one character per account .....

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
one character per account is horribly limiting.... and while i dont see SV relenting on this ideal, maybe we can boil it down to 'why' and come up with more flexible solutions.

so... why one character per account
  • player reputation - people get to know your character name over time and know what to expect from you
  • in-game rep - you cant dodge 'red' status by swapping toons
  • more reliance on others for trade; you dont have separate toons for each profession
are there other reasons? all of these can be avoided by simply subbing multiple accounts but most new players wont do that (most vets, however, absolutely will)

so whats the downside?
  • locked into a single combat playstyle at a time.
  • locked to a single set of clade gifts
  • rerolling deletes all items in all your banks, so while right now it might be simple to pass some gold to a friend to hold for your reroll, later on it may require visiting several banks or risk the loss of substantial wealth that has been accrued on a toon
  • build experimentation (not just minor changes but swapping role from say melee fighter to mage) requires a significant time investment to 'just see' if you like it while costing you that same time again to swap back if you do not, not to mention time lost to ineffectiveness while your character is still being rebuilt
surely there are more but this is enough for now. It makes changing your combat playstyle a costly operation and if you want to switch clades, an extremely costly one at that.

so instead, sv can create a new resource, a rare drop of some kind capable of storing a portion of your toon's DEVA. when used (or perhaps with the help of a spiritist?) it will store your clade gifts (including race/ancestry), action skills, and all attributes after which you will be logged out and upon login will go to the character creation screens with the one caveat that your name is locked. Your new toon spawns in right where you left and the rare item you used has turned into a partial phylactery or other mystical object that can be used later to swap back to your old build.

there should be a cooldown of some kind when using any of these objects, and some limit to how many can exist for a character (your deva can only be stretched so far). but will allow for much easier experimentation with builds. you keep all your rep between players and npcs and you dont get new profession points to limit self-sufficiency from crafting

lots of things to consider... how difficult is it to attain these items? should they be reusable? how long should the cooldown be? should the cost increase with the number of stored devas? what should be the limit of stored devas? any number of things that could affect the balance.

at any rate it should allow players to be able to quickly swap between playstyles without shedding their reputation (be it good or bad) and spur more creativity in trying out different builds since the cost is effectively reduced. it may reduce the number of vets with multiple accounts but i think is overall a good thing, especially for new players who have not tried many builds and would like to experiment a bit

-barcode

D

Dracu

Or maybe multiple characters that share everything from name to position in the world reputation/Percentage of HP etc etc etc. The only difference is the „character build“. That would still offer all the pros of 1 character rule while also removing the major downsides.

A cooldown when changing character of 1-2 hours perhaps so its not just switcheroo at sieges. But still good enough to switch around atleast once or twice in a normal play session.

Chef

Sep 17, 2021
one character per account is horribly limiting.... and while i dont see SV relenting on this ideal, maybe we can boil it down to 'why' and come up with more flexible solutions.

• player reputation - people get to know your character name over time and know what to expect from you
  • more reliance on others for trade; you dont have separate toons for each profession
are there other reasons? all of these can be avoided by simply subbing multiple accounts but most new players wont do that (most vets, however, absolutely will)

so whats the downside?
  • rerolling deletes all items in all your banks, so while right now it might be simple to pass some gold to a friend to hold for your reroll, later on it may require visiting several banks or risk the loss of substantial wealth that has been accrued on a toon
  • build experimentation (not just minor changes but swapping role from say melee fighter to mage) requires a significant time investment to 'just see' if you like it while costing you that same time again to swap back if you do not, not to mention time lost to ineffectiveness while your character is still being rebuilt
surely there are more but this is enough for now. It makes changing your combat playstyle a costly operation and if you want to switch clades, an extremely costly one at that.

so instead, sv can create a new resource, a rare drop of some kind capable of storing a portion of your toon's DEVA. when used (or perhaps with the help of a spiritist?) it will store your clade gifts (including race/ancestry), action skills, and all attributes after which you will be logged out and upon login will go to the character creation screens with the one caveat that your name is locked. Your new toon spawns in right where you left and the rare item you used has turned into a partial phylactery or other mystical object that can be used later to swap back to your old build.

there should be a cooldown of some kind when using any of these objects, and some limit to how many can exist for a character (your deva can only be stretched so far). but will allow for much easier experimentation with builds. you keep all your rep between players and npcs and you dont get new profession points to limit self-sufficiency from crafting

lots of things to consider... how difficult is it to attain these items? should they be reusable? how long should the cooldown be? should the cost increase with the number of stored devas? what should be the limit of stored devas? any number of things that could affect the balance.

at any rate it should allow players to be able to quickly swap between playstyles without shedding their reputation (be it good or bad) and spur more creativity in trying out different builds since the cost is effectively reduced. it may reduce the number of vets with multiple accounts but i think is overall a good thing, especially for new players who have not tried many builds and would like to experiment a bit

-barcode
You are free to reroll/reskill your character at any time.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
The only down side is not explerincing a variety of playstyles. Playstyles are most of this game content. People will get bored of one playstyle eventually. Which most of the games main content will run out if players are bored of their character.

There will be a way to redo clade points easily, and then Henrik also wants to add the ability to reroll items in game.

KermyWormy

May 29, 2020
California

so whats the downside?

-barcode
I think you nailed the majority of the talking points on the topic.

The only thing I would add is that, in my opinion, this item should not be a rare drop, and should not ever be an impractical or impossible option for any player with the intent to buy/use it. I think this is the rare case where I would advocate for an actual NPC vendor item. Alternatively It could be purchased within a similar veteran point system like the old game had.

As most who are looking for a solution to the shortcomings of the 1 character system, the idea I think is that the ability to switch an action skill/race/clade gift loadout needs to be an available option for all as the player evolves and becomes interested in exploring different aspects of the game, and the game itself is balanced and evolves overtime. Relying on a rare drop and the varying states of the in game economy and other players to dictate the price would inevitably price certain players out of the system, and I think that ought to be avoided because it will discourage people in some scenarios, and even tho they'd like to keep subbing and playing the game, if that rare item is priced out of their grasp or too difficult to obtain, they will end up quitting and do something else with their time and money.

The option is already there to control the use and abuse of such an item thru various cooldowns and restrictions that the price of the item itself need not be difficult.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
Give us 2200 Combat Points on our Character, but only 1100 active and 1100 deactivated Points

More then 1100 active Skillpoints would make the Characters too strong, so this limit is important, but i would love to be able to learn 2200 Points, with the option do activate and deactivate infividual Skills in Town, so that you can have 1100 activated Skillpoints and 1100 deactivated Skillpoints.

This would allow you switch between 2 Builds. Between a Mage and a Tamer, or between a Footfighter and mounted Character. Between a Mage or a Footfighter, depending what is needed to make your group constalation work out well.

Pve without a mage is bad. PVP without a Worriors or some Alvarians with the speed to finish of the low Players is bad. A Footfightergroup full of mages or in which half of the people are moutned worriors is bad aswell.

I think this is very important, if we have a 1 Character Policy, or you are too limited in your playstyle. For some Monsters it was necessary to attack the mobs from mount and so on.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
Or maybe multiple characters that share everything from name to position in the world reputation/Percentage of HP etc etc etc. The only difference is the „character build“. That would still offer all the pros of 1 character rule while also removing the major downsides.

A cooldown when changing character of 1-2 hours perhaps so its not just switcheroo at sieges. But still good enough to switch around atleast once or twice in a normal play session.
this is ... essentially the same idea just done from the character menu rather than in-game. it could work this way as well, but only if you dont call them 'characters' because otherwise you clash with henrik's vision quest. perhaps 'reflections' or 'aspects' of a character that you can pick from. honestly its probably less cumbersome for SV to implement as well

I think you nailed the majority of the talking points on the topic.

The only thing I would add is that, in my opinion, this item should not be a rare drop, and should not ever be an impractical or impossible option for any player with the intent to buy/use it. I think this is the rare case where I would advocate for an actual NPC vendor item. Alternatively It could be purchased within a similar veteran point system like the old game had.

As most who are looking for a solution to the shortcomings of the 1 character system, the idea I think is that the ability to switch an action skill/race/clade gift loadout needs to be an available option for all as the player evolves and becomes interested in exploring different aspects of the game, and the game itself is balanced and evolves overtime. Relying on a rare drop and the varying states of the in game economy and other players to dictate the price would inevitably price certain players out of the system, and I think that ought to be avoided because it will discourage people in some scenarios, and even tho they'd like to keep subbing and playing the game, if that rare item is priced out of their grasp or too difficult to obtain, they will end up quitting and do something else with their time and money.

The option is already there to control the use and abuse of such an item thru various cooldowns and restrictions that the price of the item itself need not be difficult.
well its true i mentioned it as a rare drop but certainly the rarity can be 'tweeked' as henrik would say.

Give us 2200 Combat Points on our Character, but only 1100 active and 1100 deactivated Points

More then 1100 active Skillpoints would make the Characters too strong, so this limit is important, but i would love to be able to learn 2200 Points, with the option do activate and deactivate infividual Skills in Town, so that you can have 1100 activated Skillpoints and 1100 deactivated Skillpoints.

This would allow you switch between 2 Builds. Between a Mage and a Tamer, or between a Footfighter and mounted Character. Between a Mage or a Footfighter, depending what is needed to make your group constalation work out well.

Pve without a mage is bad. PVP without a Worriors or some Alvarians with the speed to finish of the low Players is bad. A Footfightergroup full of mages or in which half of the people are moutned worriors is bad aswell.

I think this is very important, if we have a 1 Character Policy, or you are too limited in your playstyle. For some Monsters it was necessary to attack the mobs from mount and so on.
extra skill points are only one portion of a character. if you want to swap between a melee toon to a mage, more than likely your str/int/psy will be radically different, to say the least of your race and chosen clades. something like this sounds like a half measure at best.

-barcode

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
No, the current approach is fine and comes with a fair amount of merit in it's intent to promote a healthy community dynamic through reputation and meaningful character choice. Personally I'm happy with this decision and in my book it's pros outweigh the cons.

The only inflexibility right now is your bloodline choice plus that of your personal time. Everything else about your character is and or will be changeable, including age and height with potions etc.

Commitment is important for this kind of game where reputation is key and your role in the world is more defined by your ability to perform certain tasks. If you're an indecisive person or have issues committing to one role in particular, then of course this is going to be a hard pill to swallow.

barcode

Jun 2, 2020
No, the current approach is fine and comes with a fair amount of merit in it's intent to promote a healthy community dynamic through reputation and meaningful character choice. Personally I'm happy with this decision and in my book it's pros outweigh the cons.

The only inflexibility right now is your bloodline choice plus that of your personal time. Everything else about your character is and or will be changeable, including age and height with potions etc.

Commitment is important for this kind of game where reputation is key and your role in the world is more defined by your ability to perform certain tasks. If you're an indecisive person or have issues committing to one role in particular, then of course this is going to be a hard pill to swallow.
have to disagree here. this is more like the 'dark nights' that henrik wanted. some few people were amazed 'omg i couldnt see shit, it was like real night!' and bumped around for a bit but it got old *fast*. people didnt grab a torch and venture out at night to explore the ambiance only to be ganked by neigh invisible adversaries that turned up their gamma (thus negating the dark nights), they simply logged off instead because fuck that.

same thing here. people with tune their builds with a group in mind and find themselves with nothing to do when the group isn't on. they can't tool around with new builds or have a more solo focused build, they'll just log off till the group is on. sooner or later, the entire group is doing that and we lose that many players. in henrik's vision quest maybe people would retool their builds to be less min/max but thats really not how people operate.

its a fact that we need things to do in game and building/skilling your toon is one of the big ones. grizzled vets will just buy more accounts, but will the casuals?

-barcode

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
have to disagree here. this is more like the 'dark nights' that henrik wanted. some few people were amazed 'omg i couldnt see shit, it was like real night!' and bumped around for a bit but it got old *fast*. people didnt grab a torch and venture out at night to explore the ambiance only to be ganked by neigh invisible adversaries that turned up their gamma (thus negating the dark nights), they simply logged off instead because fuck that.

same thing here. people with tune their builds with a group in mind and find themselves with nothing to do when the group isn't on. they can't tool around with new builds or have a more solo focused build, they'll just log off till the group is on. sooner or later, the entire group is doing that and we lose that many players. in henrik's vision quest maybe people would retool their builds to be less min/max but thats really not how people operate.

its a fact that we need things to do in game and building/skilling your toon is one of the big ones. grizzled vets will just buy more accounts, but will the casuals?

-barcode

Not a great analogy but sure, ultimately your position is understandable and something that has already been discussed at length on the forums. I think this is one of those things where people are just going to have to suck it up for what it is.

There's a whole separate argument surrounding the notion that you cant be both viable in group and solo play, which is a complete fallacy. You have every opportunity to play a role that is capable in both aspects and furthermore, you don't have to min max everything - this is the entire point of having skill/attribute caps and that of hybrids.

Rorry

May 30, 2020
Kansas
It is gonna be hilarious when SV changes something that gimps a bunch of people's singular character and they have to choose between playing it, reskilling all that tedious and expensive crafting skill, get another account, or play a different game.
They changed major things that virtually required a reroll several times over the years in MO1, but it wasn't a big deal to reroll a non crafter char then as it is now.

Lufan

Sep 21, 2021
I'm up for that, if you ask me it should be more of a random encounter, like probabilitty the angel of death will show up while you ride around all alone in a certain area zone like:
Choose if you want to die and be able to reset your build or if you wish to live and keep it or w/e.. a deal with the devil or some :D

I really wish I'd have the chance of having more than 1 character just so I can experience other playstyles while playing the game, having the option to revert would be even cooler.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
This is something i would actually let SV implement as a paid service. A character reset where you have to keep the same name but you are able to pick a new race. You get to keep all your stuff and all your skills ( you can always manually subtract primary skill points if you re rolling to a different class).

if you want to change name then you have to re roll the normal way and deal with the hassle of having someone hold all your stuff and so forth.

Reactions: Rorry

Lufan

Sep 21, 2021
This is something i would actually let SV implement as a paid service. A character reset where you have to keep the same name but you are able to pick a new race. You get to keep all your stuff and all your skills ( you can always manually subtract primary skill points if you re rolling to a different class).

if you want to change name then you have to re roll the normal way and deal with the hassle of having someone hold all your stuff and so forth.

You already pay for subscription and besides that people are willing to have more than one account and by-pass the system, I don't really think it should be a paid thing.

Tbh I'm even for 2 characters per account, I really wish to try out another char and not to play as bowman all the time even tho it sounds cool enough, but I still want the option for variety.

Reactions: Dracu

Serverus

May 28, 2020
Moh’ki
It’s sounds very complicated this system he suggested. Just make it simple and give us 2 characters per account. No need to sugar coat it with ice cream and cherries on top lol. @Henrik Nyström

Last edited:

Balvrikk

Jun 30, 2020
I think there should be two chairs per account that's it so you are allowed two play styles at least. But the problem with how mo1 with 4 Chars was because you can have 3-4 Chars geared and ready to go and just swap over when you die or be able to change char and now you are on the other side of the map. Also I can't say how many people ran multiple accounts in mo1 and in now but I think it's a very high amount of the players on both game. But In the first game you now have 8 chars to rage war with or have planted around. Have another account is common place and having more then one char compounds the usefulness of multiple accounts. If that makes any sense

Kameyo

Aug 14, 2020
SV is practically encouraging us to buy more accounts. And if subs start to drop after a few months an extra character would be a great card to play. I see it as a gamble to extract as many multiple subs out of us as possible in the hopes this is not offset by some people quitting over only having the one.

EZgold

Jan 28, 2021
I can agree that "One character to rule them all" is actually more fair game play (on many levels). But when it all can be circumvented by simply having another (several) accounts everything falls down on its face and you see it's all just a money grab tactic.

Unless we can have free and reasonably timely options to reborn (!) without losing anything (same name obviously) I dont see how they can say it's an improvement compared to what we had in MO1.

I propose a free reborn after one week of play time and payment with some form of ingame currency if less than a week.
Reborn means character reroll with keeping everything unchanged including name (banks, stables, skills, clade gifts XP, location).
Having to retrain your attributes and obviously most of your skills is enough of a time snare to call it fair.

Woody

Apr 4, 2021
I can agree that "One character to rule them all" is actually more fair game play (on many levels). But when it all can be circumvented by simply having another (several) accounts everything falls down on its face and you see it's all just a money grab tactic.

It's not a money grab tactic. There are far more effective ways of extracting value out of a game's playerbase. This single character model isn't one of them and neither are subs.

Serverus

May 28, 2020
Moh’ki
SV is practically encouraging us to buy more accounts. And if subs start to drop after a few months an extra character would be a great card to play. I see it as a gamble to extract as many multiple subs out of us as possible in the hopes this is not offset by some people quitting over only having the one.
We can’t let that happen as a community and we need to bring this accusation to @Henrik Nyström so he can address it. The only possible way to stop this is to make your account bound to your IP address. This means you will need a computer per account and not everyone has that financial luxury.

To avoid The multiple subs the best solution is 2 characters per account and 1 account per IP address.