Neftan's "Living Bosses & NPC Bounties" Suggestion

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Something I feel would add a lot of life and make the world feel more dynamic are enemies who could grow reputation. By surviving battles and getting player kills, an NPC could grow in strength or grow a bounty that would be reported in NPC towns. Clearly, this would need to be carefully done to avoid players intentionally creating boss monsters and bounties. Here is my stab at the idea:

• In every spawn of NPC, humanoid or beast, there is a chance for a stronger varient to spawn
    • Could be titled Officer, Alpha, etc
    • -
  • This variant would have some bonus HP and damage, as well as some extra dialogue if humanoid
    • It would not offer extra loot
    • -
  • If the Variant were to either:
    • Survive for X hours, or
    • Get a player kill
      • They would have a chance to get a bit stronger, and unlock more dialogue
      • -
  • After a Variant reaches a specific point of growth, they will be given a unique name from the system or a GM
  • -
  • This new Named NPC would then begin to roam with a small pack of it's subtype NPC
    • If a bandit officer, regular bandits
    • They would actively pursue and attack nearby players, who would have to kill them or flee
    • -
  • The Named NPC would attempt to roam in a direction of an NPC town
    • Once the NPC entered the reigonal area of the town:
    • When a player who has died to the Named NPC, or been near enough to have have had it's name targetted, they can report it to a guard in the NPC town
    • Town Criers will then begin calling it out, saying something must be done
    • -
  • Every player killed by the Named NPC or one of it's minions would be looted and have all their loot stored in the Named NPC's inventory
    • When the named NPC is defeated, it spawns a chest instead of a loot bag
    • The chest has all the accumulated loot
    • The chest also has the named NPC's head
    • -
  • The Named NPC head can be returned to the NPC town that put out the bounty
    • This would give some sort of reward
    • -
  • If the NPC is a humanoid, and survives too long, or gets too many kills, it will build a seige camp outside of the nearest town
    • The camp will act as a spawn for more sub npc's
    • These would actively attack the town, and engage the towns guards
    • If the players did not assist, the town would become 'Occupied' over time by the NPC
      • Guards would stop spawning, and blue NPC would stop offering services
    • In order to reclaim the town, players would have to rally and defeat the named NPC
      • Defeating the named NPC would spawn guards in the town again, who would take care of any remaining enemies inside the town
    • -
  • TO PREVENT players from intentionally making this happen,
    • once a player dies to a Variant, they are void from adding to it's tally any further
    • to seige a town, the loot pool the Varient has taken from players must reach about a certain material value
      • These two changes would make it harder to grief, and if it were griefed, it would take many players and a fair amount of their loot
Clearly this would have to be tweaked and designed well, to avoid abuse. What do you think?

Last edited:

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Really like it. Question many have is player keeps/houses/etc, will they be prone to attacks if in his way ?

Know this was discussed in MO1.
Personally been waiting a long time for this to be in the game.

Reactions: PatWins and Neftan

Nenju

May 28, 2020
sausage lake
good idea but always consider how ppl can exploit/grief with any feature.

one could die over and over on purpose and lead them to town to lay siege on it aka grief ppl in a town

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
good idea but always consider how ppl can exploit/grief with any feature.

one could die over and over on purpose and lead them to town to lay siege on it aka grief ppl in a town
As illustrated in the post, I know this. I stated a few times that the system would need to be carefully done. I have updated it though.

Cromwell

Jun 4, 2020
So you want to make UO paragons that siege towns? Is a fine idea, but a complex one too and i don't believe they will bother, perhaps just random variants with extra loot? paragon style, that i can see it happening...

Slammington Unchained

May 28, 2020
I love this idea. Me and 6+ of my buddies can spam die to beef up a bandit, bandit will take over a town and grief mounts for us. This is a great addition to Henrik's sequel, "The Vision 2"

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Cromwell and Neftan

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
I love this idea. Me and 6+ of my buddies can spam die to beef up a bandit, bandit will take over a town and grief mounts for us. This is a great addition to Henrik's sequel, "The Vision 2"

• TO PREVENT players from intentionally making this happen,
    • once a player dies to a Variant, they are void from adding to it's tally any further
    • to seige a town, the loot pool the Varient has taken from players must reach about a certain material value
      • These two changes would make it harder to grief, and if it were griefed, it would take many players and a fair amount of their loot
Clearly this would have to be tweaked and designed well, to avoid abuse. What do you think?