More characters while keeping crafters important.

ixxxo

Mar 27, 2021
I do understand SV doesn't want more characters per account because they want to keep player interaction up and avoiding self-sufficiency which kills it. They also want your name to mean something, so you make your own history.

Why not then allow 2-3 characters which would keep same name, murder counts and profession skills? It would still allow people to play different builds when they get tired of the same build and keep population entertained for longer. I personally don't care about limits to craft skills but I am deeply troubled about how long will I be able to play one character with same skills all over. Rerolls won't be feasible as builds will likely take months to finalize.

LivingshadeNL

Mar 23, 2021
I like this, the idea of 1 char is good in some ways, like u cant be truely anonymous anymore etc. But i dont want to be stuck to 1 build in a game like this, part of the reason i got so many hours in the game is because i played almost every build , and had fun with it. The fact that we have only 1 char makes me sad. Yes i really like this idea!!!!

Reactions: ixxxo

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
Logistically idk how feasible this idea is, but I do agree that 1 character feels bad. I think 2 characters might be the sweet spot.

You can't be self sufficient with just 2 characters, in a lot of cases your main crafter can't do both gathering and crafting without sacrificing some proficiency somewhere.

Ser_Leofrick

May 4, 2021
I think it would be better if we had a way of hanging up our characyer builds to reroll new builds. So in a sense you could store 2 combat build archtypes in a personal bank and make another archtype and be able to switch between 2 combat builds with the same character at any time all while being the same character with the same professions

ixxxo

Mar 27, 2021
I think it would be better if we had a way of hanging up our characyer builds to reroll new builds. So in a sense you could store 2 combat build archtypes in a personal bank and make another archtype and be able to switch between 2 combat builds with the same character at any time all while being the same character with the same professions

I was thinking about this as well, but it would need to be able to switch race as well, not just build. Another (viable?) solution would be to let us reroll the character completely (but keep bank/stables to not complicate reroll as it is now) and let us gain 100x speed gains for as many skill points as we already had.

Or even better just give us pool of action points in the same amount we already earned (1100 for fully leveled character, or less for partially leveled, if you decide to reroll sooner) we can reroll instantly - you reroll character and just assign your so far collected skill points. We need to keep professions out of this though, so people don't switch crafts on demand. This can have some sort of cooldown as well to prevent possible abusing - 24h or even 7day cooldown.

EDIT:Though I admit second option is very close to your idea, I'd just prefer to keep those saved builds on login screen or some other place as bank - being it 'physical' item in bank suggests it can be lost / deleted by accident and taking space that I'd rather fill with stack of Crepite :).

Last edited:

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
I suggested something similar. You get something called "mortal forms."

Mortal forms have their own race/attributes/active skills. You can switch between them at a priest.

However, at the account level you have the "Soul". Priests and spiritualists can recognize a player's soul. Due to this:
1. Reputation is universal.
2. No using alternate characters as a means of teleportation or boulder holding.
3. Players with the proper skills can help ensure changing forms doesn't mean dodging a bad community rep.

In fact, this system could make it darn near impossible to dodge a rep as I would say the soul should remain in place even if you delete all your forms and attempt to start clean.

On the profession end, I agree, I'd keep it at the soul/account level rather than the form/character level.

And I'd use this to entirely remove the profession skillcap and make skills harder to level so you have to actually work at mastering professions rather than getting a freebie profession per account you buy. I'd also dramatically change how crafting levels in light of this, turning crafting into a lengthier process filled with player interaction with the game rather than a pure resource dump. A major change, but a majorly game-enhancing one for anyone who actually deserves to be a crafter.

ixxxo

Mar 27, 2021
I suggested something similar. You get something called "mortal forms."

Mortal forms have their own race/attributes/active skills. You can switch between them at a priest.

However, at the account level you have the "Soul". Priests and spiritualists can recognize a player's soul. Due to this:
1. Reputation is universal.
2. No using alternate characters as a means of teleportation or boulder holding.
3. Players with the proper skills can help ensure changing forms doesn't mean dodging a bad community rep.

In fact, this system could make it darn near impossible to dodge a rep as I would say the soul should remain in place even if you delete all your forms and attempt to start clean.

On the profession end, I agree, I'd keep it at the soul/account level rather than the form/character level.

And I'd use this to entirely remove the profession skillcap and make skills harder to level so you have to actually work at mastering professions rather than getting a freebie profession per account you buy. I'd also dramatically change how crafting levels in light of this, turning crafting into a lengthier process filled with player interaction with the game rather than a pure resource dump. A major change, but a majorly game-enhancing one for anyone who actually deserves to be a crafter.

I quite like the idea (though it's tad bit more intricate to implement than simple build templates let's say). I'd only add also guards should recognize account reputation besides priests and spiritualists :).

Kaemik

Nov 28, 2020
Oh for sure, guards would know reputation, but the explanation behind this lore-wise is that the priests told them. The priests have the magic to determine a soul and that is why NPCs respond to soul reputation rather than character reputation.

Reactions: Rikart and ixxxo

Kokolo

May 3, 2021
Logistically idk how feasible this idea is, but I do agree that 1 character feels bad. I think 2 characters might be the sweet spot.

You can't be self sufficient with just 2 characters, in a lot of cases your main crafter can't do both gathering and crafting without sacrificing some proficiency somewhere.

I'd be happy with this. 2 characters and souldbound reputation, maybe even guild affiliation. Can't do everything, but easily switch when you grow tired of 1 playstyle.

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
Some good ideas here but SV went this way to force players to have to make the hard decisions of what they want to be and to try to prevent players from having "log out farmers" in dungeons etc.

Anything that allows more builds will take away from players interaction which is one of the things SV is adamant about keeping.

Longer, more in depth crafting does appeal to me (I would like to have to go searching for the perfect piece of wood to make a good bow or a correctly twisted branch to make a legendary twisted handle...I digress) and I'm sure it does to others but I can't see the majority going for it as it will effect how fast they can get pvp ready.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
Some good ideas here but SV went this way to force players to have to make the hard decisions of what they want to be and to try to prevent players from having "log out farmers" in dungeons etc.

I'm pretty sure henrik said we won't have the ability to logout just anywhere in the future. You'd have to put a camp down and you can only set up camp in open areas, there would be no more camping next to dungeon chests ideally. Who knows if this functionality is in before persistent.

Tbh (If we had to stick to the 'one character per account) I almost would prefer you to be able to have 2 characters where you decide which one is a crafter and which one is the combat character, at least then you can delete and remake the combat character to follow the meta when SV inevitably implements something broken AF.

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
I'm pretty sure henrik said we won't have the ability to logout just anywhere in the future. You'd have to put a camp down and you can only set up camp in open areas, there would be no more camping next to dungeon chests ideally. Who knows if this functionality is in before persistent.

Tbh (If we had to stick to the 'one character per account) I almost would prefer you to be able to have 2 characters where you decide which one is a crafter and which one is the combat character, at least then you can delete and remake the combat character to follow the meta when SV inevitably implements something broken AF.
Following the meta is another thing SV doesn't want, they want you to really have to think about the downsides to remaking your character.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
Following the meta is another thing SV doesn't want, they want you to really have to think about the downsides to remaking your character.

Right, so the only people allowed to follow the meta will be people who have multiple accounts and have a re-roll account. Nice.

Guess I'll have to cross my fingers so that my playstyle ends up being meta, and if it's C tier for 6 months then get bent I guess?

I get the idea of making a choice, but 1 seems too limiting. At least with 2 characters you can have one brute-ish character and one smart character (or any other combination) so you can experience two different playstyles to keep the game interesting. Not everyone is cool with playing the same way for 10 years.

ixxxo

Mar 27, 2021
try to prevent players from having "log out farmers" in dungeons etc.

I believe this can be prevented programatically (if you log out in the cave, you get booted in front of entrance or similar, many games have this type of protection implemented already).

ixxxo

Mar 27, 2021

They might not like it, but I assure you players love it and significant portion of them will go for meta character no matter the cost. And I am ok with that, if nothing else, it's an incentive for developers to balance skills better.

Reactions: Kelzyr

ixxxo

Mar 27, 2021
Longer, more in depth crafting does appeal to me (I would like to have to go searching for the perfect piece of wood to make a good bow or a correctly twisted branch to make a legendary twisted handle...I digress)

I would like this as well, there still is the PVP balance thing where most rare/expensive things are reserved for high end pvp/pve, and regular tier pvp gear will be something commonly achievable.

Archiel

Apr 5, 2021
Right, so the only people allowed to follow the meta will be people who have multiple accounts and have a re-roll account. Nice.

Guess I'll have to cross my fingers so that my playstyle ends up being meta, and if it's C tier for 6 months then get bent I guess?

I get the idea of making a choice, but 1 seems too limiting. At least with 2 characters you can have one brute-ish character and one smart character (or any other combination) so you can experience two different playstyles to keep the game interesting. Not everyone is cool with playing the same way for 10 years.
Don't get me wrong single character will effect me negatively as well, I'm just trying to see from SV perspective and also show players what they have said on the matter.

Morwen

Mar 18, 2021

Anything that allows more builds will take away from players interaction which is one of the things SV is adamant about keeping.

Longer, more in depth crafting does appeal to me (I would like to have to go searching for the perfect piece of wood to make a good bow or a correctly twisted branch to make a legendary twisted handle...I digress) and I'm sure it does to others but I can't see the majority going for it as it will effect how fast they can get pvp ready.

People who want to have several characters will still have them, they will just create new accounts.

SV should give the option to buy a couple character slots.

If the issue is logging out farmers or whatever it can be solved in any other ways that dont allowing more characters per account.

Right now having a character locked down in a town and with the size of the map being impossible to travel quickly it will kill the game and player activity because you will log in, see nothing to do in your town and log out.

With several character slots you could have different characters on different parts of the map and still have something to do on any of them.

Weathermore

Apr 5, 2021
Two characters is the sweet spot. I doubt this happens, because the one character per account system is a way for them to make money.

So what I would at the very least prefer to see happen, is a way to login more than one account without needing multiple copies of Steam (stand-alone client), or a way to pay monthly for multiple accounts instead of subbing more accounts.

Kelzyr

Sep 22, 2020
Two characters is the sweet spot. I doubt this happens, because the one character per account system is a way for them to make money.

So what I would at the very least prefer to see happen, is a way to login more than one account without needing multiple copies of Steam (stand-alone client), or a way to pay monthly for multiple accounts instead of subbing more accounts.

don't give them ideas, just force 2 characters per account lol

It would be way easier to just unlock access to another character than all that! 2 Chars!!!!