Myrland Instances

Finnley

Jul 8, 2020
The myrland server can only hold around 2-2.5k players, those numbers can easily be verified when you check how many people can get ingame at server restarts.
A minimum capacity of 10k is required to support the current playerbase.
In a normal game the server restarts takes around half an hour, MO2 server restarts took atleast one hour or longer.
In a normal game the server comes back up and the login process takes a few minutes, in MO2 you sit in queue to login to a freshly restarted server and even if you manage to be in the first 100 spots the login process still takes around 20 minutes to login to an empty server.

Lets not kid ourselfes the multiple instances will be around for a while, for a long while.

Thats why i think it makes absolutely no sense that houses will only be buildable in the original instance.
I think they should disable the damaging of buildings altogether until the issues are resolved because there is no way you can login to defend.
I know siege weapons are not ingame but hammers are.
In my opinion it would just make alot more sense to copy all existing buildings to the different instances of myrland.
If a new house/keep gets build in any instance it should just be copied to the rest of the instances.
Town brokers also need to be connected through the instances.
@Sebastian Persson @Henrik Nyström

Branjolf

May 22, 2021
The optimal way would have been to not enable building at all till the servers work without issues. But i guess now a removal / refund of those buildings might be not an option anymore, depending on their ability to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Finnley

Jybwee

May 28, 2020
To avoid overlapping houses it would have to update near immediately upon placing the deed. Then you open up the possibility of players in one instance trying to destroy your house while you're trying to build it. They would, of course, be in another instance (unseen dimension).... which... well, from there we can imagine multiple solutions. All much worse than SVs current solution

disabling the damaging of building seems like more of a step backwards to me

Jackdstripper

Jan 8, 2021
I just dont understand why Henrik is so dead set against regional servers. There are more than enough people to fill a US and a EU server, probably even a 3rd. everything is so much simpler with regional servers. Ping is better for everyone, no housing issues, no off peak sieging issues. So many damn problems are fixed by simply doing what all other sane developers have done forever. The only downside being that IF population dwindles (by a lot), the server will feel dead. Trust me that by that point the game will be dead either way, even with a single server.

instead we get this band aid sharding bs that causes more problems than it fixes. Dont get me wrong, il still play, but i can see nothing but trouble from these instances. Alliances will overload instances so as not to be contested in the best farming spots. They will then funnel the money to the main server completely risk free. These instance will create endless such shenanigans.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
I just dont understand why Henrik is so dead set against regional servers. There are more than enough people to fill a US and a EU server, probably even a 3rd. everything is so much simpler with regional servers. Ping is better for everyone, no housing issues, no off peak sieging issues. So many damn problems are fixed by simply doing what all other sane developers have done forever. The only downside being that IF population dwindles (by a lot), the server will feel dead. Trust me that by that point the game will be dead either way, even with a single server.

instead we get this band aid sharding bs that causes more problems than it fixes. Dont get me wrong, il still play, but i can see nothing but trouble from these instances. Alliances will overload instances so as not to be contested in the best farming spots. They will then funnel the money to the main server completely risk free. These instance will create endless such shenanigans.

That's why I support at least one more open pvp instance, so at least they will have to fight each other for it. The main server is already so tainted, that I actually hope these shards can become real. If they want to come and take some try hard back to the main server, gratz. I still think if people are living on the instance, they should zerg the shit out of them, but that's just me!

Sharding could also become the beginning of regional servers, if you think about it. :) But that's hardcore optimism. I find it hard to say, "Oops, they blew it again...," but... right now I just wanna get in the game and see how it feels. If it has that magical MO feeling in an instance, I'll be ok, regardless of what is happening on the main TC land. If it feels empty, I'm just gonna dump it and o well. There are a lot of directions they can go from here that would be "ok," but the problem is that their outlined 'plan' is going to put us right back where we started, later, haha.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
The myrland server can only hold around 2-2.5k players, those numbers can easily be verified when you check how many people can get ingame at server restarts.
A minimum capacity of 10k is required to support the current playerbase.
In a normal game the server restarts takes around half an hour, MO2 server restarts took atleast one hour or longer.
In a normal game the server comes back up and the login process takes a few minutes, in MO2 you sit in queue to login to a freshly restarted server and even if you manage to be in the first 100 spots the login process still takes around 20 minutes to login to an empty server.

Lets not kid ourselfes the multiple instances will be around for a while, for a long while.

Thats why i think it makes absolutely no sense that houses will only be buildable in the original instance.
I think they should disable the damaging of buildings altogether until the issues are resolved because there is no way you can login to defend.
I know siege weapons are not ingame but hammers are.
In my opinion it would just make alot more sense to copy all existing buildings to the different instances of myrland.
If a new house/keep gets build in any instance it should just be copied to the rest of the instances.
Town brokers also need to be connected through the instances.
@Sebastian Persson @Henrik Nyström
Yeah, that would be the ideal outcome but without a contingency plan SV probably won't be able to pull that from the start at least. I mean they did just release in this state without a plan B, remains to be seen how long it takes for them to pull several servers, unified queue system and above all link in somewhat realtime buildings on múltiple servers. Might be a shoe too big for starvault's foot.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021
The optimal way would have been to not enable building at all till the servers work without issues. But i guess now a removal / refund of those buildings might be not an option anymore, depending on their ability to do that.
That would be optimal for SV, they don't want to do all the refund shit cuz it's more work for the ingame staff and the dev team and it's understandable. If they can't make all servers share buildings and allow building for everyone then nobody should have a house at all.

Albanjo Dravae

Dec 20, 2021

This "instances" are just more servers i don't know what you crying about they are doing more servers lol. Call it shard or diamond or turd, it is what it is.
We can agree all servers should have the same rules.

Finnley

Jul 8, 2020
To avoid overlapping houses it would have to update near immediately upon placing the deed. Then you open up the possibility of players in one instance trying to destroy your house while you're trying to build it. They would, of course, be in another instance (unseen dimension).... which... well, from there we can imagine multiple solutions. All much worse than SVs current solution

disabling the damaging of building seems like more of a step backwards to me
The way they describe their planned system a zerg alliance can just hog the original instance and take down houses with hammers and nobody can do anything about it cause you will have to wait in queue to stop them.
Multiple instances only makes sense if buildings cant be damaged, everything else just creates too many issues.

Finnley

Jul 8, 2020
This would have been the optimal way, no idea why they released housing when there is no whitelist/guildhouse mechanic but its terrible to remove/refund houses keeps when guilds have spend so much effort building them.

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
The way they describe their planned system a zerg alliance can just hog the original instance and take down houses with hammers and nobody can do anything about it cause you will have to wait in queue to stop them.
Multiple instances only makes sense if buildings cant be damaged, everything else just creates too many issues.

I have much stamina to keep typing this to everyone.

The answer is to un-fasten the 'instances' and create shard worlds. Myrland1-Myrland2-Myrland3, which pairs with continents of the same number. Each shard world will have its own character, so there will be no travel between them. It won't be one world one history, but we can at least stop trafficking of mats to 'main instance.' The 1 instance is still gonna be hard to get into because a lot of people have put a lot of work into it, but the new ones would be fresh slates.

Obviously, I've seen this done in other games. It's not something I've imagined. I'm just saying I feel that is the most realistic solution to SV's current problem. Right now, tho, I can almost promise you that the instances are in some way tied to the main world, so building on them will be a disaster. They need to work on separating them out as individual entities and build from there.

If anyone else has a better idea, please let me know, but I'm not listening to 'increase server capacity,' etc because even tho they can increase it a little bit still, probably, it's not gonna be enough for their player base.

Finnley

Jul 8, 2020
I have much stamina to keep typing this to everyone.

The answer is to un-fasten the 'instances' and create shard worlds. Myrland1-Myrland2-Myrland3, which pairs with continents of the same number. Each shard world will have its own character, so there will be no travel between them. It won't be one world one history, but we can at least stop trafficking of mats to 'main instance.' The 1 instance is still gonna be hard to get into because a lot of people have put a lot of work into it, but the new ones would be fresh slates.

Obviously, I've seen this done in other games. It's not something I've imagined. I'm just saying I feel that is the most realistic solution to SV's current problem. Right now, tho, I can almost promise you that the instances are in some way tied to the main world, so building on them will be a disaster. They need to work on separating them out as individual entities and build from there.

If anyone else has a better idea, please let me know, but I'm not listening to 'increase server capacity,' etc because even tho they can increase it a little bit still, probably, it's not gonna be enough for their player base.
If there can only be 2k on one server then the world is way too big, even in MO1 with 1k players and six times smaller map it felt very dead.

Reactions: 2022

Emdash

Sep 22, 2021
If there can only be 2k on one server then the world is way too big, even in MO1 with 1k players and six times smaller map it felt very dead.

I agree, but I'm just saying if they have to redo the map and go that route, it would still be a functional, good game... better than MO1 (well, MO1 had a lot of magical things I am gonna miss, but let's say 'more successful.')

I just don't think they can pull off what they are trying to do, even if they add a bunch of continents, if you can't move between them because of long queues, we are back in the same thing. Sure, people will have places to live, but IMO it makes more sense to have shard worlds for "lore generation (if that was a big part of the world history)" than having people being suck on the lame continents or waiting 12 hrs to queue.

Reactions: Finnley