one character per account .....

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
We can’t let that happen as a community and we need to bring this accusation to @Henrik Nyström so he can address it. The only possible way to stop this is to make your account bound to your IP address. This means you will need a computer per account and not everyone has that financial luxury.

To avoid The multiple subs the best solution is 2 characters per account and 1 account per IP address.
No thanks. I am trying to get my wife to play.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Tzone

May 16, 2021
We can’t let that happen as a community and we need to bring this accusation to @Henrik Nyström so he can address it. The only possible way to stop this is to make your account bound to your IP address. This means you will need a computer per account and not everyone has that financial luxury.

To avoid The multiple subs the best solution is 2 characters per account and 1 account per IP address.
There is no way to stop it. You can VPN. Also multiple people per household play the game. Spouses and parent children do play this game. Also you can run the game in a VM to make sure not one account per PC.

The closest you can get is asking people for their Identification to make one account per person but this requires a lot of work inspecting every player account and forcing them to send you pictures of their govt issue IDs. Lot of people will not send in their ID to SV especially after their bad track record with safe guarding player data. Even then you can just use fake IDs.

EZgold

Jan 28, 2021
It's not a money grab tactic. There are far more effective ways of extracting value out of a game's playerbase. This single character model isn't one of them and neither are subs.
I am sorry, let me rephrase: "while it's not the most offending money grab tactic, it is DEFINITELY a money grab tactic"

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California
I am sorry, let me rephrase: "while it's not the most offending money grab tactic, it is DEFINITELY a money grab tactic"
The inherent problem with your stance, and that of everybody else who makes it is that you are 100% assuming and assigning intent upon the developers that this change was made to encourage people to buy more accounts, when in fact that is the opposite of what Henrik is on record saying multiple times, and is the reason they have made changes to profession points and the way certain systems work like 70 skill crafting among other things.

You can feel however you want about it, personally I think they should consider reroll options of some kind, but when people post on here about "money grabs" etc they are making false claims against the design choices of the game, and the intent of the devs, and often conflating underhanded design choices with actual incompetence.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
If they wanted more money then they would have made 2 chars per account because people would be more likely to by extra accounts if its +2 for 15 bucks each time.

EZgold

Jan 28, 2021
The inherent problem with your stance, and that of everybody else who makes it is that you are 100% assuming and assigning intent upon the developers that this change was made to encourage people to buy more accounts, when in fact that is the opposite of what Henrik is on record saying multiple times, and is the reason they have made changes to profession points and the way certain systems work like 70 skill crafting among other things.

You can feel however you want about it, personally I think they should consider reroll options of some kind, but when people post on here about "money grabs" etc they are making false claims against the design choices of the game, and the intent of the devs, and often conflating underhanded design choices with actual incompetence.
I dont have to assume anything when I can see the result of their work. The result is in MO2 you need to pay double to have about the same as in MO1 (assumming in MO1 you were interested in having exactly 2 fighter and 2 crafter chars. and less mobility).

But the cheekiest telltale is them saying one character will solve the character hopping in fights and sieges and having multiple characters in multiple towns when in fact it is all negated by the ability (and encouragement) to buy even more accounts.

EZgold

Jan 28, 2021
If they wanted more money then they would have made 2 chars per account because people would be more likely to by extra accounts if its +2 for 15 bucks each time.
Of course they want "more money". But how they go about towards that goal is what matters. As it stands we only have 1 character per account and no easy way of experiencing all 4 clades (and the multitude of clade combinations) without rerolling and losing everything in the process. It boggles my mind why they decided to spend time and resources implementing the character cleanup, and it can be thousands of items to delete spread in tens of categories for just one character, when they could just not do it and have a happier customer. I say it's a greedy money grab when you are forced to pay more to have mostly the same you had before.

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
I have a suggestion, an example for @Henrik Nyström to borrow from RIFT, that will address the issues outlined below.
(For those who just can't accept and see dire flaws-- some very real-- in the way it's been planned):
  • Two souls.
    • The Perfect Deva.
One character,
one name,
one reputation,
maybe even one bloodline choice
per ONE account;

spend as much of your personal time as you wish building 'two souls'.

You log in from ONE location, without using log-in to move across the map. You must re-log to switch. You pay ONE sub, or several, but you get ONE psersona with two sets of equipped gear (just what you can wear, and carry-- it's not much) and ONE bank per location, to be shared by both.

(I agree with some quotations, and disagree with others.)
people are willing to have more than one account and by-pass the system
The system is that you can buy more than one account, and that's it. That's the system. It's been discussed before how unfeasible it is to make it impossible to do so. You'll have to live with the possibility.
make your account bound to your IP address. This means you will need a computer per account and not everyone has that financial luxury.

No way. People move, they evacuate, they change ISPS, they share computers, they share IP addresses, and that has been discussed until any ordinary idea would have given up infecting people. Why won't this one die?
The only inflexibility right now is your bloodline choice plus that of your personal time. Everything else about your character is and or will be changeable, including age and height with potions etc.
Having two different sets of skills, or ONE and a half (if you prefer to keep your Crafting the same and change your elite skills, only-- for instance) would save players a lot of time.
  • Maybe some folks would change nothing about the additional Body except to give it a different hairstyle. Flexibility is best.
Commitment is important for this kind of game where reputation is key and your role in the world is more defined by your ability to perform certain tasks. If you're an indecisive person or have issues committing to one role in particular, then of course this is going to be a hard pill to swallow.
@Woody is essentiallly correct in every word above. However, many people are asking for some wiggle room, and that leass us to:
your position is understandable and something that has already been discussed at length on the forums. I think this is one of those things where people are just going to have to suck it up for what it is.
There are perceptible problems with how things are set up right now.
they'll just log off till the group is on. sooner or later, the entire group is doing that and we lose that many players. in henrik's vision quest maybe people would retool their builds to be less min/max but thats really not how people operate.
@barcode is right; it's really not how most folks operate. Less min/max is supported by some very good players, but some people will never see it the way those others do, and those people will always min/max-- just like some will do anything else they can do 'to win' (though what's tried in the name of winning doesn't always work).

• I'm pretty sure, though, that it's fear of failure (not actual failure) that keeps people trapped in the fallacy "that you can't be both viable in group and (in) solo play".
There's a whole separate argument surrounding the notion that you cant be both viable in group and solo play, which is a complete fallacy. You have every opportunity to play a role that is capable in both aspects and furthermore, you don't have to min max everything - this is the entire point of having skill/attribute caps and that of hybrids.
But Mortal Online 2 is a typical Star Vault game (not that there's anything necessarily 'wrong' with this) that continues following a Road Map that leads far beyond where Beta ends.

Attempts are made at balancing things both before, and after they are introduced. There's really no guarantee that introducing (for the second, or the first time) something long-envisioned for the game won't cause imbalance, or even breakage.
  • I coined the portmanteau word "brix" for MO1: a Fix that Breaks stuff.
History of Star Vault game development shows us this, and it means flexibility is very desirable. Ideally, there'd be something you could do with ONE of you that had Skills that weren't needing to be revamped, while you worked on revamping the others with number TWO.
  • It would be extraordinarily nice if, in re-rolling the other aspects of your 'oops, we gimped you' character, you didn't have to touch your hard-earned & expensive crafting knowledge.
It is gonna be hilarious when SV changes something that gimps a bunch of people's singular character and they have to choose between playing it, reskilling all that tedious and expensive crafting skill, get another account, or play a different game.
They changed major things that virtually required a reroll several times over the years in MO1
Yes; yes, they did.
I really wish I'd have the chance of having more than 1 character just so I can experience other playstyles while playing the game
Two 'souls', as available in RIFT, would take care of that without introducing the problems of being logged out in two different places, or having double the bank space.
  • Fast travel is bad in a world built for One Character.
the problem with how mo1 with 4 Chars was because you can have 3-4 Chars geared and ready to go and just swap over when you die or be able to change char and now you are on the other side of the map
'Two of you' being geared and equally ready to go (still as beat up or hungry or low on reserves as you were before selecting the Other Soul, though) would not be game-breaking. Especially if you were in the same place.
I can agree that "One character to rule them all" is actually more fair game play (on many levels). But when it all can be circumvented by simply having another (several) accounts everything falls down on its face
Then I guess everything's going to fall on its face.

Because there's no feasible way to absolutely keep people from having more than one account.

ONE Deva, Two Souls. That's the best solution involving anything close to 'two characters per account' that I can consider.

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

May 28, 2020
37.76655478735988, -122.48572468757628
I dont have to assume anything when I can see the result of their work. The result is in MO2 you need to pay double to have about the same as in MO1 (assumming in MO1 you were interested in having exactly 2 fighter and 2 crafter chars. and less mobility).

But the cheekiest telltale is them saying one character will solve the character hopping in fights and sieges and having multiple characters in multiple towns when in fact it is all negated by the ability (and encouragement) to buy even more accounts.
Really tempted to tell you to "go play MO1, then".

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Having two different sets of skills, or ONE and a half (if you prefer to keep your Crafting the same and change your elite skills, only-- for instance) would save players a lot of time.
Maybe some folks would change nothing about the additional Body except to give it a different hairstyle. Flexibility is best.

Multi-spec or ease of re-spec while convenient, unwittingly removes identity from your character which I think in the case of MO2, trumps convenience.

But Mortal Online 2 is a typical Star Vault game (not that there's anything necessarily 'wrong' with this) that continues following a Road Map that leads far beyond where Beta ends.
Attempts are made at balancing things both before, and after they are introduced. There's really no guarantee that introducing (for the second, or the first time) something long-envisioned for the game won't cause imbalance, or even breakage.
  • I coined the portmanteau word "brix" for MO1: a Fix that Breaks stuff.
History of Star Vault game development shows us this, and it means flexibility is very ddesirable.Ideally, there'd be something you could do with ONE of you that had Skills that weren't needing to be revamped, while you worked on revamping the others.
  • It would be extraordinaily nice if, in re-rolling the other aspects of your 'oops, we gimped you' character, you didn't have to touch your hard-earned & expensive crafting knowledge.

I'm not sure how this could be achieved fairly when they change something about a primary skill, perhaps anyone with 70+ primary skill points in that skill gets the ability to reallocate said points into any other skill without having to level it up. Though this presents it's own issues when it comes to more difficult to train skills.

They could do this easily enough through server downtime/maintenance windows and database scripts.

Bernfred

Sep 12, 2020
i would like to see that you have a "shape shift center" in the bigger towns where you can transform your BODY, including stats and action skill points into a 2nd form of yourself, with a cooldown of one day in between.
you keep you race, name and everything in your pants but you will be able to switch between 2 different combat builds without going into the hassle of reskilling for weeks, depending on your RL time and nerves.
this would also lead to a better PvP experience when peeps have more specialized chars.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
Maybe a quick learning system. Wehn you already had the skills that you can relearn them 50times faster. Like prestige skill system.
IF you drop the primary to 0 And than wanna skill it up that its much much faster now because you already had that levelt to 100 10times.

Clade change option, like they had the appearance change token in MO1.
Wouldn't that be a good solution.

I personally love the 1char system. because people are now think twice before they slay noobs and grief them out of the game.
I alos see the limited possiblities and maybe star vault will change the skill point system to a system like described with relearnign and stuff.
Or maybe something like the god of nave after delivering epic items gives you a token were you can change your clade or something like that.
Problem solved.

tal0s

Sep 5, 2021
this is ... essentially the same idea just done from the character menu rather than in-game. it could work this way as well, but only if you dont call them 'characters' because otherwise you clash with henrik's vision quest. perhaps 'reflections' or 'aspects' of a character that you can pick from. honestly its probably less cumbersome for SV to implement as well

well its true i mentioned it as a rare drop but certainly the rarity can be 'tweeked' as henrik would say.

extra skill points are only one portion of a character. if you want to swap between a melee toon to a mage, more than likely your str/int/psy will be radically different, to say the least of your race and chosen clades. something like this sounds like a half measure at best.

-barcode
They dont want you to rapidly switch. Its supposed to be a long progression you shouldn't be able to just master one thing than another thing etc.. That's not the simulation they are looking for.

Lufan

Sep 21, 2021
1 character is the way to go. Its the right choice imo.
Not for new players that don't know nothing about the game man, people wanna try out stuff, having this 1 char limit might ruin some of their experience and make them regret certain choices, especially when lvling would be 100 times slower.

Edit: I mean, if the players will have an option to reset their char - try a different build - have a chance to revert to what it used to be, I'm down with 1 char per account, and also having this IP limit per account so other people wont get any advantage over others.

Last edited:

Balvrikk

Jun 30, 2020
Someone has purpose keeping "one"character per account but knowing alot of the population will pay for another account. Keep it the $40 and make it so your accounts are linked and show up together in game. so you at least don't need to log out of steam and log into another to swap to another char.

Reactions: Rorry

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
Someone has purpose keeping "one"character per account but knowing alot of the population will pay for another account. Keep it the $40 and make it so your accounts are linked and show up together in game. so you at least don't need to log out of steam and log into another to swap to another char.
The whole point is to discourage that kind of gameplay. Why would Henrik just cave in and encourage people to do the exact opposite of what he said his vision for the game should be?

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
SV already had issues with information in the past. So many are still not comfortable with providing them with info again.

Their best bet is leaving the accounts and billing up to steam.

This way they can distance themselves from those types of things and concentrate on making the game itself instead.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
Game would be dead on arrival if they even entertained this idea. You want to break down the barriers to entering a game not increase them. Steam is a prime example of being an enabler to this extent.

Lol just imagine trying to justify to a new player trying your game that they need to verify proof of identity first haha.