Profession skill points, multiple characters and multiple accounts

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
Did anyone from SV already mention how many skill points we will have at release for professional skills? is it only 1000?

also, right now each account is linked with the steam account (ie you directly login using the steam credentials). In the future will be allowed to have multiple MO2 accounts and an in-game login? whithout the need of having multiple steam accounts

will accounts be able to purchase extra characters slot, like in MO1?

I have the feeling (and I think I remember hearing some official words on it) SV will try to push for a single-character per player policy with MO2 (which is perfectly fine).
if that's the case however, I have a bit of a crazy suggestion, but I think could work well for the game population and the economy: what about unlimited profession points (maybe with diminishing returns)! in this way people will be more encouraged to play with their single character, will be encouraged to play for longer (with more things to do), and guarantee to have always people able to fight out in the world gathering/harvesting/crafting etc.

if the limitation is 1000 skill points, we'll be limited to old MO1 crafting builds, and i fear people will get bored pretty fast, with one charachter being able to only either harvest, or craft without materials. I know in one way the idea is to promore player cooperation and guild-based comminities, but this is a dangerous 2-edged sword: for once, it relies on a steady population for instance, and a balance in professions. If there are no extractors willing to sell their metals, other players cannot really commit to weaponcrafting or armorcrafting for instance.
in my past as crafter, I had 3 accounts with 4 characters each to becompletely self-sufficient, yet I was still interacting with plenty of people all the time, indicating that self-reliability is not a negative factor in player interaction. in fact, before reaching that stage, I always had to wait to obtain gear/materials that I wanted, rather than just procuring them myself (even at peak population times like after Awakening), which was rather frustrating (I remember i was mostly haging out in towns doing nothing).

Last edited:

billbonty

Nov 17, 2020
- From what we have heard, there will be no extra slot purchases. 1 Character per account.
- Professional skills are split for crafting and combat basically. You have a separate primary pool for both.
- Multiple steam accounts will be needed most likely due to the way it links. (if that is even allowed)
- Unlimited profession points turns MO2 into runescape and everyone will feel like a number. Your choices for skills will mean nothing.

MaDeuce

May 28, 2020
That's the way right now to have multiple Characters in MO2, Multiple Steam Accounts.

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
- Unlimited profession points turns MO2 into runescape and everyone will feel like a number. Your choices for skills will mean nothing.
I see your point. at the same time though both runescape and Eve (which share a similar system) still enjoy a quite healty population, even decades after their release date. does not necessary mean that this is the reason, but it could be.

billbonty

Nov 17, 2020
I see your point. at the same time though both runescape and Eve (which share a similar system) still enjoy a quite healty population, even decades after their release date. does not necessary mean that this is the reason, but it could be.
Unlimited primaries will never happen.

Xunila

May 28, 2020
Germany
Maybe you don't know about the changes in the skill system of MO1 during the last years: Many former primary skills became secondary, e.g. mining and woodcutting and several material skills. Even riding became secondary and controlled riding primary to allow all builds to ride. With those changes my armor crafter got 400-500 more primary points.

We don't know yet how many primary points we will have in MO2 in the first skill tree (with all fighting skills, magic skills, riding, domestication) and in the profession skill tree. StarVault could easily give 1500 or 2000 primary points to the profession skill tree and allow every character to be able to craft in three or four different jobs.

Grasthard

Nov 21, 2020
Okinawa
Maybe you don't know about the changes in the skill system of MO1 during the last years: Many former primary skills became secondary, e.g. mining and woodcutting and several material skills. Even riding became secondary and controlled riding primary to allow all builds to ride. With those changes my armor crafter got 400-500 more primary points.

We don't know yet how many primary points we will have in MO2 in the first skill tree (with all fighting skills, magic skills, riding, domestication) and in the profession skill tree. StarVault could easily give 1500 or 2000 primary points to the profession skill tree and allow every character to be able to craft in three or four different jobs.

thanks for the info! indeed I have not played MO1 in the last 2-3 years maybe. That's good to hear, and I hope as well characters will have more than 1000 points for the profession skills (maybe 1000 for combat and 2000 for profession, something like that)

Handsome Young Man

Jun 13, 2020
Yeah I dont think itll be a big problem. People will still have multiple characters but not nearly as much as in mo1 where people had 16 characters

Necromantic

Jun 9, 2020
- Professional skills are split for crafting and combat basically. You have a separate primary pool for both.
No. Skills are separated into Action and Profession. So profession is already the one side of it.

Honestly I think being allowed to have multiple MO2/Steam accounts defeats the point of only having one character (aside from them getting more money from it). And I'd think having multiple accounts is more of a problem than having multiple character per account.

Anyway the people that want to and don't have anything better to do will have a gazillion accounts again.

A big issue with the separated skill point I see is that it puts people that want to focus on professions at more of a disadvantage. They'll kind of be forced to pick up fighting, even if they don't want to and I do believe there are more people that want to completely stay away from investing in combat than there are people that want to only do combat and won't pick up some crafting if they have the opportunity to be more self-sufficient.

Well, I do agree that unlimited points would make my aforementioned points even worse and it would take any choice or investment away from anything profession related.

At least it's separated into Actions and Professions and not just Combat and Non-Combat so at least a lot of Non-Combat stuff can still be found under Actions. Professions are pretty much Crafting, Gathering and Lore/Knowledge skills and Actions are everything else. So we'll have to see how that actually plays out.