Player-made books and published journals

Jybwee

May 28, 2020
I'm sure someone has already suggested bringing player-made books back and i'd hope it's on the devs plans.

but also, since we now have journals. Maybe we should also be able to publish our journals. (or a "group" within them)

Hell, from a programing standpoint... you basically already gave us a way to write, proof-read, and construct a book.
Another small step and we can put them on the broker. "Create 'X' book containing 'Y' *group*". *group* being the subsection (already labeled) of the journal.

I guess some negatives are that the devs would need to streamline the journal system. Also, they'd have to police the tsunami of repugnant materializations of displaced..... Altho a ranking system may help this.

Can refine searches to include books above a rank limit. I'm positive some horrible books will still filter through but a rank will still help massively.

Just a quick example: Maybe published as "Jungle Flora" with a full description of the plants values. medicinal and otherwise.
journal.png

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
Great idea. I missed the books we could write in back in MO1, which itself was a feature from UO.

I would like to see something similar to this make a return in MO2. The game just isn't the same without player-written content.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
idk the problem is that the internet exists so its not really needed now as it was 20 years ago. People have youtube, forums, guides, etc

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
I'm sure someone has already suggested bringing player-made books back and i'd hope it's on the devs plans.

but also, since we now have journals. Maybe we should also be able to publish our journals. (or a "group" within them)

Hell, from a programing standpoint... you basically already gave us a way to write, proof-read, and construct a book.
Another small step and we can put them on the broker. "Create 'X' book containing 'Y' *group*". *group* being the subsection (already labeled) of the journal.

I guess some negatives are that the devs would need to streamline the journal system. Also, they'd have to police the tsunami of repugnant materializations of displaced..... Altho a ranking system may help this.

Can refine searches to include books above a rank limit. I'm positive some horrible books will still filter through but a rank will still help massively.

Just a quick example: Maybe published as "Jungle Flora" with a full description of the plants values. medicinal and otherwise.
View attachment 3724

I was expecting books to be a thing aswell, if MO had good development resources and criteria i'd want even a book crafter class lol, from making the books to printing the lettering or writing shit on it.
Also, giving player made books more than just the editorial-literature value would like to see player-made skillbooks that could deliver what other books can't.

Last edited:

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
idk the problem is that the internet exists so its not really needed now as it was 20 years ago. People have youtube, forums, guides, etc
This doesn't mean the world shouldn't count with diegetic tools for people to access information, in an ideal game design it should offer ways to access information ingame and people being able to capitalize their knowledge and efforts ingame.

I despice there's emulators and shit like that even tho its convenient. But maybe you fail to see the magic of diegetic content. For example in MO1 the secrecy of potion making was a thing, despite the alchemy tutorials and such, same as fishes locations and other "secrets" of the world.

Jybwee

May 28, 2020
I was expecting books to be a thing aswell, if MO had good development resources and criteria i'd want even a book crafter class lol, from making the books to printing the lettering or writing shit on it.
Also, giving player made books more than just the editorial value would like to see player-made skillbooks that could deliver what other books can't.
Maybe working off that papyrus lore

Jybwee

May 28, 2020
I wonder how drawing could work in this here game. Always had this wild dream of making flora books like them old ones...
A new player identifying trees by sight and being able to spot moon sponge under those umbrella leaves that i'm sure so many miss....

here's one of i own -
flora.jpg

With details such as taste, medicinal uses, bark or textures of leaves, odor?.. idk..
Not really giving away in-game secrets directly in the text, but definitely hinting at some.

I'd think a simple paint program could work well enough. Well, considering the fact that you can not allow people to upload pics. That would be a nightmare only a few of us would want to live.

Might be crude but i can get around in paint well enough. Hell, isn't that shit public domain by now :p

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
I wonder how drawing could work in this here game. Always had this wild dream of making flora books like them old ones...
A new player identifying trees by sight and being able to spot moon sponge under those umbrella leaves that i'm sure so many miss....

here's one of i own -
View attachment 3772

With details such as taste, medicinal uses, bark or textures of leaves, odor?.. idk..
Not really giving away in-game secrets directly in the text, but definitely hinting at some.

I'd think a simple paint program could work well enough. Well, considering the fact that you can not allow people to upload pics. That would be a nightmare only a few of us would want to live.

Might be crude but i can get around in paint well enough. Hell, isn't that shit public domain by now :p
Yes books that could speak about the properties of plants and/or other materials in their respective uses, from extracting formulas to lores, etc. Would be really cool if players could make ingame guides and publish them instead of having to look information somewhere else.

Last edited: