New player - playstyle viability?

ulfy

Mar 31, 2021
Hey all,

I was there for the original MO launch, but only stuck around for ~6 months since my buddy left, so I consider myself a new player. That said, I'm in the dark about a lot of things, and the min/max nature of it all has left me confused about the viability of certain play-styles. I hit a point where it makes sense to tap into the knowledge of you fine folks here...

Coming from many hours logged in Mordhau, I'm not certain I'll enjoy the melee combat mechanics. I'm not suggesting they change it, I understand they have their reasons for it, but I imagine I'll just get bored with it. I'd probably do the janky-animation-abuse ballerina style that'll annoy people to no end. With that in mind, I've been considering a glass cannon type or something ranged: assassin or hunter/gatherer. I basically want to avoid the face-tanking & trading blows style of play.

I have an interest in something to the effect of an Alvarin hunter/butcher/bowyer, just for exploration & economy, but what would combat look like for the inevitable gank attempt? I'm assuming if I'm fast, have good footwork & parrying, I can kite or escape most of the time. Is it possible to go toe-to-toe with a foot fighter if I'm able to avoid getting hit, or would I lose the stam game or some other critical component I'm missing?

I'm also interested in assassin builds, but I haven't seen enough about these to know how they function. Things like backstab, weakspots, daggers (poisons?), etc. Are builds like this about good footwork and getting behind your opponent, or are they meant to be strictly ambush and hope for a 1-shot?

Cheers...

Ruthless

Mar 26, 2021
Hey all,

I was there for the original MO launch, but only stuck around for ~6 months since my buddy left, so I consider myself a new player. That said, I'm in the dark about a lot of things, and the min/max nature of it all has left me confused about the viability of certain play-styles. I hit a point where it makes sense to tap into the knowledge of you fine folks here...

Coming from many hours logged in Mordhau, I'm not certain I'll enjoy the melee combat mechanics. I'm not suggesting they change it, I understand they have their reasons for it, but I imagine I'll just get bored with it. I'd probably do the janky-animation-abuse ballerina style that'll annoy people to no end. With that in mind, I've been considering a glass cannon type or something ranged: assassin or hunter/gatherer. I basically want to avoid the face-tanking & trading blows style of play.

I have an interest in something to the effect of an Alvarin hunter/butcher/bowyer, just for exploration & economy, but what would combat look like for the inevitable gank attempt? I'm assuming if I'm fast, have good footwork & parrying, I can kite or escape most of the time. Is it possible to go toe-to-toe with a foot fighter if I'm able to avoid getting hit, or would I lose the stam game or some other critical component I'm missing?

I'm also interested in assassin builds, but I haven't seen enough about these to know how they function. Things like backstab, weakspots, daggers (poisons?), etc. Are builds like this about good footwork and getting behind your opponent, or are they meant to be strictly ambush and hope for a 1-shot?

Cheers...

I was also considering something like this as well. Either a archer or mage build that can compete with a warrior but it seems that's not a possibility unfortunately. You're either a warrior or die in 1v1 type situations. Hopefully this changes.

ulfy

Mar 31, 2021
[...] You're either a warrior or die in 1v1 type situations. Hopefully this changes.

How much can skill save me from this? If I'm good at the mechanics, can I still win against somebody with a build dedicated to melee? Or are stats, clade gifts, etc that deterministic?

Cobblecat

Mar 29, 2021
Magic is implemented in a rather clunky manner and there is only 1 magic school at the moment, Ecumenical. Pretty much only useful for the healsm but you have to stand still while casting anything so you won't be nuking a warrior to death because their 2h weapons will have sliced and diced you. Maybe with other magic systems (Necromancy is going to be one) you could.

Ruthless

Mar 26, 2021
How much can skill save me from this? If I'm good at the mechanics, can I still win against somebody with a build dedicated to melee? Or are stats, clade gifts, etc that deterministic?

According to the information I've received. You're only chance is running away.

They need to balance the classes. If you'd like to play a warrior, mage or archer type then you should be able to win in 1v1 situations. Currently, this isn't the case. You're either a warrior or dead.

Reactions: Khy