee Damage similar to a conventional shield however it is not an item , its use is mana based and drains mana while held the same as a normal shield would to stamina.
-Spell needs to be ecumenical based Allowing new mages to access this skill and have it scale with ecumenical level.(beneficial for players starting the game as well as large scale and solo pvp)
-Should use higher end reagents to cast.
- should have its own parry animation similar to that of the spark from weapon parries. (the more simple the better) like change the color of the spark. to identify it.
- if need be an item could be added specifically for mages to use the skill as a requirement. ( a light/medium armor piece with the small buckler attached or "mage bracer")

It is my belief that this will make for a more fluid combat scenario in all pure mage situations and increase the fluidity for PURE MAGE combat drastically. It is based off Risk/Reward as a mage with not enough mana regeneration due to high armor weight would fail to use this properly. therefore a mage has to have a high level of risk to use this spell efficiently and will most likely be used as a last resort instead of being forced to pull out a dagger or noob sword which does nothing but remove them from the battle almost completely.

I do feel a large part of the mage population wants something along these lines as a defensive spell for themselves when approached by a melee character. Infact its probably one of the main reasons people want staff magic to begin with(to be defensive).

the Brawling animation is already in the game +
mages get to keep combat movement speed +
more mage builds will be viable +

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All that being said i would also like to see potions and bandages to be used with one hand free.

Reactions: Gnidex and Calcal

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
This 100% please. @Robmo There's no excuse not to give this or similar a try. I'd like to err on the side of optimism but after two years it's starting to wear down on me and I don't think SV is capable of doing anything significant.

SV is afraid of touching the current meta, which is horribly unbalanced. But SV, your game IS broken, it IS unbalanced and you ARE losing players every month. What are you gaining by sitting on your hands?

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
You want a buff that gives you mana AND reflects damage back to attacker on parries?

To me that sounds incredibly OP. Mages that can parry well are already super hard to kill. You want them to also deal damage JUST by parrying successfully? And then have a counter ready anytime they wish? Plus cloud of ashes? Plus death hand?

I would much rather see a buff in overall mana regeneration, or have a “quick unsheathe” spell, or a buff that lest you cast quicker……Damage reflect on parry is just broken OP.

Calcal

Dec 11, 2021
You want a buff that gives you mana AND reflects damage back to attacker on parries?

To me that sounds incredibly OP. Mages that can parry well are already super hard to kill. You want them to also deal damage JUST by parrying successfully? And then have a counter ready anytime they wish? Plus cloud of ashes? Plus death hand?

I would much rather see a buff in overall mana regeneration, or have a “quick unsheathe” spell, or a buff that lest you cast quicker……Damage reflect on parry is just broken OP.
I think the idea is a parry that drains mana on successful parry chip damage on hp. that aside. overall mana regen and concentration reworks are sorely needed.