Old Race Art and Lore

Darran

May 28, 2020
Really wish MO 2 would follow old concept art, but I guess things change 😅 Being a veteran who as been looking at MO 1 concept art for 10 years this is how I think the game should look like

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I really wish we'd get a bit more lore. I made a topic about it awhile back but like... what is a Veela name supposed to sound like? Heurgar? Sidoian?

Would be cool to see them have a lore guy who adds a new lore blog once a week and some of it gets populated onto the website. Maybe an occasional lore Q and A on twitch so we have more of a sense for these kinds of things.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020
I think NPc´s should tell more about the Lore. Some NPC´s sell rare books.
You should be able to speak to the NPC and be able to choose between two options. I want to buy something, or I want to know something about the rare book ... Then the NPC could answer that he is not selling this book for gold. That you have to bring him rare items or trophies and tell us something about the monsters' lore and about the Place we can find those creatures.

Anabolic Man

Sep 7, 2020

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
Show, don´t tell.

Currently the world lacks character. It needs asset that are specific to the world, assets that tell a story without some two-liner from NPCs that get old fast.

Adding ruins, strange symbols, artficial rock formations etc. does much more to create an atmosphere of wonder.

I am concerned about the lack of artwork for MO2 and I think not giving the 3-D anything to work with is a bad idea and it shows.

Reactions: Skydancer

Darran

May 28, 2020
Show, don´t tell.

Currently the world lacks character. It needs asset that are specific to the world, assets that tell a story without some two-liner from NPCs that get old fast.

Adding ruins, strange symbols, artficial rock formations etc. does much more to create an atmosphere of wonder.

I am concerned about the lack of artwork for MO2 and I think not giving the 3-D anything to work with is a bad idea and it shows.

Thiiiis, while the world looks very good it has zero character and when running in a forest there is no way of knowing where you are because you see the exact same 5 rocks and 5 trees repeated randomly for hundreds of meters. It's good for a first layer, but now someone has to go through the world and actually make places look unique.

You could almost think the world is procedurally generated at the moment.

Reactions: KermyWormy

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Show, don´t tell.

The problem is, when they hand us a blank world and expect us to puzzle it out. Our characters that were born to a certain culture with certain naming conventions don't know what names from our own culture sound like, or have any idea of traditions. One person when naming their Sheevra may make up the naming conventions they use. One may go to a drow name generator. Another, a regular name generator. And you get as many different backstories about how Sheevra view necromancy as there are people who care about the subject.

I think in terms of the lore they need to build, they need to build what our characters would realistically know. And in terms of that, we probably know more about ancient Sumeria than a Roman did because Archeology is a recent field, even though a Roman lived far closer chronologically to those events.

So we should know:
A. Cultural norms and traditions of current cultures.
B. Recent history.
C. Popular myths of this time (which may hint at ancient history without getting it precisely right)

And then you put non-recent history as what is to be discovered.

Reactions: Skydancer

Skydancer

May 28, 2020
Great suggestions!

Agree with all. A base level of culture, tradition and history should be present. The world itself should be shaped based on lore with as much or more for us to discover by exploration than any presently living npc or books could tell us