Please bring back alt to self target

Anachroniser

Aug 9, 2020
Alt to self cast and self target in general was removed in a recent patch. It wasnt even given as an option in the settings menu, just outright removed. I think having a universal self target modifier key is very useful and has unique functionality that cannot be replaced without adding tons of extra keybinds.

Lets say your pet has a charge that allows it to move faster than normal but can be easily dodged, instead of hitting follow and having your pet slowly wallow over to you, you can use the universal modifier key and have it attack you then dodge the charge. Maybe they bring back those shades with a healing spell, self target would be pretty much required at that point. This raises skill ceiling for pet users and adds interesting and unique functionality. Want to self target a spell without having a keybind just to self cast? Use the universal keybind. Want to use a pet command that is "follow the target" but dont want a separate bind for "follow me", universal keybind. Want to do anything else that is targeted? universal keybind simplifies self targeting.

The main reason, though, that I want the self target functionality back is for the unreleased magic schools. Lets say that spiritism has a spell that you would want to cast on yourself. Currently the only way to do that is to either intentionally miss the cast and then hit the self cast button or to target something valid, cancel the cast and then self target. Suffice it to say both methods are janky, unintuitive and undesirable. There is also an easy solution, one that was already in game. Perhaps you want to cast the elementalism spell healing rain and center the aoe on yourself. This could trivially be made to work with the self target modifier, without it you would either have to free target the ground(if the spell allows for it) or you would have to get a valid target near you and cast on that or you would have to cast, cancel the cast and then press the self cast keybind. Again, while it would work it would be janky and worse than just having a self target keybind.

With just ecumenical in game, the current self cast keybind works well enough though it is limited to only working with spells. Once we have spells that are not prepped with one keybind and then targeted with a separate one, the system will feel significantly worse.

Last of all, I just like using alt to self target. It feels better to me. It's already functionality baked into the game. I honestly wouldnt even mind if it was disabled by default or if it was just added to the keybinds menu, I'd rather have the generic self target modifier than using the individual self target functions. Just let me turn it on so I can stop using this self cast key.

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
It used to be that whatever key you bound as a thrust also worked as a self-target. That made perfect sense and had zero conflict. Hold that spell and swing a weapon, it's a thrust. Hold it and cast a spell, it's a self-target. I found this absolutely essential when I was playing hybrid as I had one super high value key (Q) serving two super high value functions instead of one. Hate that they removed it.

Reactions: Anachroniser