October Steam Chart Assessment:

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Source: https://steamcharts.com/app/1170950

I had said earlier that I thought there was going to be about a 2-300 drop off in peak pop when the October steam chart 'results' came in, but up until a few days ago the "last 30 days" was over 1500, so I was like hmm maybe I missed a spot in the graph? I don't know what sort of weird stuff they do that the number would change like that (this is counting the GY event stuff, too,) but the loss of 200 MAX PLAYERS (like I said, to me, it's a better sign of pop than avg because 1. I'M INSANE and 2. It's running checks over and over, so it can't be 'luck,' I mean the odds that we just 'barely missed' people being online together after 3 months of solid 1500+ are VERY LOW.

How do you guys interpret this? Is this the result of purging unwanteds? Is this a big sign that the game is GOIN DOWN? I mean, we've been able to get 1500 almost every month. I do check steam charts a decent amount (tbh... I guess I actually care,) and I would see 1500s multiple times. It wasn't like a one-time thing each of those months, but now, according to this chart, that number has been -200 for a whole month!

Hot takes? Hot cakes?

wyqydsyq

Dec 17, 2021
I think it's less to do with mortal and more what is going on with other games.

A huge portion of the playerbase was playing the Dark and Darker playtest instead of MO2 the last 4 days or so. Been a bunch of other new game launches in the last month like Fractured and the remake of MW2 which I assume at least a few MO2 players will be taking a break to try out. Albion Online also teased a major update so I assume at least a few MO2 players who previously played AO will be going back to that for a while. DayZ is getting hyped on Twitch again so probably a few players have gone back to that for their main PVP fix. Probably more I'm missing.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I think it's less to do with mortal and more what is going on with other games.

A huge portion of the playerbase was playing the Dark and Darker playtest instead of MO2 the last 4 days or so. Been a bunch of other new game launches in the last month like Fractured and the remake of MW2 which I assume at least a few MO2 players will be taking a break to try out. Albion Online also teased a major update so I assume at least a few MO2 players who previously played AO will be going back to that for a while. DayZ is getting hyped on Twitch again so probably a few players have gone back to that for their main PVP fix. Probably more I'm missing.

yea I see em on Darker, but that's 4 days. haha. that's more than 10% of the pop drop off. Notice how the avg stays mostly the same, that's cuz the same no-lifers (chokes on a cheezpuff) still play.

Edit: another thing to notice is the deadness of the forum. I've seen times when there were like 6 people on here. haha I think it was even counting guests. It was like 2 people and 4 guests or something. It's like wat.

wyqydsyq

Dec 17, 2021
yea I see em on Darker, but that's 4 days. haha. that's more than 10% of the pop drop off. Notice how the avg stays mostly the same, that's cuz the same no-lifers (chokes on a cheezpuff) still play.

Edit: another thing to notice is the deadness of the forum. I've seen times when there were like 6 people on here. haha I think it was even counting guests. It was like 2 people and 4 guests or something. It's like wat.
Currently online on the forum:

Total: 69 (members: 12, guests: 57)

giphy.gif

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
Tbh, after the necro patch there has been no new meaningful content added to attract people. I'm not sure how that can come as a surprise?

The new roadmap putting TC like a year away still doesn't help either. The game doesn't even have a core gameplay loop without it.

Reactions: wyqydsyq

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
Tbh, after the necro patch there has been no new meaningful content added to attract people. I'm not sure how that can come as a surprise?

The new roadmap putting TC like a year away still doesn't help either. The game doesn't even have a core gameplay loop without it.

let's hope we can get 1k in the month of november! We got close once so far.

Jatix

Sep 30, 2020
To me it looked like pop had a noticeable dip at the end of the month, at the 24th and onward. Conveniently around when they released the new roadmap. I'm not sure how the pop has held on this long, with 1 char slot and an extreme lack of content.

What I thought was really weird was how the pop went up so much from the necro patch. when 90% of players aren't mages and cant try it because 1 char slot.

Gnidex

Feb 2, 2022
let's hope we can get 1k in the month of november! We got close once so far.
Yeah with hot new roadmap worthy "features" like Pet follow and Pet navigation in houses it's sure to recover.