Neftan's "Worker NPC for Homes" Suggestion

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
While the topic of automaton is always a hot one, I think that some background progress should be able to be found in any game. It feels good to have a goal or progress to look forward to when you havent been able to play much.

I propose the addition of a Worker NPC - something I want everyone to remember is that everything below, if implemented, would need to be carefully planned and balanced in order to not upset the economy of the game, and that nothing in this post would be final say.

Worker:
  • When you own a house, you are able to upgrade it to have a "Worker Hut"
    • This would add a small hut either attached to the side of your home, or very near to it in a small radius
      • the hut would have a cot, table, some other comfort design items
      • -
    • This would add a chute to the the front of your house for the NPC to drop goods in to
    • -
  • You would need to buy a Worker Contract from an NPC city and carry it to your home
    • These would be expensive for a new player, but nothing too hefty
      • Something along the lines of 50g
      • -
  • Once at your upgraded home, you are able to use the contract
    • On the interior side of the chute would be a chest that goods would accumulate in
    • You would pay your worker per hour, per day, and up to a month in advance
      • The money would go into the container on the table
      • -
  • Workers would function for 8 hour in game periods
    • You would select it to be:
      • Early Day
      • Late Day
      • Early Night
      • Late Night
    • The worker would spend non-working hours in their hut, despawned
      • I would say doing idle activities, but this is for less server lag
  • Workers would be assigned a gathering job
    • Wood
    • Stone
    • Botany Materials
    • General
      • General would gather everything, but at 30% the rate for wood, stone and botany
      • General would also add a chance to find odd items such as:
        • A vial
        • A gem
        • Random things, with various RNG
      • -
  • When working, the worker would wander the area surrounding your home, interacting with trees, stones and plants
    • If there were no resources available of the type you have assigned (no trees for wood, etc), the worker will still 'gather' them
      • However, you would only get 10% of the usual amount
      • The worker would just wander around and idle, squat, and look around
    • -
  • The amount gathered would be the rough equivalent of a player with 10% of the lore needed would gather, per in game hour
    • This number would need to be changed so that they would be worth the money, but not too powerful
    • The worker would turn in the loot at the 4 hour and 8 hour mark of their shift, at the chute of the house
    • -
  • Workers found in the world can be killed, and their current loot can be looted
    • Workers that are killed will not spawn for 2 in game days unless a fee is paid by the owner at the workers hut
    • Workers WILL give murder counts
    • Catching a worker on the way back to a house will be confirmed material, if you are okay with the murder count
    • IF A REGIONAL SYSTEM is in place for the Murder Count system, the MURDER COUNT would count toward the city the contract for the worker was bought in
    • -
  • Workers will flee from nearby combat, and only fight back if they are hit
    • Workers would be able as strong as a bandit and fight similarly
    • -
  • If the owner of the worker is a murderer (red), the hourly pay for the worker is double
    • This would still not be overly expensive
    • Those workers deserve some hazard pay for working for a criminal
    • -
  • Workers would be able to be EXTORTED
    • By speaking to the worker before attacking it, you would be able to threaten them
    • Threatening them would cause them to drop half their items on the ground, and turn you grey
    • The worker would then run to their hut, and despawn for the day
    • The worker would keep a list for the owner to access of all the player who have extorted it
      • This would allow revenge to be planned
    • The owner of the worker could offer the head of an extortionist to the worker
      • The worker would not be able to be extorted by that player for a month of in game days
      • -

Rhias

May 28, 2020
You know that we had for some time self mining TC mines in MO1, right? And you also know how that worked out?

Reactions: Xunila

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
I would say no to any automated form of work for players. It is a player driven game after all.
Why can we read books to learn skills? Use stable to train pets? I agree that the vast majority of things should be manual, but this offers very small reward and I do not think would be abused if done correctly.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Yes but they were overpowered. These would be very little.
Why can we read books to learn skills? Use stable to train pets? I agree that the vast majority of things should be manual, but this offers very small reward and I do not think would be abused if done correctly.
I also have it so that they are easily robbed, or killed.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Books are really not work, you dont get money from skilling up skills. You cant sell them or anything.
Breeding I have always been against as I want the old system back where mounts at spawns are the same and not randomly better or worse than others creating an unfair advantage for those lucky enough.
Breeding was a big reason why mounts got so insanely OP which broke MO more than it already was for years upon years.

Reactions: Rhias

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Books are really not work, you dont get money from skilling up skills. You cant sell them or anything.
Breeding I have always been against as I want the old system back where mounts at spawns are the same and not randomly better or worse than others creating an unfair advantage for those lucky enough.
Breeding was a big reason why mounts got so insanely OP which broke MO more than it already was for years upon years.
I agree about the breeding, just was using it as an example. I do not thnk the worker system proposed would break anything if yields were low enough, as suggested, and I also made them very vulnerable to theft

Amadman

May 28, 2020
A padded room.
I am with others here and think automation is not the way to go. Any form of automation is taking away the job of a real player.

Ideally the game would not have to feel like a job to anyone. If there is a part of the game you do not like then you should be able to leave that part of the game to a player that does enjoy it. Then either hire said person for that work or purchase the finished goods from them.

It clearly did not work that way with MO1 though. But I would rather have SV trying to get this to work as intended instead of treating the symptom of it not working properly.

Mostly I think it relies on MO2 having a larger and more varied player base. Hopefully SV has a good plan on how too bring that about.

Reactions: Rhias and ThaBadMan

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I am with others here and think automation is not the way to go. Any form of automation is taking away the job of a real player.

Ideally the game would not have to feel like a job to anyone. If there is a part of the game you do not like then you should be able to leave that part of the game to a player that does enjoy it. Then either hire said person for that work or purchase the finished goods from them.

It clearly did not work that way with MO1 though. But I would rather have SV trying to get this to work as intended instead of treating the symptom of it not working properly.

Mostly I think it relies on MO2 having a larger and more varied player base. Hopefully SV has a good plan on how too bring that about.
/signed.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Fair enough. I just like the idea of having more to see, do, and interact with. I don't see the version of this idea i envision taking away from need to trade for goods, I just see it as a small easter egg, something to look forward to on a visit home.

Mostly I just hated how homes in MO1 felt so lifeless and useless. I had a fully upgraded home with all crafting, special bed, etc, and it still felt boring and gross to be at it for long.

Reactions: Amadman

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth
While the topic of automaton is always a hot one, I think that some background progress should be able to be found in any game. It feels good to have a goal or progress to look forward to when you havent been able to play much.

I propose the addition of a Worker NPC - something I want everyone to remember is that everything below, if implemented, would need to be carefully planned and balanced in order to not upset the economy of the game, and that nothing in this post would be final say.

Worker:
  • When you own a house, you are able to upgrade it to have a "Worker Hut"
    • This would add a small hut either attached to the side of your home, or very near to it in a small radius
      • the hut would have a cot, table, some other comfort design items
      • -
    • This would add a chute to the the front of your house for the NPC to drop goods in to
    • -
  • You would need to buy a Worker Contract from an NPC city and carry it to your home
    • These would be expensive for a new player, but nothing too hefty
      • Something along the lines of 50g
      • -
  • Once at your upgraded home, you are able to use the contract
    • On the interior side of the chute would be a chest that goods would accumulate in
    • You would pay your worker per hour, per day, and up to a month in advance
      • The money would go into the container on the table
      • -
  • Workers would function for 8 hour in game periods
    • You would select it to be:
      • Early Day
      • Late Day
      • Early Night
      • Late Night
    • The worker would spend non-working hours in their hut, despawned
      • I would say doing idle activities, but this is for less server lag
  • Workers would be assigned a gathering job
    • Wood
    • Stone
    • Botany Materials
    • General
      • General would gather everything, but at 30% the rate for wood, stone and botany
      • General would also add a chance to find odd items such as:
        • A vial
        • A gem
        • Random things, with various RNG
      • -
  • When working, the worker would wander the area surrounding your home, interacting with trees, stones and plants
    • If there were no resources available of the type you have assigned (no trees for wood, etc), the worker will still 'gather' them
      • However, you would only get 10% of the usual amount
      • The worker would just wander around and idle, squat, and look around
    • -
  • The amount gathered would be the rough equivalent of a player with 10% of the lore needed would gather, per in game hour
    • This number would need to be changed so that they would be worth the money, but not too powerful
    • The worker would turn in the loot at the 4 hour and 8 hour mark of their shift, at the chute of the house
    • -
  • Workers found in the world can be killed, and their current loot can be looted
    • Workers that are killed will not spawn for 2 in game days unless a fee is paid by the owner at the workers hut
    • Workers WILL give murder counts
    • Catching a worker on the way back to a house will be confirmed material, if you are okay with the murder count
    • IF A REGIONAL SYSTEM is in place for the Murder Count system, the MURDER COUNT would count toward the city the contract for the worker was bought in
    • -
  • Workers will flee from nearby combat, and only fight back if they are hit
    • Workers would be able as strong as a bandit and fight similarly
    • -
  • If the owner of the worker is a murderer (red), the hourly pay for the worker is double
    • This would still not be overly expensive
    • Those workers deserve some hazard pay for working for a criminal
    • -
  • Workers would be able to be EXTORTED
    • By speaking to the worker before attacking it, you would be able to threaten them
    • Threatening them would cause them to drop half their items on the ground, and turn you grey
    • The worker would then run to their hut, and despawn for the day
    • The worker would keep a list for the owner to access of all the player who have extorted it
      • This would allow revenge to be planned
    • The owner of the worker could offer the head of an extortionist to the worker
      • The worker would not be able to be extorted by that player for a month of in game days
      • -
I enjoy the idea!! Just no more automatic anything, just made the game less then what it could be. Time spent = Great times.
If anything a companion who assisted you in your work. Limited time on them, ( like a campfire ) just a way to increase your goals without allowing a free way to achieve items..
If theres a gold cost for anything automatic, it will get used and abused. (Somehow....)

Phen

May 29, 2020
Earth

Fools gold?!