Mortal Online 2 Gameplay Trailer - Is it Misleading?

Do you think the trailer is misleading?

• Total voters

finegamingconnoisseur

May 29, 2020
www.youtube.com
I thought the trailer was fine, how one interprets it is very much subjective. Some may find it misleading, while for others it will be enough to get them to put their money down and they will not find the real game to be a turn-off.

A large part of what determines one's play experience comes down to one's approach to the game. As an example, when MO1 first launched in 2010 there was no tutorial, compass or any direction from the game. But I loved it anyway.

Having said that, I would be in favour of SV making extraction and other menial tasks a bit more hands on and less on waiting for a timer to count down. I'm thinking of Kingdom Come: Deliverance's very engaging crafting system where you actually turn and tilt the blade as it makes contact with the grindstone.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
I thought the trailer was fine, how one interprets it is very much subjective. Some may find it misleading, while for others it will be enough to get them to put their money down and they will not find the real game to be a turn-off.

A large part of what determines one's play experience comes down to one's approach to the game. As an example, when MO1 first launched in 2010 there was no tutorial, compass or any direction from the game. But I loved it anyway.

Having said that, I would be in favour of SV making extraction and other menial tasks a bit more hands on and less on waiting for a timer to count down. I'm thinking of Kingdom Come: Deliverance's very engaging crafting system where you actually turn and tilt the blade as it makes contact with the grindstone.

The difference is that was 2010 and it's now 2021. Henrik has stated many times over that they went into MO2 with a decades worth, if not more, of experience on what to do and I find the execution is nothing more as @ThaBadMan put it - a graphical update.. With honestly less depth.

I actually saw a review on steam that also phrases how I feel about MO2.

"Game feels a mile wide and an inch deep. Everything is overly complicated and convoluted to the point that it doesn't feel like a game at all. SAVE YOUR MONEY. There may be a game here someday but it will absolutely not be the 25th of January. "

I agree however. Laborious tasks should be given better methods of play then just standing AFK ten minutes at a node. Have that option STILL AVAILABLE to people who prefer it, but give us the ability to do something to speed things up.

ArcaneConsular

Oct 27, 2021
Well it can't get worse than the trailer for Mortal Royale. Remember THE BIGGEST BATTLE ROYALE EVER? with 1000 PLAYERS AT ONCE? yeah I remember

VeelaVidiVici

Jan 2, 2021
It's called marketing; showing the best features and benefits. I like the panoramic vistas and the "drone shots". It's meant to sell. Do you question your girlfriend putting on a little makeup? Hope not for your sake. I think it was well done and kudos to those who made it. That said the game does have polish and balance issues but I expect that they will be corrected by release. Additionally, the world will likely seem more immersive with added flora and fauna, mega bosses and secrets, ect.... It's the easiest thing in the world to be critical especially with products that are not fully released.

Zyconnic

May 28, 2020
Denmark
Hype and interest is useless if you cant back it up...sounds like both you and SV are equally good at learning from past mistakes...:ROFLMAO:
I do not believe the trailer is so far from the truth that it will disappoint people enough to actually hurt the game. That's just my opinion :)

Zyconnic

May 28, 2020
Denmark
Sure, I agree with you. A trailer should show the best of what a game has to offer.. but I don't think it should tease at things that are misleading.

But I want to argue another point of this trailer that a lot of the footage is taken from the perspective of things being quick and fast paced when.. they're really not. With some of the things shown being pushed in even though they don't really hold much weight in the actual game.

I can tell you now a lot of people are going to see the jousting, and the 'fighting' with the one handed weapons and shields and once they try it out in-game they're going to say "what the fuck is this?".

I think the trailer is good. Good for people who know nothing about Mortal because it tempts them much more easily into believing it's something it is not.

I think new players will forget most things about the trailer when they start out as there is so many things to learn and adapt to.
You assume a new players will remember the pace of the combat instead of the graphic and directional hits etc. (just to take an example) but I believe they will remember different things from the trailer than a MO vet. Thus, the misleading things will probably only be remembered by the MO vets (imo - as always)

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
I think new players will forget most things about the trailer when they start out as there is so many things to learn and adapt to.
You assume a new players will remember the pace of the combat instead of the graphic and directional hits etc. (just to take an example) but I believe they will remember different things from the trailer than a MO vet. Thus, the misleading things will probably only be remembered by the MO vets (imo - as always)

If you say so. I just know the game doesn't look like it's portrayed in the trailer.

Tzone

May 16, 2021
Game is 1 hour of fun 10 hours of tedium. Over exaggerating some of that but the amount of time you will being doing the cool stuff shown in the trailer is very unbalanced towards doing bad gameplay tedious stuff. And I dont think its going to get less tedious, just more tedious.

The trailer its self was good.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
Game is 1 hour of fun 10 hours of tedium. Over exaggerating some of that but the amount of time you will being doing the cool stuff shown in the trailer is very unbalanced towards doing bad gameplay tedious stuff. And I dont think its going to get less tedious, just more tedious.

The trailer its self was good.

Agreed.

Belegar

Oct 16, 2021
I found the trailer to be a good representation of what the game looks like and is about.

The large amount of combinations misleading. I agree. But everything shows can be done in game, you don't need a GM to do it.

The jumping killing blow on the troll was a player that blocked the other player mid air to give him a jump boost. Total legit mechanics in MO2.

Backyard Employee

Oct 30, 2021
How do i jump in game to kill a troll like that?

Same. I'm really curious.

Look. I get some people love the game to the point they want to blindly look over thing such as advertising antics but I'm telling you it really doesn't represent the game in the true form that it is.

I want the game to be good, and I don't want people to needlessly bash it over something they perceived in a trailer to be remotely different.. or will we just excuse it and say everyone does it. "yeah its no different then x y and z!" That's how you end up with sub par products.