Proposition for a new profession. The painter.

Is this something you think is worth developing?

• No.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Yes.

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Simplify it.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Expand on it.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Make it secondary.

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

DwarfLord

Jun 15, 2021
The Painter, a primary profession.
*THIS IS A CONCEPT (Screenshot taken and edited by ATC Forgiven)* Mortal Painters Concept.jpg

The painter would be using an in-game tool such as a painters set. (Icon of a painting brush)
This tool would auto apply the nudity filter and allow the painter to take a capture in game. (So long as they had a canvas and the painters set in their inventory)
The capture would have oil painting filters with clarity based on your skill lvl.

Once a painter has a captured a painting it should let them name the canvas.
A canvas by itself cannot be hung, the painter then needs to craft a frame and combine them.
At this point it become a place-able object to help flesh out the game world in an immersive way.

The painter should be able to craft the type of frame using their choice of material which would alter the appearance in game.
(Bone tissue frames, Jade frames, steel/gold frames, ect.)
The canvas should also be crafted through the use of papyrus or other textiles.
Could add special vendor to sell the painting items, The vendor would fit in lore wise among the nobles of Tindrem.
He should also sell canvas (Can only buy them here, incentive to craft them outside of Tindrem) and skill books along with the painters set.

This could be expanded on further with the dye system, being able to create paints.
(However this should not be for the use with canvas portraits, as it would be very tedious.)
Instead the painter will also have the ability to paint interior walls, requiring a large amount of "dye" per room.

*I would love to hear feed back , creative ideas, criticism or any input on this concept. Maybe together we can evolve this idea, if it grows enough and ends up making sense it could potentially be a game mechanic.*

ATC Forgiven

Jul 27, 2021
"Here is my place. Let me make you a key real quick" " Thanks man. I'll probably be in the area for a few days. Atleast until I die at the festival haha." "No problem at all. Here see if this key works." The door opens with a slight creaking noise. A table with yesterday's wooden plates needs cleared and candle light is giving away to the sunrise. "This is a cool house. How much did it cost? " "499 gold but having it delivered was the real chore. Kept getting attacked by wolves coming up the hill. " The visitor begins to look around. " Do you have somewhere i can store my gear so I can go collect a few things from town?" "Yea, just through the hallway on the left. The guest room has a trunk I've left open for you." Starting down the hall he takes notice of several paintings. "Hey, I've never seen this one? Where did you get it?" The owner come walking down the hall. " Oh man. Last year at the festival of the Flame GutscranK was selling these shots. This one is of Legion vs VII in the 3 vs e. I paid 10g for it. He said he could even gold frame it out but I really like the Whitewood look. " "Bro thats really cool. Does he stay in mk or does he have somewhere to buy his stuff" "Not sure, I think you can find him in Fabernum but I know he keeps a gallery of his paintings in Tindrem. You should get him in discord. He does landscapes and portraits too."

This game is legit

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
Along with tatooing, hairdressing, and maybe negotiation skills I would like to see this skill in a 3rd skill tree named something like social skills. That way everyone can take up what they like from these if they feel like it. These are just the type of skills that seem too unimportant to have as a primary under professions, but if they were a primary under a separate tree they could be truly unique. You would neet to seek out a painter if you were a tatoo artist or barber, and not have to sacrifice points from weaponcrafting to be able to paint.

Really like the idea.

DwarfLord

Jun 15, 2021
Along with tatooing, hairdressing, and maybe negotiation skills I would like to see this skill in a 3rd skill tree named something like social skills. That way everyone can take up what they like from these if they feel like it. These are just the type of skills that seem too unimportant to have as a primary under professions, but if they were a primary under a separate tree they could be truly unique. You would neet to seek out a painter if you were a tatoo artist or barber, and not have to sacrifice points from weaponcrafting to be able to paint.

Really like the idea.
Thank you for this, Added your suggestion as Make it secondary. I like the idea of branching the professions under one tree perhaps to save on points. Though this way it will make painting a very lucrative profession for the ones willing to sacrifice points for it. It would make the ones who do it, and the ones who do it well even more sought after adding increased value to the profession in a skill based way. I personally will not take the profession, I would spend the gold to hire a painter for my needs and happily sink gold into their pockets for them to buy the stuff they cannot craft. Or for whatever their in-game goals are.

Vargas_00

Apr 15, 2021
Definitely a cool idea. I wouldn't paint myself, but I'd love it to happen! Also creating a "social skills" tree seems pretty legit, there'd be no "mechanical" impact from any of these (or should it?), so it seems legit to allow for some more extra SPs without having to cut on either action or profession skills.

Or yes, just secondary in profession skills. That works too.

DwarfLord

Jun 15, 2021
A few ideas considering expanding and simplifying.

Expanding:
Frames require secondary books that are sold in different NPC faction towns.
They can only be bought when your sophistication meets the vendor requirement.
Changes per region with Tindremic Frames requiring the most and Thursar Frames requiring no sophistication.
The frames style will cater to the region it came from.
Certain AI can drop frame books for unique portraits.

Simplifying:
Only require one universal tool, sold at utility vendor.
Fewer customization options for frames.
Secondary skill
No wall painting

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
A few ideas considering expanding and simplifying.

Expanding:
Frames require secondary books that are sold in different NPC faction towns.
They can only be bought when your sophistication meets the vendor requirement.
Changes per region with Tindremic Frames requiring the most and Thursar Frames requiring no sophistication.
The frames style will cater to the region it came from.
Certain AI can drop frame books for unique portraits.

Simplifying:
Only require one universal tool, sold at utility vendor.
Fewer customization options for frames.
Secondary skill
No wall painting
Well sign me up for the expanded version then. :D

Olympeus

Apr 30, 2021
I really like this idea and I hope this and similar professions like barbers and tattooing can be added to the game in meaningful ways. Anything that can open this game up to diverse playstyles give people more things to do in-game will only help boost the player base and help the game be successful.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
Fruits you'll have, basket-weaving might come later (we can dream), but for a hard-core MMORPG in the Mortal universe, a painting should naturally have artistically depicted carcasses.

default.jpg

Fig. 1:
Still Life with Dead Game*,
1661 by Willem van Aelst
(This image is in the public domain.)

Above is an example.

* No, "dead game" is not a criticism of Mortal Online 2. It's just coincidentally the title.
I am sure that painting will find its rightful place here in MO2. All we need now are fruits, and baskets to put them in.
laylah_sig_wide_zps90b85aae.JPG

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
Hell fucking no. People drew sky dicks with the friken relics in MO1 (looking at you RPK) for crying out loud . For the love of god do NOT give anyone a paintbrush, or colour, or canvas, or anything of the sort.

Last edited:

pooternackle

Mar 21, 2021
Hell fucking no. People drew sky dicks with the friken relics in MO1 (looking at you RPK) for crying out loud . For the love of god do NOT give anyone a paintbrush, or colour, or canvas, or anything of the sort.
It would work if people have to use some kind of template, but as you point out, the world would be filled with cock portraits and swasticas if the OP’s vision were implemented.

DwarfLord

Jun 15, 2021
Did you read the suggestion? It is designed to avoid this.... I take it you just read the title or something. Regardless. Thanks for the feedback!