No default flagging, optional flagging for advanced player towns only

TheTyGuy

May 28, 2020
We now have guards, and a "justice" reputation system. Is it better now than it was when I wrote the OP?

The best part of MO2 is the size and scale. Cities represent a fairly small section of the map in total. If they implement TC well, we'll need to get players out of cities and away from silly systems asap.

tbf running around now while being red in towns will be super easy cause the guards are just very easy to parry and kill.

Tehmudjin

May 28, 2020
Inside your palisade
I dont get how people can make the argument that because we manage to uphold some order in the towns in the alpha without guards, it will also work fine at release.

There is no incentive to kill anyone in the alpha, no valuable loot, there are no guild wars going on, nobody is fighting over any resources. This will all change at release. Has everyone forgotten MO1? People got ganked inside towns all the time. Thats the proof we have, not some silly alpha.

Eldrath

Jun 18, 2020
the Jungle. Meditating on things to come.
I dont get how people can make the argument that because we manage to uphold some order in the towns in the alpha without guards, it will also work fine at release.

There is no incentive to kill anyone in the alpha, no valuable loot, there are no guild wars going on, nobody is fighting over any resources. This will all change at release. Has everyone forgotten MO1? People got ganked inside towns all the time. Thats the proof we have, not some silly alpha.

Actually people who ganked inside of town where punished harder by players in the alpha than in MO1. And that was without the incentive of protecting yourself and your friends valuebles. Loot is only one of the things people kill for. It won´t change much actually.

The system in MO1 did not work - as you clearly recognize since "people got ganked inside towns all the time". Those gankers were blue. To actually punish them you would have had to go red or punish their alts.

It will play out like that in MO2 as well. Player justice will work better than a bit of code Seb came up with between frukost and fika. I know it is scary to many because your actions would have consequences and social interactions would become more important but it would improve the game.

That being said I think I´m fine with guards in some cities, if standing does not make them attack you. They should react to crimes, but not attack on sight because your little number dropped to zero.

Raziel

Jan 30, 2021
Switzerland
The flag system as always been one of the weak pints of MO.

But as long as there is no real justice system in the game with the hability to punish people you catch doing shit very harshly. They have to come up with some sort of system to identify players based on the behavior they have in game. Call it flag system, Karma, reputation. It won’t change anything. The abuses and exploits around those system will always be the same and griefers will always find ways around those systems to harass new players as well as old ones 😅.

So as long as you can’t capture people and put them in a jail and stop them from playing or kill them permanently, you’ll have to get ready for exploits.

Removing guards would be a terrible idea that’s for sure. Though if your guild is in control of a town, you should be allowed to have your Reds enter the town and your guild members kill the people they don’t want in your town. It’s should be up to the guild that owns the territory to decide who can stay. I was almost never able to enter the towns I took over with my guild cause I was always Red even on my blue guys I had to go Red to kill the blue griefers in our towns. It’s a pain and I hope it won’t be this retarded this time.

Godkin Veratas

Jul 3, 2020
tbf running around now while being red in towns will be super easy cause the guards are just very easy to parry and kill.

Yeah, it seems it will be quite easy to raid NPC towns with the current build. Guard magic might change that a bit. Not looking forward to watching new people join and then leave in frustration when they feel guards don't offer enough protection. Not because the game is objectively harder or easier with guards, I don't think it actually makes much difference (perhaps slight advantage to "griefers"), but because they get the wrong impression about where safety comes from.

What do you imagine would happen if there were no guards and they added loot and resources?

Last edited: