Neftan's "Hidden Traits within Crafted Goods" Suggestion

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
I think it would be excellent for crafters with good skill to be allowed to hide specific attributes from the final products. In mo1, you could poison food, but it was obvious if anyone paid attention. With this suggestion, food, armor, weapons, bows, etc, could be creatively altered and have stats hidden to promote creativity, and also hesitation.

Edited the suggestion to elaborate.

Hidden Traits within Crafted Goods
  • Effects produced are able to be hidden on the final product
    • only the crafter knows these added effects and has the option to try and hide them
      • EX) The crafter adds a secret drug to some bread, etc
        • This leads to a fighter getting high in battle after refueling
        • His mechanics are now off, or vision is blurred,
        • -
      • EX) The crafter adds some healing properties
        • A troubled adventurer takes a bite of their dumplings and find themselves rejuvinated
        • -
      • EX) The crafter adds a toxin
        • Death follows any who eat the food
        • -
      • this would allow secretly poisoned food, altered weapons, etc.
      • Adding in a lot more fun and depth to the systems.
      • -
  • To be able to identify these effects, the user would need to have skill in the material AND craft
    • To clarify, other players could see the hidden effect(s) if they are trained in the lores of the materials use
    • -
  • Crafted items are forced to have an item tag, the crafters name being in the tooltip
    • Crafters would be able to gain vast amount of renown (or infamy) based on the goods they push
    • A smart crafter would be able to outsell less creative players by adding special hidden effects that make their goods more desirable for a similar price
    • A cruel crafter attempting to hurt people would be outed quickly
    • The crafter is ALLOWED TO MAKE ANONYMOUS items, but doing so turns them into a criminal on creation
      • this allows players outside of player towns to get up to more shenanigans
      • these items are normal items, UNLESS they also have hidden traits
        • Anonymous crafted items with hidden traits are marked Illegal
    • -
  • The Broker NPC in towns has a well trained eye, disallowing the sale of anything with hidden traits.
    • this means all hidden trait items must be sold via word of mouth, or by a special black market broker who would come with TC

Last edited:

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
This im very on edge on. I do like the suggestions alot, but I feel they are very very grief friendly and will due to some apples we have in MO community that will purge new players with these things if implemented.

Trash armors and weapons on broker sold to new players.
Lots of food with poisons sold to new players.

However I do like crafters being able to hide their good items from simply being copy/paste by others, being a crafter myself I really enjoy being able to make unique gear to be sold.
But as said I foresee an insane amount of griefing being done and hordes of new players rage quit due to it as seen during steam release.

Reactions: Najwalaylah

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
This im very on edge on. I do like the suggestions alot, but I feel they are very very grief friendly and will due to some apples we have in MO community that will purge new players with these things if implemented.

However I do like crafters being able to hide their good items from simply being copy/paste by others, being a crafter myself I really enjoy being able to make unique gear to be sold.
But as said I foresee an insane amount of griefing being done and hordes of new players rage quit due to it as seen during steam release.
Accompanied with craft branding, IE) Name of crafter being in the tag of the item, it wouldn't be too difficult to figure out the griefers, and this mechanic is intended only for high level craft, so not that many maxed crafters in a game of single char accounts will resort to ruining their rep. At least that is what I imagine.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
Accompanied with craft branding, IE) Name of crafter being in the tag of the item, it wouldn't be too difficult to figure out the griefers, and this mechanic is intended only for high level craft, so not that many maxed crafters in a game of single char accounts will resort to ruining their rep. At least that is what I imagine.
Griefers will generally remake chars to not be known by Vets, noobs will not know anything when new, if they did they would not quit due to things Vets deem as insignificant like spawn killings and griefing. Just saying knowing this community, if it can be used to grief it will.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Griefers will generally remake chars to not be known by Vets, noobs will not know anything when new, if they did they would not quit due to things Vets deem as insignificant like spawn killings and griefing. Just saying knowing this community, if it can be used to grief it will.
Yes, remake all they want, they would need to remake and regrind their craft and gather the mats needed to get to the point of wanting to do it all over again, and would then be outed within a week. Not worth.

May 29, 2020
Montreal, QC
yeah i like the fact that you can buy stuff with stats you mean no see. but we need a counter to this. if you're examining or alchemical taste indentification is high enough you may be able to inspect the item and determinate if its safe to eat.

or if you're crafting is high enough the equipment you wanna buy, you can see more stats.

so like a cook cannot trick another cook/alchemist and a crafter cannot trick another crafter, cause they are both master's of each other trade you know?

• Wow
Reactions: DrChaoz and Neftan

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
yeah i like the fact that you can buy stuff with stats you mean no see. but we need a counter to this. if you're examining or alchemical taste indentification is high enough you may be able to inspect the item and determinate if its safe to eat.

or if you're crafting is high enough the equipment you wanna buy, you can see more stats.

so like a cook cannot trick another cook/alchemist and a crafter cannot trick another crafter, cause they are both master's of each other trade you know?
Yes, that is literally in the post. I wrote that in. Other players skilled in the same lore can see it. Yes.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
But how do you solve this for the players that would be griefed ? The noobs who are low on skills. I am not worried about established players or vets but the vulnerable new players we need to build this game.

• Sad
Reactions: Neftan

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
But how do you solve this for the players that would be griefed ? The noobs who are low on skills. I am not worried about established players or vets but the vulnerable new players we need to build this game.

I already answered your crafter griefing question.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway
I already answered your crafter griefing question.
Not that I see, if its one of the comments above. I am sorry to say but you dont know the kind of players this game brings nor MO community at its worst, nothing up here states a good fix to noob griefing but some ways to get around Veteran griefing...

DrChaoz

May 28, 2020
Germany
Noone should be allowed to sell stuff with hidden stats at the broker, but everyone should be able to trade or sell them directly.

And as @TroGuard(TheBrown) said, every other crafter with the right skill can see all hidden stats, no matter who crafted it.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
Noone should be allowed to sell stuff with hidden stats at the broker, but everyone should be able to trade or sell them directly.

And as @TroGuard(TheBrown) said, every other crafter with the right skill can see all hidden stats, no matter who crafted it.
Troguard may have said it but I had it originally within my post as well. It was in the OP. I had already made this statement.

I do agree that hidden trait items may not be allowed on the broker. Perhaps the idea is that the broker himself is trained, from a lore perspective, and wont allow altered goods on his market.

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind

oh srry i didnt see it XD was in a hurry. so i skimmed over XD ok then, the i agree with this post entirely lol

I have updated the OP to be more clear and to indicate some anti grief measures.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020
I like this. So crafters can add in stats (good) but can potentially curse, poison, or trap. I do not think there would be as much griefing if it required high skills and expensive ingredients. I’d love to wear cursed gear while traveling in case I am killed and looted. Something like gear that looks steel, but has almost no protection and cannot be taken off or unequiped once out on? A sword that acts like it weighs a ton but will stay on you til you die? It would require a whole other way of looking at gear.
Having to have items “identified” first or just putting them on would become a decision needed on the fly when looting someone.
Having additional effects like minor enchantments which could be good or bad, but not ridiculously overpowered, requiring great skill and rare ingredients? I’m all in.
Food with things like delayed poison, or delayed stamina burst? Or spreads effects to those around you, like plague? I love it.
It would be expensive, and require a lot of time invested, so I don’t think many would go to all the effort to grief much, THIS WAY. It would not be worth the return. There would be MUCH easier ways to grief. But I could foresee travelling with various poisoned and cursed items just in case I was taken down and looted while running supplies between towns. Also, people would be less likely to loot and equip on the spot.

Reactions: Neftan

Neftan

May 28, 2020
My Mind
I like this. So crafters can add in stats (good) but can potentially curse, poison, or trap. I do not think there would be as much griefing if it required high skills and expensive ingredients. I’d love to wear cursed gear while traveling in case I am killed and looted. Something like gear that looks steel, but has almost no protection and cannot be taken off or unequiped once out on? A sword that acts like it weighs a ton but will stay on you til you die? It would require a whole other way of looking at gear.
Having to have items “identified” first or just putting them on would become a decision needed on the fly when looting someone.
Having additional effects like minor enchantments which could be good or bad, but not ridiculously overpowered, requiring great skill and rare ingredients? I’m all in.
Food with things like delayed poison, or delayed stamina burst? Or spreads effects to those around you, like plague? I love it.
It would be expensive, and require a lot of time invested, so I don’t think many would go to all the effort to grief much, THIS WAY. It would not be worth the return. There would be MUCH easier ways to grief. But I could foresee travelling with various poisoned and cursed items just in case I was taken down and looted while running supplies between towns. Also, people would be less likely to loot and equip on the spot.
Im not sure what would be possible, of course, without breaking the game and it's balance, but your heart is in the right place.

ThaBadMan

May 28, 2020
Norway

This is a good way to solve the issues. Broker items show all stats while other means does not.

Reactions: DrChaoz