PSA: Do your part to ensure this game has a healthy population. Protect the newbies!

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
Fun fact: A naked player carrying nothing but their worn short sword technically has nothing to lose when they get pk'ed. Meanwhile the pker stands to lose reputation (both statistically and among the community) and incur a murdercount every time they kill an innocent.

The newcomer may be defenceless at face value against a geared up pker. But all the newcomer needs to do is walk up with a grin and dare the pker to kill them, and soon enough the consequences will be greater than any benefit, perceived or otherwise, the pker may want to their name.
Fun fact, a guildie of mine killed a naked player out in the wild carrying 500 gold, pretending to be new so no one would kill him. :)

[CTX] Contractor

Dec 31, 2021
Fun fact: A naked player carrying nothing but their worn short sword technically has nothing to lose when they get pk'ed. Meanwhile the pker stands to lose reputation (both statistically and among the community) and incur a murdercount every time they kill an innocent.

The newcomer may be defenceless at face value against a geared up pker. But all the newcomer needs to do is walk up with a grin and dare the pker to kill them, and soon enough the consequences will be greater than any benefit, perceived or otherwise, the pker may want to their name.

This only works up until the point the PK'er is self sufficient beyond towns.

Bladeer01

Aug 1, 2021
once upon a time there was a " why you quit mo" on the mo1 forum ; i did make a very elaborate answer about full pvp there

fact : pvp is pvp ; griefing is pvp

fact : griefing horses in town isn't something that's worth it ( exept for the "fun" of it ), yet it happen a lot ( idk what are the rep mechanic about that )

fact : when a guy kill a naked outside and some of the naked friends come back for revenge , what happen in most cases is the original pker fleeing for his life while yelling " you noob can't fight without number "

fact : pk in the wild happen for no reason , be it naked pk or stuffed pk

personal experience :

i was near cave camp a while ago ; overloaded with pig carcass with a woodcuting axe ;
a mounted was coming , he didnt see me , since it was beta and i needed some help with something ; i yelled in local " hey sir hey sir "
( i was guildless for all that matter )
the guy made a beeline for me , killing me , and spawn camped me saying " go back to fabernum you noob this is our terrory so fk off ".... ( after that i went the grumpy way of talking so im not really proud of it )

a while after that and a random guy gave me a bow without asking for anything ...

conclusion :

the wild is dangerous , even more if you are alone ; naked or not ;

being nice isn't a protection

pvp maniac , pve maniac , nice ppl , aggressive ppl ; all are in the game ;

i can't really say wich direction the game will go with the probable evolution of rep mechanic ;

but it's sure that many MANY noob will quite after first week if they meet agressive player a lot ...

some say i'm a pussy , i don't care , just know i will never yell about getting pked , be it for my loot or for fun , but hey , getting spawn camped or griefed in town isn't the same thing , since ( to my knowledge ) ppl can have multiple account , killing ppl dont matter since you can have a blue going to town to take care of your stuff , or just a guild to do that for you xd

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I don't believe it will just be about the current guilds and such.

If there is a very large influx of players then a percentage of them are going to look at the game as an arena pvp game.

So the idea of just going right to killing people will seem like the logical path for some.

Hopefully though Haven will be a good enough buffer for those that are not looking to be involved in the initial madness.

Because It will all die down after the initial rush and almost be a different game once things settle.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Bladeer01

Aug 1, 2021
I don't believe it will just be about the current guilds and such.

If there is a very large influx of players then a percentage of them are going to look at the game as an arena pvp game.

So the idea of just going right to killing people will seem like the logical path for some.

Hopefully though Haven will be a good enough buffer for those that are not looking to be involved in the initial madness.

Because It will all die down after the initial rush and almost be a different game once things settle.

really will depend of reputation mechanic i think ,

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
once upon a time there was a " why you quit mo" on the mo1 forum ; i did make a very elaborate answer about full pvp there

fact : pvp is pvp ; griefing is pvp

fact : griefing horses in town isn't something that's worth it ( exept for the "fun" of it ), yet it happen a lot ( idk what are the rep mechanic about that )

fact : when a guy kill a naked outside and some of the naked friends come back for revenge , what happen in most cases is the original pker fleeing for his life while yelling " you noob can't fight without number "

fact : pk in the wild happen for no reason , be it naked pk or stuffed pk

personal experience :

i was near cave camp a while ago ; overloaded with pig carcass with a woodcuting axe ;
a mounted was coming , he didnt see me , since it was beta and i needed some help with something ; i yelled in local " hey sir hey sir "
( i was guildless for all that matter )
the guy made a beeline for me , killing me , and spawn camped me saying " go back to fabernum you noob this is our terrory so fk off ".... ( after that i went the grumpy way of talking so im not really proud of it )

a while after that and a random guy gave me a bow without asking for anything ...

conclusion :

the wild is dangerous , even more if you are alone ; naked or not ;

being nice isn't a protection

pvp maniac , pve maniac , nice ppl , aggressive ppl ; all are in the game ;

i can't really say wich direction the game will go with the probable evolution of rep mechanic ;

but it's sure that many MANY noob will quite after first week if they meet agressive player a lot ...

some say i'm a pussy , i don't care , just know i will never yell about getting pked , be it for my loot or for fun , but hey , getting spawn camped or griefed in town isn't the same thing , since ( to my knowledge ) ppl can have multiple account , killing ppl dont matter since you can have a blue going to town to take care of your stuff , or just a guild to do that for you xd

Yeah for me the problem with Kill-On-Sight is that it ruins the social MMO aspect of games and just makes it a battle royale.

Reactions: Tloluvin

ryn

Jan 24, 2022
First of all, I appreciate all the discussion on this post. My goal was mainly to bring up what we as the player base could do to support long-term game health. Irrespective of the developer's design decisions.

I want to address the "let's not put on kid gloves for the new players" mentality. I respect the vision of a full loot pvp mmo and a world that feels dangerous. But it doesn't have to be a black and white debate. We can lower the floor a little on how sweaty you have to be to play this game, without compromising that vision.

What I'm pushing for is small changes in community culture that improve the new player experience and improve player retention. The reality is nobody likes getting repeatedly ganked, and IMO, the new player PvE options are pretty limited.

I could be wrong though, what do you guys think are some good PvE options for new players if they are out of Haven and getting ganked in the graveyard?

SilentPony

Nov 27, 2021
First of all, I appreciate all the discussion on this post. My goal was mainly to bring up what we as the player base could do to support long-term game health. Irrespective of the developer's design decisions.

I want to address the "let's not put on kid gloves for the new players" mentality. I respect the vision of a full loot pvp mmo and a world that feels dangerous. But it doesn't have to be a black and white debate. We can lower the floor a little on how sweaty you have to be to play this game, without compromising that vision.

What I'm pushing for is small changes in community culture that improve the new player experience and improve player retention. The reality is nobody likes getting repeatedly ganked, and IMO, the new player PvE options are pretty limited.

I could be wrong though, what do you guys think are some good PvE options for new players if they are out of Haven and getting ganked in the graveyard?
Mining and other resource gathering. Then make 10 metal swords and go kill PK in the graveyard. Once they are dead, go farm it if you still want that. PvE combat in this game is about the most boring activity I have seen in games recently.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Fun fact, a guildie of mine killed a naked player out in the wild carrying 500 gold, pretending to be new so no one would kill him. :)

RPKs (as in the guild people) told me that, nakeds have the best loot. I think that's a bit WRONG, but it's always possible. It's like scratch off lotto tickets. I would never carry 500g naked. Of course the most I ever lost was I think like 8~ stacks (v sad day for me!!) of calspar that I was gonna use to make skadi.

I want to put this here tho, cuz I was just in the standing thread. It's not about new or not. I mean... in some ways it is. Like you can tell when someone is just completely new like face tanking a zombie and handle hitting them. It's like damn... :( but in general the population of this game needs to change the way they look at it. They are like wahhh we can't protect the GY because we need to be making gains, it's like ok then you get no noobs. I mean, SV doesn't want that so they put in wack systems, but that's the basic point. And it's hurting the game on many levels, because people won't put in low level work.

There are enough people in this game to at least deter and create some good fights vs people who are camping a static spot, the fact that they are off doing their own thing is kind of shameful. I mean, if you purport to be ARPK, a good guy, or whatever.

You wanna talk about scratch off lotto tickets, which is better finding 500g on a naked or finding the guy in the GY that has potential to be a great player and playing alongside him, gearing him, and fighting vs players. In the end, nobody cares enough. That's just the raw truth.

Nobody is interested in experiencing all of the possible situations in the sandbox, they are still thinking static like... HOW AM I GONNA FARM MINOS THEN?! I had someone who was inquiring about my guild and when he read the info, he was like, "So wait what are you goals... I kinda wanted to aim higher than that, I wanna build a rep!" It's like heh. Dude never played the game before, and I was trying to tell him how things work in MO. He said some stuff like so you guys are just gonna be playing softcore casual in a hardcore sandbox, good luck with that. It's like loooooooooooooool.

I dunno, man, people's minds... it's sad that you get something that is pretty close to being an actual sandbox, but nobody wants to play all of the roles. Nobody wants to do different stuff, they want to focus on GAINS and TC and STACKING MATS (basic theme park stuff, really.) For what... so they can play the game from a more advantageous point. However, if you just try playing the game from where you are, you might find that you do alright and the gains come anyway. This is assuming there never are WALLS again. Walls were like "welp, they finally did it, they ruined it completely."

That's why 'griefers' are such a problem to everyone. It doesn't take much to make an impact, and nobody wants to stop their routine to deal with them. You don't need all that other stuff. Get some players who aren't dog shit w/ flake weps and they could clear out the GY ez. Dudes want to build their rep as in... their tag, or the shininess of their armor, so they ain't got time to protect nubs.

For my rep, I want it to be like it was in MO1, as a person. Ascii shrug.

Reactions: The Khan

Tuwilligar

Jan 25, 2022
I will be doing my part in Fabernum by crafting low level gear sets ( armour, a weapon and a shield) and then pairing it with some starter food, bandages, a pickaxe and an axe. 20 silver a kit

I will have to charge a few silver for each kit to keep it flowing unfortunately, but hey more immersion.

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com

Usually when I sense that there is player-killing going in the graveyard I go back to town and do a yell, and see if anyone is in the mood to drive the gankers away. If a group shows up, I try to help and get a bit of pvp practice while carrying nothing of value.

If a group is not around, I go to my bank and see what resources or materials I'm short on, and go do some gathering (including hunting creatures) which is always a nice distraction. By the time I come back, the gankers are usually gone and I can go back to the graveyard, satisfied in the knowledge that I made good use of my time and got something useful out of it.

If that fails, I go and explore in a random direction and see what turns up. Along the way, I tend to find stuff in nature that I want to gather and bring back, and run into some bandits and plenty of wildlife which, I might add, have much better AI than MO1 or most mmorpgs I've played.

The Khan

Dec 21, 2021
Just to give my 2 cents as a player 2 months into the game.

The worst part of the game, *by far*, is mortal 1 players acting like possessive dicks over the game.

everything to most of you guys (the most vocal negative ones at least), is insisting things continue on essentially in an unbroken line of playstyles & relationships from mortal 1. Which, from what I can gather, was just a toxic deathmatch game that never allowed anything other than pking (not even fair-ish pvp) to emerge.

Last edited:

HappyPig

Jan 24, 2022
As a new player 1 day into the game, my biggest struggle was the lack of direction. Pretty frustration actually. I didn't even know how to leave haven after the tutorial quests.

Piet

May 28, 2020
As a new player 1 day into the game, my biggest struggle was the lack of direction. Pretty frustration actually. I didn't even know how to leave haven after the tutorial quests.
There's a shit ton to do. This is a sandbox instead a themepark so you have to decide what interests you instead of being led around by the collar by quests.

Reactions: Kulo

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021

Once you realize it's all puff machismo, you will feel a lot happier. haha. Not saying none of these guys are capable of carrying out what they say, but let's say... they spread their words a lot further than their actions... or your buttcheeks.

But if people cannot handle such a simple 'problem' as people sniping new players in the GY, I dunno what sort of a sandbox this is. The true nature of sandbox is not building TC, it's player interaction! That's the core of everything.

And just like if you go to the GY and stomp out some troll people, gradually, they might bring more people, they might bring more gear. That makes it a pvp hotspot, which IMO is cool. And it lets new players get involved, too, and get to FEEL what it's actually like to be in battle, which is one of the feelings that is gonna hook people to the game. I'm not talking about getting smashed out while you lean over to pick up a walker head, but actually moving around while fighting is going on, even if you are just watching and don't end up getting any hits in, or if you try too hard and go in and die.

Losing sucks, but just being a victim is what makes people quit the game. That's why I try to talk people out of that victim mindset. I would hope there would be enough people on release that we can organize an army of nubs and clear the GY. heh. If not, as I said, that is a SANDBOX FAIL, not a mechanic fail.

@HappyPig like Piet said, you can do whatever you want, even naked. Now that you can talk in local while dead ALL BETS ARE OFF. It is true that they don't really tell you how to leave haven tho LOL. As far as I know. That's pretty funny when you think about it. I prol would have messed that up, too. I'm the kind of dude when I played RPGs back before they told you exactly what to do, I would always end up struggling w/ the first quest until I figured out the mindset of the designers. Sometimes obvious things are the hardest. They def need to add a mark just like there is to the dummies and crafting tables to LEAVE HAVEN.