Parries, Blocks, and Shields

Tekk

Apr 5, 2021
Shields and parries need more to them.
I suggest:
  1. Giving parries a smaller time window for an attack to be a parry. Give shields a longer parry window.
  2. Giving a penalty for when someone parries at the wrong time (kind of like when you miss a swing or hit the ground).
  3. Parrying with a weapon continuously consumes a small amount of stam while shields do not.
  4. Allow weapons to only be able to parry certain weapons while allowing shields to be able to parry all weapons.
  5. Don’t allow any blocks for weapons.
  6. Allow shield bash/push to be done even after parrying. Maybe have a stronger push after parrying as well.
  7. Allow polearms to be used with shields, but have a system like using weapons while mounted like you can only use polearms whose weight is x% of your strength (I.e. if your strength is 121, then you can only use a polearm that has a weight of 4kg or less.
  8. Give certain races the ability to use a 2H sword with a shield (like Thursar) but have a weight limit or more stam drain.
  9. Give shield bash aggro mechanics for PvE.
  10. People with shields should not get or give a counter reduction penalty.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Give shield a better counter reduction? 5-10% better.

Maybe tweak the counter reduction for every weapon to be slightly different. It could increase the variety and depth of crafting.

Tekk

Apr 5, 2021
Give shield a better counter reduction? 5-10% better.

Maybe tweak the counter reduction for every weapon to be slightly different. It could increase the variety and depth of crafting.
Shields don’t need extra counter reduction. They have natural damage reduction called “equipment hits”.

Raknor

Sep 14, 2021
Hyllspeia
number 7 seems a bit too much (polearms with shields)
number 8 same, guess special combination of handle/blade could be used (i.e. bastard sword)

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
I dont support #4.

#8 is just called they need to give us MO1 crafting so we can put a 2h blade on a 1h hilt if we want to, if our character has the str to swing it.

#10 is weird. You shouldnt not get a coutner hit because they had a shield, makes no sense.

Thing that really bugs me about combat and blocking in this game. Wep equipment hits for 0 feels like trash. Swinging at their back and having it claim 0 equip is garbage. This game isnt mordhau, equip hits for 0 feel really bad. Because they never intentionally got that equip hit with their weapon.

Reactions: Tzone

bbihah

Jul 10, 2020
Would make better sense that shields can't get the benefit of counter, but can parry just as well as you can with a weapon with possible other bonuses like stam cost etc. The main draw should be that the shields should have a damage absorption based on its materials to hits landing in your blocking arc even if you you don't successfully parry.

Shields should obviously break faster(much much faster than currently), and certain weapons should deal extra damage to them. Axes and halberds mainly.

That is mainly the trope most fighting games have with shields anyway.

Reactions: Tzone

Sayton

Mar 24, 2021
#2&5- could work I guess, would be interesting to test
#4 - everyone would need to use shields
#7 - Polearm + shield makes no sense. How would that even work?

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Tekk

Apr 5, 2021
I dont support #4.

#8 is just called they need to give us MO1 crafting so we can put a 2h blade on a 1h hilt if we want to, if our character has the str to swing it.

#10 is weird. You shouldnt not get a coutner hit because they had a shield, makes no sense.

Thing that really bugs me about combat and blocking in this game. Wep equipment hits for 0 feels like trash. Swinging at their back and having it claim 0 equip is garbage. This game isnt mordhau, equip hits for 0 feel really bad. Because they never intentionally got that equip hit with their weapon.
You must be a bone weapon user.

Tekk

Apr 5, 2021
Would make better sense that shields can't get the benefit of counter, but can parry just as well as you can with a weapon with possible other bonuses like stam cost etc. The main draw should be that the shields should have a damage absorption based on its materials to hits landing in your blocking arc even if you you don't successfully parry.

Shields should obviously break faster(much much faster than currently), and certain weapons should deal extra damage to them. Axes and halberds mainly.

That is mainly the trope most fighting games have with shields anyway.
Shields are weak against blunt. So certain axes and hammers are pretty good against shields.

Tekk

Apr 5, 2021
#2&5- could work I guess, would be interesting to test
#4 - everyone would need to use shields
#7 - Polearm + shield makes no sense. How would that even work?

People can use shields if they want, but they still wouldn’t. 1h weapons are too short and don’t deal as much damage.
As far as polearm plus shield, i would imagine it would only work with characters of certain sizes. The poleaxe would act more of a spear with a good right swing and a polesword would act a lot like SnS. Thursars are huge.
Does it look more natural for someone bigger than Shaq to use a small 1h sword with a shield or a polesword with a shield?