Neftan's "Siege Window and Capturing" Asset Suggestion

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
I posted this in another thread discussing something similar, but wanted to have a thread dedicated to the idea.

I know that having siege windows seems "safer" or more "noob friendly", or "carebear" as many of you like to say but, I raise you this: what is more exciting? Grouped siege PvP? Or, sneaking a siege when half or all of a group is offline? I say siege windows forces more confrontation, and I offer a capture mechanic for asset play outside of these windows.

I have no idea how to balance this properly, that being said here is a vague idea:

Siege:
  • Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday are siege days
  • The siege window is 12hours, bordering timezones so that most areas should be covered for at least an hour or two
  • EDIT: As an update, I would suggest that instead of having dedicated siege days, seiging would always be open, HOWEVER, each guild could set an 8 hour window of downtime that would ONLY allow capture, instead of siege.
  • Seiges work as they did in MO1, full asset destruction
  • Outside of the siege days, structures can only be damaged to 75% and be captured
Capturing:
  • Capturing would allow a structure to be looted
  • Any services offered by NPC's would not be usable (bank, store, guards, etc.) by anyone at first.
  • Spawning/control commands (change lock, etc) would be disabled for everyone at first
  • For the capturer to gain access to all the NPC services and control commands (locks etc) they must hold the structure for 8 hours.
  • To capture a building you would do 25% damage to it, and no one present may have been in combat for 5 minutes.
    • That means you would have to clear any resistance and also damage the building before claiming it.
    • You must have at least 3 people near the spot of capture, and capture happens by holding interact on the injured building
  • For an owner to reclaim a captured structure they must interact with it, out of combat, and then hold and defend it for 2 hours.
  • A captured structure will always be able to be reclaimed, until a full week has passed.
    • Ownership is then given fully to the holder

Last edited:

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I posted this in another thread discussing something similar, but wanted to have a thread dedicated to the idea.

I know that having siege windows seems "safer" or more "noob friendly", or "carebear" as many of you like to say but, I raise you this: what is more exciting? Grouped siege PvP? Or, sneaking a siege when half or all of a group is offline? I say siege windows forces more confrontation, and I offer a capture mechanic for asset play outside of these windows.

I have no idea how to balance this properly, that being said here is a vague idea:

Siege:
  • Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday are siege days
  • The siege window is 12hours, bordering timezones so that most areas should be covered for at least an hour or two
  • Seiges work as they did in MO1, full asset destruction
  • Outside of the siege days, structures can only be damaged to 75% and be captured
Capturing:
  • Capturing would allow a structure to be looted
  • Any services offered by NPC's would not be usable (bank, store, guards, etc.) by anyone at first.
  • Spawning/control commands (change lock, etc) would be disabled for everyone at first
  • For the capturer to gain access to all the NPC services and control commands (locks etc) they must hold the structure for 8 hours.
  • To capture a building you would do 25% damage to it, and no one present may have been in combat for 5 minutes.
    • That means you would have to clear any resistance and also damage the building before claiming it.
    • You must have at least 3 people near the spot of capture, and capture happens by holding interact on the injured building
  • For an owner to reclaim a captured structure they must interact with it, out of combat, and then hold and defend it for 2 hours.
  • A captured structure will always be able to be reclaimed, until a full week has passed.
    • Ownership is then given fully to the holder
If they not gonna continue with the current pro ninja siege way, then something like this is the way to go. It was so normal in MO that the loser of a keep siege would quit after a siege, this would atleast give several options aswell as the chance to defend which over time was not a thing due to cowards everywhere.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
If they not gonna continue with the current pro ninja siege way, then something like this is the way to go. It was so normal in MO that the loser of a keep siege would quit after a siege, this would atleast give several options aswell as the chance to defend which over time was not a thing due to cowards everywhere.
This would emphasize combat and good planning, without eliminating the risk that comes with asset ownership. You could always be captured and need to grit down to reclaim... that in itself is exciting, without the fear of total destruction.

Seige days would bustle with activity and we would see groups of every kind taking to the roads. Pure evil types who just wanna blow shit up, guilds at war, small time groups warring on eachother, people who want to raid seige fights, PK who just wanna get kills with the extra pop running around, anti-PK to fight...

It would give everyone extra reason to log in and swell the fun in game.

I really hope something akin to this is implemented too. I hope @Henrik Nyström is planning to.

Speznat

May 28, 2020
Tindrem
wolfszeit.online
They wouldn't quit if they would balance the hassle to build to hold to maintain the stuff. if its not so hard to get than the loss is less.
Or it should be much much much harder to destroy than you only go sieging if you really hate clan/person x and not just for fun.

Than you kill the problem before it comes to a problem.
Just my opinion. lets hope sv came up with something mind blowing that hopefully works.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
They wouldn't quit if they would balance the hassle to build to hold to maintain the stuff. if its not so hard to get than the loss is less.
Or it should be much much much harder to destroy than you only go sieging if you really hate clan/person x and not just for fun.

Than you kill the problem before it comes to a problem.
Just my opinion. lets hope sv came up with something mind blowing that hopefully works.
Why they quit is probably very individual since so many could lose a keep 4-5 times before they quit.
But I dont get the "just for fun" part of standing there semi afk shooting boulders at non moving targets as was the norm in late MO with ninja sieges.
If there was a battle in every siege I would see the fun aspect of fighting and winning a siege and then either capture or destroy, like early MO sieges always where.

Sieges in late MO imo became a griefing tool more like a "fuck you cause well fuck you". Or "Oh so you don wan to come out to fight us, then we will come in to fight you".
And the RPK one "You are weaker than us so we will siege you because we can".
We need to get away from promoting that mindset and more towards early MO mindset of sieging for political reasons, where sieges was normally few and far between except during wars where the objective was to ruin the other side through battles and sieges.

Reactions: Speznat