Poleswords are NOT Poleaxes

Clovr

Dec 14, 2021
Tittle says it all,

poleswords should be an independent secondary skill under "swords" and "spears" as parent skills instead of the actual "axes" and "spears" in my opinnion.

I find somehow overwhelming to just level up axes and spears and have access to all polearms in-game. Poleswords differ so much from axes and poleaxes in damage and (since last update) also in stamina draining and slashing speed values.

This change would make dex fighters and less strong characters to be able to use poleswords since it's uncommon to see axe weilders among these.

D

Dracu

How about them just taking 100 points?

This weapon has nothing that would justify 200 points.
its a sword on a stick it has its pros and cons

poleweapons should be unique skills and not require 2 weapon skills.

Reactions: Rorry

2Op4Scrubs

Sep 11, 2021
https://mortalonline2.com/forums/threads/the-poleswords-correction-suggestion-post.3467/post-46918

Yeah, fr, Call it
Polearm
ez clap. That includes spears, poleaxes, and poleswords, and poleflails (If they get added) Then have each weapon a secondary skill to primary Polearm.

But Arnt they currently considered op as fk because the axes hit pretty fking hard I hear, and I know they block hits with the head all the time. So who knows.

This change would make dex fighters and less strong characters to be able to use poleswords since it's uncommon to see axe weilders among these.

I also dont see how its going to allow "Less strong fighters" be able to use them. Just changing the points around does nothing for the strength requirements, or the speed of the swing values.

Reactions: Dracu

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Yeah, dont really see how it ever justifies 200 skill points tbh. You pidgeon hole yourself into out of knife fight range engagements and have pretty big clear weaknesses. If it was just a 100 point stand alone skill and someone only has that skill, they'll always lack the indoor/cave/keep fighting flexibility that all other weapon skills have access to as well as being relegated to a very specific playstyle. Which is a fair trade off on its own.

Reactions: Dracu

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Yeah, dont really see how it ever justifies 200 skill points tbh. You pidgeon hole yourself into out of knife fight range engagements and have pretty big clear weaknesses. If it was just a 100 point stand alone skill and someone only has that skill, they'll always lack the indoor/cave/keep fighting flexibility that all other weapon skills have access to as well as being relegated to a very specific playstyle. Which is a fair trade off on its own.

poles in mo1 were def worth the 200 pts. I dunno about anymore. Pole axes, maybe, but I've only had them used against me, haven't tried.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
poles in mo1 were def worth the 200 pts. I dunno about anymore. Pole axes, maybe, but I've only had them used against me, haven't tried.
Well in mo1 the poleswords were faster than they should have been, not taking enough stam. Just took a sword added range and some damage at barely any extra finnicky handle hit chance. In MO2 its in a much better place balance wise.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Well in mo1 the poleswords were faster than they should have been, not taking enough stam. Just took a sword added range and some damage at barely any extra finnicky handle hit chance. In MO2 its in a much better place balance wise.

agreed.

Goremor

Feb 20, 2021
Its better, then regular swords, so no. Need 200 points for it. Its only foot fighter weapons.

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Its better, then regular swords, so no. Need 200 points for it. Its only foot fighter weapons.
Its actually not. But thanks for the feedback.

Swords are hard to handle hit with, deal the same damage +-1 or 2 damage and the increased range is negligible. The increased range becomes a problem in group fights and fights in tight spaces. Since you can't even charge your attacks.

It definitely should be in a skill on its own but I honestly have no skin in this fight I don't personally use anything heavier than a light spear or a heavy dagger. Fight polearms every now and then and they are honestly garbage. You can just hug them and there is nothing they can do about it. Once they've swung 5 times or so or sprint swung like 3 times they are out of stam and no longer a threat. Sprint into them before they swing and they cant even swing at you. Used to be even easier to stam them out since they'd lose stam on a wiffed charge.

Clovr

Dec 14, 2021
Thanks for taking the time to state your thoughts about this. I'll try to cover everything that has been said so far.

How about them just taking 100 points?

This weapon has nothing that would justify 200 points.
its a sword on a stick it has its pros and cons

In my opinnion, poleweapons can't be considered as an unique type of weapon since they have to be categorized by their heads in the actual skill and crafting architecture. I find the 200 points, instead of a 100, well set for the current 1100 spendable points; you have to pay extra for the extra reach and utility with that same weapon class you are aiming for (poleaxes, poleswords, "polemaces/flails" if they ever get developed, and this skill setup would give ease to it).

Polearm
ez clap. That includes spears, poleaxes, and poleswords, and poleflails (If they get added) Then have each weapon a secondary skill to primary Polearm.

This distribution would work just as fine.

I also dont see how its going to allow "Less strong fighters" be able to use them. Just changing the points around does nothing for the strength requirements, or the speed of the swing values.

It would allow it since weaker fighters, such as Veelas or hybrid builds, normally stick to swords as their main damage dealing weapons for their weight, not axes. With the new update where poleswords don't drain as much stamina, weaker stamina pools + medium/light armors (stam regen increase) can handle them easier.

If it was just a 100 point stand alone skill and someone only has that skill, they'll always lack the indoor/cave/keep fighting flexibility that all other weapon skills have access to as well as being relegated to a very specific playstyle. Which is a fair trade off on its own.

That will probably always happen even though the 200 points remain. You won't find many warriors carrying around a good axe and poleaxe in their inventory. In which case, the trade off would be losing both weapons if they die. I personally still prefere the posibility of dinamicly changing the outcome of a fight because of one squad been more prepared weapon wise than the other.

Thanks for taking the time to read it all!

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
That will probably always happen even though the 200 points remain. You won't find many warriors carrying around a good axe and poleaxe in their inventory. In which case, the trade off would be losing both weapons if they die. I personally still prefere the posibility of dinamicly changing the outcome of a fight because of one squad been more prepared weapon wise than the other.

Thanks for taking the time to read it all!
Yeah. Except they'd have to skill it to another entire skill to pull it of, vs just buying, looting or finding a weapon that you then already have the skills for.

And skills don't exactly go up fast now.