Pet builds, playing with your legs cut off.

Vulpin

Nov 29, 2021
Some pets in this game can be really strong in fighting which is great, but majority of the time you can't even use them because your playing with your legs cut off. This reminds be of playing a Valk in BDO were as long as the content comes to you the gameplay is fun, but try an go to the content your self an you get frustrated by your lack of functioning legs.

Firstly you can't mount anything beside a horse, so having both a max level pet an a horse out is impossible. An even if you do use a low level horse with a lower level pet you can't even move at max speed with your horse because than you'll out run your pet and lose it some were as it fails to keep up with you, plus now your running around on a horse with only 100 HP than anything can two shot.

Next only bears and horses can have pet bags, so if you have any pet beside a bear you need to bring a horse to carry what you hunt or gather and considering you can't do much effectively with out pet bags your kinda forced to always have a horse even if you want to just bring snapping turtle.

Than pets are notorious for getting themselves stuck on the dumest things when following you an they can't cross water. So basically it your pets will get stuck on a rock an now your spending 10-30 mins trying to get it unstuck while waiting for a GM to TP your pet out of the rock for you. An with not being able to cross water well say my destination just on the other side of a small river all I have to do is cross the river an walk 5 mins to reach were I want to go, well with a pet no they can't cross water so instead of being a 5 minute trip you now have to find another way around the river which can take almost an hour depending on were the river is in the map.

To sum it up pets are strong in combat but because of the above issues pets are useless majority of your time playing the game infact there just frustrating to baby sit majority of the time as well. An all it would take to fix these issues would be for SV to add more pet bags to all tamable creatures in the game, and make every pet be ridable. I'm not even asking for other pet mounts to be as fast a horse either I just want to be able to control the things movement so it can cross rivers and so I can an prevent it from getting stuck or have a better tool for my self to get it unstuck other than contacting a GM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goremor

Hooves

Nov 30, 2020
I agree that pet pathing is buggy and it would be sweet to ride a dire wolf.

I’m sure once SV reintroduces “realistic” bull horses that bite for 40s or unkillable super-lykiators, you can have a rideable OP pet to do the fighting for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Najwalaylah

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I think the footbound aspect of pet builds is kind of good. It's a limitation to the massive power those builds offer. Mounted builds should either exclusively have access to weaker pets, or have to ride strong pets as a suboptimal mount. Anything that makes a high-tier combat pet should be slow or have stam pool/regen issues when used as a mount.

For instance, the way I hope they balance ridable campadons is to make them very fast, with a big stam pool, and painfully slow stam regen. That way they can have terrifying charges the way they did IRL. But crossing the map with them is a pain in the butt. Also while they would be devastating in battle they would wear out and become a fairly vulnerable target if you had too long of a fight where you burned stam too recklessly.

The bugs are of-course, a massive issue. And more pets are intended to have gear options than currently do.

Last edited:

Vrenmar

Nov 21, 2020
Combat pet armor is planned. We know from previous streams bear armor will be in at some point. I think its a matter or them modeling for it. Imo pet template will be rather gimp until breeding and we have the ability to make new pets from scratch. It takes many hours of idling in town to get a good level pet which will die in a few hits from MA.

The business and glitches with pets has come along way from beta days but there is still room for improvement.